Blue T for my grandmother

NickC4

Arachnosquire
Dude, your grandma is so awsome..I cant convince my parents to hold one, let alone OWN one!
Plus if someones ever picking on you or her you can just say your grandma has a deadly tarantula that will eat your face off in a heart beat so back off. Mild exaggeration but it gets the point across:)

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The whole giving any tarantula to a grandmother with a weak heart sounds like a bad idea to me. Even if she got an Avicularia Versicolor and it decided to run a thousand miles an hour out of the cage, it's bound to provoke some sort of accelerated heart rate. I've also heard pamphobeteus ultramarinus mentioned and a few others that aren't the easiest (if not extremely difficult) to acquire in the US. Only blue spiders I'm familiar with are a hand full of Avicularias, H. Lividum, Lampropelma violaceopes, poecilotheria metallica and the feet of a Idiothele mira. None of these are a good idea if she intends to stick her hand in the cage, versicolors are extremely fast and P. metallicas and L. Violaceopes make versicolors seem slow in comparison to their speed. H. Lividum would be a pet hole and any attempt to touch it would result in a very unpleasant bite.

It's great she thinks blue tarantulas are cool and it's awesome that you guys are close but a pet tarantula for a woman with a weak heart is just a terrible idea. Adding any possibility that she might put her hand in the cage is just a recipe for total disaster. No tarantula venom that is recorded to-date is lethal by itself but adding the factor of being old and having a weak heart, even if she got bit by a Chilean Rose that you spray painted blue, the speed at which a tarantula attacks and the pain of two fangs inserting themselves into her could (God Forbid) do more damage as a result of shock then the venom could even begin to do.

Anyway, sorry to be a buzzkill but with the best interests of your grandmother in mind, please reconsider.

Eric

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Get her an OBT or an H. lividium ;) Very calm and composed T's even though they aren't blue :biggrin:

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I sat my grandmother down and had a serious talk about the effects, what to expect, care, ect. At this point I trust her not to stick her hand in the cage or prod at it for any reason. At this point I trust her not to stick her hand in the cage for any reason. In the first place I didn't really expect her to be putting her hand in the cage for any reason, but you really never know with anyone, thats why on the just in case I didn't want to get her anything with potent venom or very defensive. I have decided on ordering her a A. versicolor. I showed it to her as an adult and spiderling, she is super interested in raising one, and I wouldn't buy one for her If I didn't trust her with it. In the mean time I am allowing her to care for one of my A. avics that I have handled twice to show friends that there are even friendly spiders. Super calm, not prone to bolting, pretty chill individual specimen. I am doing this to assure she doesn't get bored of it, and to make sure she listens to my instructions as to feeding, giving water, ect.

2oCHEVYo0: -_-

Also as to the heart thing, her heart isn't terrible, and i'm not going to expose family business, but recently we have had much worse happen than a tarantula bolting with no ill effects to her heart. Also I get all of my tarantulas delivered to her house, seeing as I live in a house that was turned into 3 apartments and the mail man always mixes up our neighbors and ours regular mail, not to mention the pizza man never has any idea which door to knock at, therefore I don't trust tarantulas being delivered to my place. I have had two slings bolt while unpacking. She is not afraid of them. Didn't phase her at all. Her heart isn't terrible, I just don't think the effects of an OW bite on any elderly person. That is even considering anything would be done to provoke it to bite. I'm just taking extra precautions by going NW.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
For an elderly lady with a not-so-great heart? Tapinauchenius are incredibly fast, have potent venom, and are no strangers to escapes.
They might have venom that is a little hotter then other NWs but I wouldn't say "potent".

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They might have venom that is a little hotter then other NWs but I wouldn't say "potent".
Out of curiosity - would you say Tappie venom is on the line with Psalm venom? Both are more on the intermediate side, right? I actually thought, that Tappie venom is a lot more painful, but with less chances of more annoying effects like vomitting and the like (which some reported on Psalm bites).

Last edited:

TexasTreeViper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, I did read the whole thread so your assumption is false although I like how you stated that "obviously" I didn't read it though. What made you decide to call me a troll when just one post above me someone else made a suggestion? You have some sort of problem with me that made you choose to call me out?

panterafreak21

Arachnopeon
ive posted a few times on this thread. after some thought i came up with this idea. As this is an older lady with heart problems, although not blue why not buy her a Cyriocosmus elegans. It may not be blue, but they do have a little heart patch on there abdomans.. on a plus note they dont get more then 1-1.5 inches at most from what ive seen.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, the OP has already decided on an A. versicolor. So no point in any further suggestions.