Bizarre B. albo Behavior?!

CreeperCrazed

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! So since I received my curly hair sling as a freebie over a year ago, she has always been EXTREMELY skittish. Not "normal sling skittish" but actually a little crazy. She has never been aggressive at all toward me, but will literally sprint around and ramp off of my hands every time I try and get her out. The other albo sling I have is reclusive as well, but not nearly as spooky when I get him out.

I have never seen a sling as utterly terrified as she is out of the 20 something Ts I've had. I was just wondering if this is normal passing behavior, even for a "calm and docile" curly hair, or if I just have a nutsy little spider.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Remingtonsteel

Arachnopeon
I think it's just different personalities that Ts have,for,instance,my obt mature male has always been docile,very quick but has never once thrown up a threat pose,and also some slings tend to be very skittish as young I can wear off as they get bigger or it doesn't in the case of my b.boehmei,as soon as I lift of te lid it scuttles across its enclosure as it kicks hairs!,but as said Ts just have different personalities

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
it all depends on the T. iv got a 1.25" b albo whos a chill as can be. he will just grab a live or prekilled roach from my tongs with no jump just grabs and eats if id let him [i prefer to drop live in now so he actually hunts] to where as iv heard some people with 4+" females who are as bad at kicking as a boemei, and even ones who are super shy/skittish and refuse to be seen. it all depends on the T.

my buddy on a herps forum has a 3" male who thinks hes an old world. never kicks,not even for a mat[from what we can tell] goes strait for the hand with fangs out, kinda funny if you ask me XD

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Compared to my other Ts, my matured female B.albo is my only spider that doesn't want to touch a human hand. If she tries to climb out her enclosure and you lay your hand where her legs touch, she would quickly raise it up as if she stepped on something hot or disgusting. I find it normal since then and never tried to let her climb my hand again

CreeperCrazed

Arachnopeon
Huh.... Looks like I'll be finding her a new home I guess. Thanks everyone for your stories!! :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What do you mean "try to get her out?"
That, if it's for the sake of "handling". Slings are way more easily scared than their adult counterparts. Leave it in peace and be a tarantula.

Aside that, if you want something you can handle, get an Euathlus sp. "red" - those walk out willing without touching them once and they're curious as can be even as slings. Admittedly, sometimes a pain to get off you and back into their enclosures since, at least mine, walk in and straight out on the other side. Once they're in "exploratory mode", they just keep wandering :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That, if it's for the sake of "handling". Slings are way more easily scared than their adult counterparts. Leave it in peace and be a tarantula.

Aside that, if you want something you can handle, get an Euathlus sp. "red" - those walk out willing without touching them once and they're curious as can be even as slings. Admittedly, sometimes a pain to get off you and back into their enclosures since, at least mine, walk in and straight out on the other side. Once they're in "exploratory mode", they just keep wandering :D
Lmao thats kinda cute. i kinda hope thats how my little albo is. XD mine just took a few laps around my arm avoiding the cup every chance he/she got lmao wasnt running just explorin normal paced xD

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

CreeperCrazed

Arachnopeon
I already have one haha. He comes out to greet me every time I open his vial. Awesome spiders for sure