Big trapdoor burrow

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i live in queensland australia, and i was walkin round my yard lookin 4 pedes under stones and bits of wood, i found 2 bits of wood that looked great, i'm gonna put them in my lizard tank soon, wen i lifted one i saw something under it, like a wierd lookin bit of earth, i went 2 pick it up 2 c wat it was and it turned out 2 b the lid of the biggest trapdoor burrow i have ever seen, its a lil bigger then the burrow my 15cm selenotypus "glenelva" so wat ever in there is gonna b huge, i'm gonna try and get it out 1day soon, i will try and get a pic of the burrow 4 u

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be careful when messing with that burrow.Chances are that the spider is going to stay there until you go back but when a large predator is tearing its roof off i'm sure it will throw some really nasty strikes at you. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but don't trapdoor spiders have signifigantly potent venom?

Nice find! I hope it is a huge female in there and you catch it without being bitten.

Post pics if you get it!

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think it will b a girl, i will try and get a pic of the burrow 2morrow

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i put a roach on a string down the hole just 2 check if the burrow is occupied and the roach is gone so i know there is something down there

Ant Worker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Use a shovel and dig next to the burrow, taking care not to touch it, do the same on all sides, then you can pull the entire burrow out without a risk of crushing the spider or cutting it with the blade.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recomend straightening out a coat hanger and tickling the spider out of the burrow (gently of course). It's also allot less stressfull than being dug up. Be carefull though!! Being in Oz you cant be sure whats down there (or how potent it's venom may be)!!

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i wuldnt feel cofiend about digging as these guys can go quite deep and also its at the base of a tree so roots may b a problem, i'll do the roach on string trick and c if i can pull him out like that

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
* bites fingernails waiting in anticipation*

lychas probably got bit and ended up in the hospital and we wil never know what it was.
just joking

Last edited:

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
lol, i'm still here, still trying 2 get it out, at least i got some of here babies as they were leaving the nest.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!
WE MUST KNOW!!!!!!!! ;P :clap: :wall:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....the Suspense Is Killing Us. Just Dig The Damn Thing Up ;)

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....the Suspense Is Killing Us. Just Dig The Damn Thing Up ;)
Jajajja!! i was just thinking the same!! what happened? i found a trapdoor at my frontyard almost drown during a heavy rain here... but it is very small... about half an inch... now has the door and stuff done inside the enclosure i put it. When first found it showed a threat pose right away, what an small cutie! :)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
SergioCR said:
Jajajja!! i was just thinking the same!! what happened? i found a trapdoor at my frontyard almost drown during a heavy rain here... but it is very small... about half an inch... now has the door and stuff done inside the enclosure i put it. When first found it showed a threat pose right away, what an small cutie! :)
I understand your suspense, I'm just as excited to hear. But u can't just dig the thing up. Have you ever tried to dig up a Trapdoor spider? Or even a Louse hunter? Their tunnels are insane.

But having said that,

WHAT IN THE WORLD'S TAKING SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Techuser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dont the spider come up if you flood the hole?

Last edited: