Blondi vs Mouse

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jesses said:
Speaking of mice, has anyone found a way to slow down a feeder mouse so that it will not be able to run so fast or bite your tarantula? Perhaps some kind of drug tha can be easily administered that will slow it down or make it sleepy without effecting the tarantula... The only recommendation I've heard so far is punching the mouse in the head so it gets stunned, but I don't think this is the result I'm looking for

Peanut butter before feeding, this would occupy the mouth of the mouse maybe? it sure occupies my GF's cats for at least 30 mins...

stewartb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

To Defiler, Danread and Fry. Excellent points, could not agree with you more.

With regards to the law in in the UK, it (Rightly in my opinion) exists to prevent the unnecerssary suffering of verterbrates (Caused by humans). (Before anyone asks, inverts, are not considered to be sentient beings, and thus do not require such protection)

The bottom line is that feeding live verts to theraphosids causes suffering that is ultimatley un- necerssary. (I have yet to find a t that will not eat defrosted mice.) If the individual wishes to carry out such an activity, then that is their choice, and I personally will not tell them they should not. All I would say is please don,t try to justify it it with spurious argments like "it will only eat live mice", "its natural", "the spider enjoys eating live mice" etc.

As others have mentioned, there are are a lot of looneys out there who would like to see the hobby stopped. Posting of such pics could prove to be detrimental to the spider keeping hobby. I would suggest that people think twice about why they post such thread, and what do we actually gain from them????

Regards,

Andy.

Finally, with refrence to Great Britain loosing the "Great", I could not disagree more. I consider myself privaliged to live in the UK an am proud of my country despite its falts. This is particuarly true when comparing it to many other countrys in the world, where people are starving, or living in war zones etc. I would suggest to anyone who is is not happy with the country they live it that the go and live somewhere else if it that bad.

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not even going to get into this convo..haha... but i will say to jesses...ether...my answer to anything...haha!....could you jsut throw a cotton ball of ether in with the mouse for like 20 mins.... that would slow its reactions down.... i dunno if it would work just a thought...

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"praying to the mods"

PLEASE O GREAT AND POWERFUL MODS...CLOSE THIS THREAD! IT HAS GONE SO FAR OFF THE TOPIC I STARTED.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
PLEASE O GREAT AND POWERFUL MODS...CLOSE THIS THREAD! IT HAS GONE SO FAR OFF THE TOPIC I STARTED.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Phoenix,

What do you think gives you the right to decide when a thread should be closed or not? It hasn't degraded into any personal insults, so why close it. There is stil some very good points being made. As for it getting off topic, i dont think so, the majority of the threads are discussing the pros and cons of feeding live mice, which very much relates to your last thread.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
uhh maybe because i started the thread. and it has gone way off the original topic. maybe you should read the whole thread...

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
uhh maybe because i started the thread. and it has gone way off the original topic. maybe you should read the whole thread...

This is a public forum, just because you started a thread does not mean you have the right to close it down, or to try to lobby the mods to close it down because other members have different opinions to you.

The original post was about feeding mice to tarantulas, and it has generated a discussion about feeding mice to tarantulas. I fail to see how it has gone off topic.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stewartb said:
The bottom line is that feeding live verts to theraphosids causes suffering that is ultimatley un- necerssary. (I have yet to find a t that will not eat defrosted mice.)
I dont think the animal suffers more from being fed to a tarantula than it would slowly freezing to death in a cooler. Get real. :rolleyes:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
danread said:
This is a public forum, just because you started a thread does not mean you have the right to close it down, or to try to lobby the mods to close it down because other members have different opinions to you.

The original post was about feeding mice to tarantulas, and it has generated a discussion about feeding mice to tarantulas. I fail to see how it has gone off topic.

actually i am trying to prevent an arguement, this thread has already had religous slander,and the beginnings of arguements. not to mention that i did not start this thread to get a discussion about "natural" or "not natural" personally i dont give a <POOP> what you or anyone else feeds their inverts.
IF THIS THREAD GETS CLOSED SO BE IT, IF NOT GREAT AND FINE TOO. I'M DONE POSTING IN THIS THREAD...
---PEACE

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
Im not even going to get into this convo..haha... but i will say to jesses...ether...my answer to anything...haha!....could you jsut throw a cotton ball of ether in with the mouse for like 20 mins.... that would slow its reactions down.... i dunno if it would work just a thought...
Would it really be safe to feed your T a mouse that has been exposed to ether?

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello,

With regards to the law in in the UK, it (Rightly in my opinion) exists to prevent the unnecerssary suffering of verterbrates (Caused by humans). (Before anyone asks, inverts, are not considered to be sentient beings, and thus do not require such protection)QUOTE]

How does having a spine make something "sentient"? An octopus is far more "intelligent" than an anole so is it a string of bones down one's back that makes you "sentient" rather than intelligence?

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello,

With regards to the law in in the UK, it (Rightly in my opinion) exists to prevent the unnecerssary suffering of verterbrates (Caused by humans). (Before anyone asks, inverts, are not considered to be sentient beings, and thus do not require such protection)

The bottom line is that feeding live verts to theraphosids causes suffering that is ultimatley un- necerssary. (I have yet to find a t that will not eat defrosted mice.) If the individual wishes to carry out such an activity, then that is their choice, and I personally will not tell them they should not. All I would say is please don,t try to justify it it with spurious argments like "it will only eat live mice", "its natural", "the spider enjoys eating live mice" etc.
No offense but just because something doesn't have a spine doesn't mean it's incapable of suffering. Wake up and smell the coffee.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FelixA9 said:
No offense but just because something doesn't have a spine doesn't mean it's incapable of suffering. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Stewart was talking on behalf of those that impose the English laws, not his personal views. You've got to understand that vertebrates are considered to be capable of 'experiencing sensation or feeling' -being sentient- most probably due to their similarities to humans, aswell as the popularity of them as pet species. I'd think that the extreme amount of vertebrate domestication has lead to this, and for terms such as "intelligence" being applicable. There's also other factors, that based on no research I may guess has to do further with human similarites. Things such as lifestyles, lifespan, reproduction etc, that humans generally respect and nurture. Also beliefs that are portrayed through parenting in regards to animals such as dogs etc. I'll stop with this for now...

Intelligence, as we adminstrate the word, doesn't apply to 'instinctal behaviour'; it's this type of intelligence you're talking about that has moulded every species of invert to live the way it does: a spider retreating from a stimulus isn't intelligence, for example. Inverts are rarely valued individually as a vertebrate may be.

As a synopsis, invertebrates generally arn't loved, and a good handful of them are somewhat 'feared' and phobic inducing. Even if the spineless wonders do ironically make the backbone of our Earth, it doesn't mean everyone appreciates and respects them.

Jesses - Are you being serious about you've never seen a spider talk 'dead' prey in a scavenging fashion?

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
'Experience sensation or feeling' applies to pretty much every animal in the world. And even some plants. Does this mean that they shouldn't be used as live food either?

I'm pretty sure the methods of pre-killing mice are a lot more traumatic than geeting bit and poisoned by a tarantula.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
DracosBana said:
I'm pretty sure the methods of pre-killing mice are a lot more traumatic than geeting bit and poisoned by a tarantula.
I’m sure that could the case when ppl have no idea how kill there feeders but its not hard too read and learn how too kill rodents cleanly with your own hands, and In no way is being envenomnated by something as mild as a say a brachy going to be as clean or as quick as say death in a CO2 tank as most bought frozen rodents are.

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess the sarcasm was a little too dry on that last line of my post. I've actually done disections of mice for some of my biology classes (when I was still in school) what we were told to do is etherize them, then while they're out, hold their head and pull back on their body, thereby severing their spine. That seems about the least traumatic way I can think of to kill a mouse.

If the tarantula won't take pre-killed food, have you tried holding it with a pair of forcepts and simulating movement? This might trick the T into thinking the food is still living. I only say this cause I had some trouble with my Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) not taking prey that wasn't moving (I had to give it some antibiotics, so I figured I'd bury it in a cricket) wiggling it in fromnt of him did the trick though.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As for Ts not caring what they eat I have to dissagree. I believe all animals have their own prefrenses on what to eat. Example, I sometimes feed my scorpions lizards, they eat it faster, and they eat more of it than crickets. Most the times when I feed them crickets they only eat whats nessesary to survive another week.
My freinds T is the same way, only with pinkies.
The only objection I have to feeding pets live food is the risk of your Tarantula, scorpion, snake etc getting seriously harmed. It's foolish to feed them mice unless ofcourse you found a way of feeding them something of their preferred taste without the risk of it harming your pet.
I feed my pets lizards, being they cant do any harm in any way to them.
I inspecially think its okay when they get a quick death from a T bite.
But remember when feeding them live inverts things can go terribly wrong, I learned this lesson the hard way when feeding my corn snake a live mouse. The snake lost its eye and died of infection. This could have easily been avioded if I had used a diffrent method for feeding.
Another thing to consider when choosing what to feed your T is do I want a pet, or a specimon? Do I want to just see how nature works upclose? or a pet to take care of? If you have a pet then you should not feel obligated to feed it something living, after all would you fee your pet cat a feeder mouse?
I also believe that we all can enjoy a good preview of "the circle of life" in action.

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Would it really be safe to feed your T a mouse that has been exposed to ether?

i dont see why not... when a feisty tarantula needs to get a leg removed etc, its recommened to put it with a cotton ball of ether to slow it down... but it would just be easier to throw it in the fridge for 20 mins to slow down there reactions.... but that wouldnt work for mice... and then i was thinking, why not just duct tape the mouses head...it would be running around trying to get tape off its head... and bam the tarantula grabs it problem solved...lol i dont no maybe im being unrealistic??? ;P
~Meagan~

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
and then i was thinking, why not just duct tape the mouses head...it would be running around trying to get tape off its head... and bam the tarantula grabs it problem solved...lol i dont no maybe im being unrealistic??? ;P
~Meagan~
Good idea, but then agian, you would want your T eating duct tape.