Bonding to our "T"s

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont think its strange to have an emotional bond to a "T" as well as a scientific interest, and I know I'm not the exception on the boards. When I've lost a "T", friends have said "its just a spider man", it gives me a twinge of anger. I guess they just don't get it. I don't go wailing about but I find it very sad, I guess its because they live so long or whatever.

When Talkenlate lost that big poki, that just sucked for me though, and it wasn't even my "T".

How many have a strictly scientific view of their "t"s and
how many have an emotional tie as well.

I probably won't get many if any replies because people dont like getting sappy I guess. lol

Last edited:

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with you all the way. I love my T's and don't think it's strange or "sappy" at all. I am fascinated by their nature scientifically and their interactions with each other. The biggest gift they give me by far though, is their interaction with me. I feel their love for me too. Thanks for the post!

sylverbullit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think when my T dies, I 'll be upset. It's a living organism that you spend alot of time taking care of. I don't know how people could not get even a bit attached.

My little sister doesn't understand how I could be "attached to a bug". I just ask her how she could get attached to a pair of shoes!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Both for me. Although it is def a one sided affection.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Both for me. Although it is def a one sided affection.
This. Tarantulas don't feel love, affection, or probably much of anything besides "eat it," "run from it," "fight it," and "ignore it." But I don't have to convince myself they're anything they're not - they're gonna be themselves no matter what, and I love 'em for it. :D

Living creatures are definitely more interesting than shoes. Do I have to turn in my girl card now? {D

bluebie7

Arachnopeon
I just got some T's today and its like love at first sight lol. all 6 are looking great they ate as soon as I dropped crickets in. i mean i have a scientific interest. i also think i will develop a bond with them since thier all just slings, i think watching them grow would get me attached to them.

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
I have different bonds with all of my pets.

Sure I'm not as close to my T as I am to my cats, gerbils or budgie - but I adore him to bits and I will be incredibly sad when he passes, because he's under my care so it's impossible not to feel for him.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am with you all the way I am very intrigued by them and i try to keep an accurate log of their behavior, feeding, molting etc... but I do have an emotional bond with them as well i even talk to mine but everyone thinks im crazy i tell them ill be crazy when they start talking back

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This thread hit me like a ton of bricks. I know exactly what you mean, when a T dies. It dosn't even have to be your own. I have an emotional attachment with my "pets" buddies like i would with my mother/father or g/f, I even try to avoid the threads about lost T's/Scorp's/what have you. I definately see them as completely fascinating creatures from a scientific standpoint but, it's hard to explain. You have to truly understand.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
...i even talk to mine but everyone thinks im crazy i tell them ill be crazy when they start talking back
Me too.... and you called it.... If they answer back, I'm commiting myself. Luckily they won't, just like various body parts, plants, the sun, rocks, and the various other things I talk at frequently.

I have a bond I suppose. I love 'em a lot, and care for their well being. I'd not shed a tear though for their loss. Don't know what that means though. I'd not shed a tear for the loss of anything non-human.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow, thanks for showing your vulnerable side guys, I guess i should have expected this since we are on a "T" board, we all love our "T"s

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a strong scientific curiousity and a deep love and respect for my children as I call them. Most of mine I have raised from 1/4" slings to adults each one has it's own uniqueness that keeps me intrigued.{D {D

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that a lot of the bonding comes from caring for them and investing time, money and emotions in their husbandry. I know (and I am one) people who refer to them as their "kids", or to their reptiles as such.

I suppose we are engineered this way, as we have strong parental care insticts, which can trigger hormones (oxytocin, progesterone ect.) that make you bonded with things you care for (weather it be people, t's, plants, w/e)

It would be interesting to map the different changes in brain function and hormone levels in people who care for pets as opposed to those who care for children and have a control group of people who are completely free of dependents. Research indicates that women who are around children or babies, after their reproductive age, live longer. And people with pets as well. Wonder if the same goes for caring for T's?

As for the issue of T's giving back love, I think that all living creatures exchange energy, and that when you project pure, caring, selfless love, then goodness comes back to you.

I'm certain the T's won't make you friendship bracelets, but there exists a connection.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it's just the same with me. I'm bond to my spiders because I feel responsible for them. If I was keeping flies it would be just the same. I feed it, provide it with everything, so if it dies - It's probably me that made this little bug life be wasted.

I have a scientific approach in anything else, I think. If my T had lost a leg, I wouldn't have be as much sorry, as curious about how to make it straight again. Also - I don't keep them for their "personalities". I just find them interesting.

Last edited:

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Basically...I always have some of my best friend's hanging around listening to Guns N Roses with me.

*Shrug* Just me but I'd take hanging out with my T's over most humans anyday.

Drumming my butt...they're just rocking out!

Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Basically...I always have some of my best friend's hanging around listening to Guns N Roses with me.

*Shrug* Just me but I'd take hanging out with my T's over most humans anyday.

Drumming my butt...they're just rocking out!

Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum
Do they move to the rhythm when you play:D

rjustice7

Arachnopeon
I would cry like a little girl if I lost a T! Well, probably not like a little girl...but it would bother me to some degree!