Blaberus giganteus

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Received a group of Blaberus giganteus(5 adults, several large nymphs, maybe 10 smaller nymphs). All I can say is man these are big uns! I think some are close to 3.5 inches(90mm) though I have not measured them. What is the biggest giganteus anyone has seen?

Female.

About 3.25 or a little more.

Some of the adults+nymph.

For those who've been keeping these do non roach people think these are large? To me they seem almost too big to be bugs. But I always here people talking about roaches(probably P. americana) that are "as big as their hand" or whatever.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the ones that areas big as your hands are the rhino roaches in australia... they eat dead leaves

but ne way these are my favorite species of roach

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm planning to get those next!

They are sooo freaken huge!!

Do they bite or anything?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nope.. just fly(sorta) when the get to th edge of your hand, every so often i take one outside and throw it into the air and it flies a few yard away (think how grasshoppers fly) oh and they have those nasty itchy leg spikes

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nope.. just fly(sorta) when the get to th edge of your hand, every so often i take one outside and throw it into the air and it flies a few yard away (think how grasshoppers fly) oh and they have those nasty itchy leg spikes
My discoidis also glides too, its so nice watching them. Discoidis looks almost exactly like giganteus, except their about half the size.

My mom saw my discoidis and she was like OMFG WHERE'S MY BUG SPRAY!!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha...I am a bit surprised as it seems people may be more scared of these then hissers...even though hissers to me are a bit more "eww"(if I can even say that about a bug). I bet Blaptica dubia males would scare the crap out of any non roach person though!

Thedude: Yeah...but whenever you tell people about roaches(or whenever they'd see the hissers I kept)...they'd mention how they saw roaches much bigger down South.

Btw, for the leg spikes...so far I've found these are actually pretty nice. The adults since their wings more than cover their bodies often can't even reach you to kick if you pick them up correctly. The also tend to stay still once picked up instead of squirming everywhere and pricking you like hissers.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol.. alot of people mistake giant water bugs for roaches in VA,NC and FLA but i have seen an american roach thats about 2" long lol. but in short ive never seen ne thing bigger than my huge dead male hisier that i raised from a nymph wich was as big as my S-AM giant roaches lol but that was a rare thing (ive got it mounted) but i love freeking people out w/ my roaches lol

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
err...you're saying you have a 3.25 or so male hisser? Pictures are needed. I no longer keep hissing roaches but I can assuredly say these are way bigger.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not quite three inches...but still pretty big! The cave looks to be about 3 inches flat. Is it a male? The males in my group are a tad smaller.

Also, if you pin another you ought to do it with the wings spread.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not quite three inches...but still pretty big! The cave looks to be about 3 inches flat. Is it a male? The males in my group are a tad smaller.

Also, if you pin another you ought to do it with the wings spread.
yeh about 3 inches for the S-AM giant i am thinking it was female.. i just pulled out one of the biggest S-AM giants i had and put the hisser next to it with a ruler... i actually just did one ith it's wing spread but it's in the freezer to kill the dermestids/phorids on/in it but not any real big damage

oh and hissers abdomens shrink after they die.. he was prolly topping 3-31/2 inches when alive and the best part i tried some selective breeding between him and a big female but there ofspring arnt as big :(.. big but not as big

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heres both of those idividuals babies all growed up

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the male hisser is one of the mid sized ones... the smallest ones are maybe 1inch and a half or so and the mid ones are around 2 and the largest are about almost 2 1/2

the females are pretty big but jus normal large sized females at around 3 inches

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. So if their are some that are 3 inches and 3.25...I wonder if their are any that are 3.5+?

From the same person I got some midget dubias...LOL I need to take a photo of them next to my original dubias as they are maybe 2/3'rds the size.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Eee, I love B. giganteus. I have two females and just bought 3 fm nymphs and one male nymph - hoping to breed if at all possible! If I see any at the expo today I am snatching them right up. They're so gorgeous, very mellow about handling, and really only the males seem inclined to fly... and as others have mentioned, it's more of a kindof pitiful gliding. rofl. Here's one of mine:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thedude: will do!

roachgirlren: Yeah, they are so chill! My group is heavy on guys, so consider yourself lucky. :)

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How much do these guys normally cost? They seem like a nice species to keep as a non-feeder pet.