blondi cant climb

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my T blondi cant seem to climb on the sides of its enclosure. it is housed in a 15 gal aquarium with about 4-6 inches of substrate and a large water dish and a large habba hut that is half buried. it seems to want to climb up the sides but looks like it is struggling. any comments???

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
armstrong82 said:
my T blondi cant seem to climb on the sides of its enclosure. it is housed in a 15 gal aquarium with about 4-6 inches of substrate and a large water dish and a large habba hut that is half buried. it seems to want to climb up the sides but looks like it is struggling. any comments???
T. blondi cannot climb glass.

Later,

Jake

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
why not?
I thought every tarantula *could climb, hence the high substrate for when they fall. I know blondi's have a heavy body mass, but when I first got one (my second, what a doorknob) I was also under the impression they couldn't climb (petstore told me so) but of course, when I mentioned that here, I was rebuffed.
Please clarify.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why do you want it to climb. They are Terrestrial, they don't need to climb. Climbing could result in death for a T as large as a T.blondi

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well put Jordan, there is really no point. She could rupture her abdomen doing something like that.

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i didn't say i wanted it to climb. i said it looks like it has been trying to climb but cant. as i look at it right now it is leaned up against the glass, trying to walk up it

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
Why do you want it to climb. They are Terrestrial, they don't need to climb. Climbing could result in death for a T as large as a T.blondi

they don't need to climb? it sounds like your saying that they don't climb in the wild....and they do....hence the name birdeater...they climb right up the trees and clean-out bird's nests... ;P

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so what is wrong with my blondi? it cant seem to even get off the ground if it had to.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. blondi cannot climb GLASS. The key word here is GLASS.

Later,

Jake

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would not really want my blondi to climb if i had one. I dont know why yours want to climb. How is your enclosure like inside?

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
Mattyb said:
they don't need to climb? it sounds like your saying that they don't climb in the wild....and they do....hence the name birdeater...they climb right up the trees and clean-out bird's nests...
As far as I know there is absolutely nothing documented on a T. blondi actually eating birds. The name "birdeater" has often been attached to many species of tarantula due to their size not any tendency to eat birds.

Ron_K

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How old is it? And do you know if it's a male or not. Because the climbing stuff I've seen in my males I've had, when they're mature and "looking" for females. Mine were/are in 20's and they only can get so far in an attempt to climb, but as has been mentioned here, glass isn't easy for them, their bodymass is simply too large. Only other thing I could think of in the climbing think is if you may have changed subtrates lately, or this is a new enclosure for it, and it may just be getting used to it all.

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My t tries to climb glass too. Sometimes it can, sometimes it can't. If it wedges itself in a corner and there is dirt or water deposits to make it rough it can climb- barely. Who cares if it can climb glass or not? Is your T broke because it can't climb glass? No.

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My mature male T. blondi roams and attempts to climb as well, and as stated above, cannot climb glass. He doesn't have far to go and makes a valiant effort only to slide back down. Nothing to worry about (provided your substrate is deep enough to prevent a harmful fall should he somehow achieve height using his surroundings, as mine has attempted to do).

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
it sounds like your saying that they don't climb in the wild....and they do....hence the name birdeater...they climb right up the trees and clean-out bird's nests... ;P
Can you show me documentation of that?

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would like to know where you got those information from that the blondi does that.

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought (or hoped) MattyB was being sarcastic about the whole "birdeating" thing...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ron_K said:
As far as I know there is absolutely nothing documented on a T. blondi actually eating birds. The name "birdeater" has often been attached to many species of tarantula due to their size not any tendency to eat birds.

Ron_K

they do eat birds...and what i explained is true...i seen this on animal planet and clips of it on the internet. I've also talked to a few entomologists about it.

Pedro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what i know T's eating Birds is a VERY debated subject, (like most things to do with T's) whether they do or not, and if they do was the bird dead, alive or somewhere in between and then how much of their diet birds represents. So unless u want a really pointless circular argument i say they probably do, (T's are amazing hunters) but i want to see proof of the more specific facts not just words.