Big Docile Tarantula?

8LEGSOVER2

Arachnopeon
I'm Just Getting Back Into The Hobby And Need Sugestions. Ok, I'm Looking For Something 8"+, Docile, And Good Looking. Does Anyone Have Any Sugestions?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammastola aureostriata, they get around 8'' and docile but a pretty slow grower.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RyanC said:
Grammastola aureostriata, they get around 8'' and docile but a pretty slow grower.
That's pretty much the only commonly avaiable T in the hobby right now that fits your criteria.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whiskeypunk said:
That's pretty much the only commonly avaiable T in the hobby right now that fits your criteria.
Plus its pretty cheap and good for the beginner.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ditto that. G. aureostriata is a great T. You won't find anything that's especially docile and larger than that. Perhaps L. parahybana, but you are taking more of a chance of temperment with them, some are more docile, others not so much.

8LEGSOVER2

Arachnopeon
THANKS FOR THE SUGESTION, BUT I ALLREADY HAVE THAT ONE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TYPE. HERE'S WHAT I HAVE:
G. aureostriata
C. fasiatum
B. albopilosum

ANY OTHER SUGESTIONS

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah ive also heard of more docile parahybana's but the only one i have strikes at the forceps lol.girl is a crazy eating machine tho.and always out in the open.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8LEGSOVER2 said:
THANKS FOR THE SUGESTION, BUT I ALLREADY HAVE THAT ONE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TYPE. HERE'S WHAT I HAVE:
G. aureostriata
C. fasiatum
B. albopilosum

ANY OTHER SUGESTIONS
I would say get a L. parahybana then, some will be more docile than others as already stated, maybe you'll be lucky and get a docile one.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C (actually i believe it is now D for Davus) fasciatum does not get very large just so you know. I would suggest you stick with G aureostriata. If you get unlucky with an L parybana, you will get a lot of fang ouch!

8LEGSOVER2

Arachnopeon
OK, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THAT DOCILE, MY C. FASIATUM IS A FIREBALL:evil: AND I STILL HOLD HER. I GUESS SHE IS THE EXCEPTION TO THE SPECIES

Last edited:

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, you can't go wrong with an L. parahybana. They are huge, pretty, and generally docile, although there are always exceptions. I have even heard of psycho G. rosea's. You seem to have all docile T's anyways, you might consider going a step up if you are comfortable.

8LEGSOVER2

Arachnopeon
Snipes said:
C (actually i believe it is now D for Davus) fasciatum does not get very large just so you know. I would suggest you stick with G aureostriata. If you get unlucky with an L parybana, you will get a lot of fang ouch!
IT'S A COSTA RICAN TIGERRUMP(CYCLOSTERNUM FASIATUM) AND YES SHE IS SMALL (4.5")

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Enough of the capps. The reason why people are suggesting docile T's is because you said docile in your question. Please do not ask for opinions and then get mad at people for doing what you asked. Holding your T's is not good, all it does is cause them stress, and I have a feeling that if you were to get bitten, you'd fling it across the room. As for a large T, why not a T. blondi? A. geniculata are also fairly large, good looking and active. Not generally aggressive although sometimes skittish.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Acanthscurria geniculata??? 8"+ fairly docile and good looks what more could ya ask for other than mini skirt and push up bra:D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
Enough of the capps. The reason why people are suggesting docile T's is because you said docile in your question. Please do not ask for opinions and then get mad at people for doing what you asked. Holding your T's is not good, all it does is cause them stress, and I have a feeling that if you were to get bitten, you'd fling it across the room. As for a large T, why not a T. blondi? A. geniculata are also fairly large, good looking and active. Not generally aggressive although sometimes skittish.
We're not going to run the handling debate here and we're definitely, definitely not going to have a battle of the soapboxes here either! There's been enough of that going on in too many threads already. Let's please stick to the topic or we'll have to lock it up.

Last edited:

8LEGSOVER2

Arachnopeon
Fierce Deity said:
I am not mad at anyone. I was simple asking for more than one species as a sugestion. Thanks for the sugestions on other large T's. It is greatly appreciated, sorry if I offended anyone.

2shelbys

Arachnopeon
I would have to agree that you already have the best choice in Grammastola aureostriata. I don't know about L.parahybana. Mine has never assumed a defensive posture but she just loves to throw up clouds of urticating hair at the slightest provocation. She got me on the wrist once about ten years ago. I think I would have preferred being bitten.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
8LEGSOVER2 said:
I'm Just Getting Back Into The Hobby And Need Sugestions. Ok, I'm Looking For Something 8"+, Docile, And Good Looking. Does Anyone Have Any Sugestions?
Curious, are you looking for something which will grow to 8", or is allready 8"?

If you are looking for for a "T" 8" +, you had better have deep pockets, because very few hobbists will part with a speciem of that size and age.

Especially to a person with limited knowledge in the hobby.

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to handle your T, I'll suggest Br. Pulchra. Its not too big, but is maybe the most docile T. I love it more then my Gr Aureostriata. Genics are more nervous, blondies also. I've never even try to handle mine. Its perfect to watch and its quite big, but ....:D