Blood everywhere!!!!!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..........Inside of this tank lol...This is my baby i got about a week or so ago....I was told it was a borneo I think..The biggest of all the BLood pythons..he/she is on large rats... i cant wait to see how much poop this one drops ughh

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol, you aren't that same guy that cried wolf are you:? :rolleyes:

Nice bloods, wouldn't look forward to the poop though. lol

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how big is it? is it fairly docile or is it aggressive?

i had a borneo blood back about 1yr-1.5yrs ago, was only about 12". i was told they were sorta defensive... anyhoo, i had it for about 3 months, then it got sick and died. idk why, it was one of two snakes i've ever owned that died on me. the other was a WC baby ball python.. that explains everything as to why it died. at the time though, i wasn't as knowledgeable as i am now, so now i'd never a wc ball.

-dan-

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I havent actually bothered to pick him up yet and i wanna take pictures with him in my hands but i need someone else to hold the camera so i can support his body weight correctly with both hands.

but as far as i know its a good snake. these tend to be nippy as babies but the more you hold them the more they become docile.

but I can but my hand in there and pet him all i want. he doesnt hiss or strike and he doesnt bite.

In my opinion when people arent sure about new snakes that they get (past the baby size) i think the best time to handle them is after you have fed them because usually aggressive snakes are a little less agressive after they have been fed.

But again thats just MY opinion its not a fact. just something I think would make sense.

Animals are some what like people, we are usually cranky as hell if you bother us and we havent eating all day. but as soon as you feed us we are happy people lol.

boidaddic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For one, its certainly not a borneo, they are more of a brown color. I believe you have a sumatran, and the tank your using needs some work man. I keep bloods and they need their humidity, I made this mistake when getting into them and dealt with alot of respiratory issues. I'd suggest using cypress mulch as that is whats worked best for me. It concerns me a bit about your handling theory as well, as snakes will regurge if handled after eating. Not to sound rude, but this is not a "beginner" snake, not because of their demeanor but because of their husbandry requirements which you dont seem to be meeting. I'm not saying get rid of it just PLEASE research an animal BEFORE you buy it and save you and the animal some grief. Good luck and I hope you enjoy this snake as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Peace,
Eric

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe Eric is correct. I also think it is Sumatran. I also agree that after feeding a snake and handling it, it will regurge. What has worked for me, and still does, is to use a snake hook and bring the snake out. Once you have it securely on the hook, move it to your hand. Then switch over. Make sure the snake feels secure in your hands and you should not have any problems. By the way, that is a MAGNIFICENT specimen!!! I have always wanted one but have not got around to it yet. I have owned several Red Tails in the past. Keep the snake and enjoy it.

David

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe Eric is correct. I also think it is Sumatran. I also agree that after feeding a snake and handling it, it will regurge. What has worked for me, and still does, is to use a snake hook and bring the snake out. Once you have it securely on the hook, move it to your hand. Then switch over. Make sure the snake feels secure in your hands and you should not have any problems. By the way, that is a MAGNIFICENT specimen!!! I have always wanted one but have not got around to it yet. I have owned several Red Tails in the past. Keep the snake and enjoy it.

David
I was just calling it a borneo because I was told it was one sorry for making a mistake geez lol.

and I never said I was going to handle it after eating I have five snakes in total and I already know about the 24 hour minimum rule of handling at least whole day after they eat. And the humidity for this snake is fine I use newspaper for this guy and most of my other snakes not countin my brazilian rainbow boa which needs humidity so i use cypress mulch and all my snakes do just fine.

I have a rainbow boa as I said on cyprus I have two BCIs on newspaper (one in a tank one in a tub) and I have a king snake in a tank. all are doing well.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
bp2, I wasn't passing judgement ;P Just putting in my 2 cents. I am not here to flame anyone. I learn, you learn, everybody learns. I like these boards. I get a chance to give info and receive it. I'm pretty sure you are the same way. Anyways, besides a Blood, the other snake I would love to have is a Rainbow. You have both so I am jealous (take THAT for a compliment :drool: ). So, I am sure that you probably know the snake hook trick then. OK. Have fun with the critters and I hope to see you on other threads. Talk at you soon {D

David

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
eh i got a question is that a heat pad i see directly on plastic?
yes it is dubz but i use newspaper to cover it so the snake isnt directly on it.

heat pads do not melt through rubbermaid bins at all not even the slightest so its safe.

that was when i first got the snake and forgot to put the news papers in there so i had to take him out then do it again

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes it is dubz but i use newspaper to cover it so the snake isnt directly on it.

heat pads do not melt through rubbermaid bins at all not even the slightest so its safe.

that was when i first got the snake and forgot to put the news papers in there so i had to take him out then do it again
Hmm i was under the impression it would melt, now that i know that im pumped, does this include all rubbermaid containers even like the non see through blue ones? and where do you put the news paper directly in the tub with the snake?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm i was under the impression it would melt, now that i know that im pumped, does this include all rubbermaid containers even like the non see through blue ones? and where do you put the news paper directly in the tub with the snake?

As far as I know if it doesn't melt the rubbermaid ones I use it shouldnt melt the non clear ones either because I think those are thicker.

And yes the newspaper goes inside the tank. cover the whole bottom of the tank but dont make it too thick or the heat from the heating pad might not get through and heat the snake.

also tubs are great because they hold humidity BETTER than tanks of any kind.

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
um why is ther n0o substarte in the pythons cage i Think that is a major component of a cage substrate use newspaper oh and I saw the same pic on reptic zone 1 mouse a week will do fine

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ballpython2 do you keep them in tupperware tubs the duration of their lives? Is there tubs big enough for them because i was thinking of getting a blood or a ball but was turned off at the price of cages especially for when the snake gets larger.

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i mean really why would you keep an animal without substrate it cruel

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ballpython2 do you keep them in tupperware tubs the duration of their lives? Is there tubs big enough for them because i was thinking of getting a blood or a ball but was turned off at the price of cages especially for when the snake gets larger.
Yes ball pythons can probably fit on a 106 QT tub as adults.

As far as Blood pythons go I dont think they can at all so you can use sterlite tubs for a baby ball and save up the money for a tank. since blood pythons dont move around too much i think a 55 gallon tank or a 40 breeder should be fine for an adult.

Does this sound correct to eevryone else who has or had own bloods now or in the past?

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Snakemaster i dont know if your being sarcastic or not but if you read the other posts BP2 stated they use substrate it just was not in it for the pic. Maybe you should follow your quote a little closer.

J dubz