Better Enclosure size for 1" A. geniculata

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I know they grow fast. I have 0 problems rehousing it as many times as needed.

Would you start it in a 2 1/4" square AMAC box or the 4" square AMAC?

hmmmm....

Opinions be great!

Thanks y'all!!

Getting those enclosures in tomorrow and the geniculata Tuesday. 1 week in and I'm adding a 3rd to the collection!!

Taysha

Arachnosquire
I would personally go with the 4 in square, 2 1/4 won't give them much space to stretch out or roam and like you said, fast growing as well, it would need the bigger size in just maybe a molt or so anyway. Congratulation on your new little buddy and welcome to the addiction!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Thank you so much for your opinion. Will definitely listen to more opinions as I have the tendency to use larger enclosures than necessary!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Would love and appreciate to hear our beloved mod @cold blood's opinion! I know he tends to like smaller enclosures for slings!

cold blood

Staff member
at 1" id personally use a 4oz condiment cup or at most a 16oz deli cup.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
at 1" id personally use a 4oz condiment cup or at most a 16oz deli cup. I
I have the 2 different size AMAC boxes I mentioned w/ pre-drilled holes coming tomorrow.

Which of those 2 options would you prefer?

cold blood

Staff member
so youre gonna make me go measure my options??? lol...

a 4oz cup is 3" across, the 16oz is nearly 5.

I think you could use the smaller for a molt, then move it, but you should be ok just using the larger....i just dont like giving the sub depth the larger one offers with slings that size, but that doesnt mean it wont be just fine.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
so youre gonna make me go measure my options??? lol...

a 4oz cup is 3" across, the 16oz is nearly 5.

I think you could use the smaller for a molt, then move it, but you should be ok just using the larger....i just dont like giving the sub depth the larger one offers with slings that size, but that doesnt mean it wont be just fine.
I actually purchased that size for slings thinking the depth was a +. How come you're not a big fan?! (BTW. I knew you weren't pulling out a ruler! Haha)

Thanks!!!!

cold blood

Staff member
I actually purchased that size for slings thinking the depth was a +. How come you're not a big fan?! (BTW. I knew you weren't pulling out a ruler! Haha)

Thanks!!!!
I did bust out the old ruler for ya...haha

I dont like depth for the same reason i dont like over sized enclosures....it encourages excessive burrowing, which IME leads directly to a reduced feeding response and slower growth....likely not as much of an issue with a genic though as theyre basically 8 legged stomachs.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I did bust out the old ruler for ya...haha

I dont like depth for the same reason i dont like over sized enclosures....it encourages excessive burrowing, which IME leads directly to a reduced feeding response and slower growth....likely not as much of an issue with a genic though as theyre basically 8 legged stomachs.
Haha thanks for your expert advice! It will be going in the 4x4. As you said, feeding shouldn't be a problem, especially as I keep my new T room on the warmer side. Also, I think it should grow into it perfectly in no time.

Thank you for using the ruler :)

Appreciate the advice!