Best Poecilotheria spp.?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I only have 2 and they're slings...P. regalis and P. metallica. Interestingly, my P. metallica is the one that is out and about more as my P. regalis built a long thin dirt curtain on its cork piece and mostly hangs out in there. That being said, my regalis is much more relaxed than my metallica, which runs laps around its enclosure at the slightest disturbance...its funny but at the same time makes feeding and watering more difficult. My next Poec will probably be a P. subfusca highland...I know lots of people love the lowland but I like the darker coloration of the highlands.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I'm considering placing an order from a dealer I had a great recent experience with, but unfortunately he doesn't currently have any rufilatas. I really do like their green color.
They're pretty hardy as slings, so anywhere you can get them from is most likely to be OK. They grow pretty fast too and its amazing watching them develop. I got mine in a film camera tub and it ended with legspan over 20cm. Impressive creatures.

Jake J

Arachnochode
I'm so happy the metallica bandwagon isn't present here. I like them all equally, there is no Pokie which is more beautiful, a better eater, more defensive etc than the others, as Rick stated. They're pretty much the same, only variation being coloration/leg patterns. With that being said, P. miranda has a slight edge though, there is just something about them :)
Of all their albums, I'd have to say ...And Justice for All was the best :D
But seriously, I agree they're all gorgeous--the metallicas stand out, so I can see why they have a following, but you're right that they all have their own striking colors and patterns, and I don't see the vibrant blue color warranting spending $150+ on a T. Maybe someday, but for now that one's not even on my list of potential new additions.

louise f

Arachnoangel

Jake J

Arachnochode
I think all of them are nice. This is pics of some of those i have.
But still a lot to collect :)

Those are all so freakin' cool! Okay, I get it, I get it--just pick one (or two, or three) I like and go with it, right??

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I think all of them are nice. This is pics of some of those i have.
But still a lot to collect :)

Is that 4th one from the top a subfusca? (still learning to differentiate Pokies better)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Those are all so freakin' cool! Okay, I get it, I get it--just pick one (or two, or three) I like and go with it, right??
Thanks, yes they are. I would really love to have them all. :) Maybe i will some day

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
metallica, subfusca (highland or lowland), and rufilata. the best of the best IMO.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Interestingly, my P. metallica is the one that is out and about more as my P. regalis built a long thin dirt curtain on its cork piece and mostly hangs out in there.
My P.metallica also was the only one who didn't put up the dirt curtain. It laid down some webbing and would crawl into tight spots to hide but it was usually out most of the time. All five of the other species made dirt hides and was in hiding for a lot of the time.

But seriously, I agree they're all gorgeous--the metallicas stand out, so I can see why they have a following, but you're right that they all have their own striking colors and patterns, and I don't see the vibrant blue color warranting spending $150+ on a T. Maybe someday, but for now that one's not even on my list of potential new additions.
You can pick up slings a lot cheaper than that but if you go to buy a female it can get costly. When I go to evaluate a T price is usually not something I usually consider. However, when I go to buy a T price is more of a factor.

Jake J

Arachnochode
My P.metallica also was the only one who didn't put up the dirt curtain. It laid down some webbing and would crawl into tight spots to hide but it was usually out most of the time. All five of the other species made dirt hides and was in hiding for a lot of the time.

You can pick up slings a lot cheaper than that but if you go to buy a female it can get costly. When I go to evaluate a T price is usually not something I usually consider. However, when I go to buy a T price is more of a factor.
I can't say I've seen a metallica sling for less than $125, not including shipping. Wish I lived in a place where expos were common; I'd probably find some awesome deals.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I can't say I've seen a metallica sling for less than $125, not including shipping. Wish I lived in a place where expos were common; I'd probably find some awesome deals.
Keep looking dude, you can find them for half that price on the classifieds every so often. That's how I got my P. metallica.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Keep looking dude, you can find them for half that price on the classifieds every so often. That's how I got my P. metallica.
Good call, and will do. Matter of fact, I think I'll head over there right now to have a look ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm considering placing an order from a dealer I had a great recent experience with, but unfortunately he doesn't currently have any rufilatas. I really do like their green color.

They have as much, or more, brown than green.