Best handlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Tarantulas cannot articulate audibly how they're feeling?! I've been conversing with my P.muticus for 3 years looking for a response and all she did was stridulate! Why did no one tell me this?!
Pelinobius muticus hides all manner of rituals, certain to reveal nothing, for true enlightenment need not be shared.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
That wasn't directed only at you, it was directed towards everyone who tries to control what people do. It's their choice. I wasn't aggressive towards you and it certainly wouldn't seem like a joke or sarcasm from the way it was written. After all, this is the internet, I can't hear your tone or read your body language ;)

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
That wasn't directed only at you, it was directed towards everyone who tries to control what people do. It's their choice. I wasn't aggressive towards you and it certainly wouldn't seem like a joke or sarcasm from the way it was written. After all, this is the internet, I can't hear your tone or read your body language ;)
Exactly, its the hobbyists choice to decide to handle or not. I'm fairly certain there is no amount of long drawn out speeches about predator-prey relationships and why the spider doesn't "like" being held is going to change that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Exactly, its the hobbyists choice to decide to handle or not. I'm fairly certain there is no amount of long drawn out speeches about predator-prey relationships and why the spider doesn't "like" being held is going to change that.

True, but we don't need to condone it either. Most people that handle have no idea of what can go wrong. They shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens when they do handle.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
True, but we don't need to condone it either. Most people that handle have no idea of what can go wrong. They shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens when they do handle.
Its not condoned, it's very apparent on every one of these handling threads (and site rules) that it is discouraged. I realize people can be incredibly stupid but I would think that a person holding an animal that has fangs has an idea what can go wrong, just like anyone who approaches a dog has some idea of what can go wrong. I know that mammals and arthropods aren't similar, but if the animal has teeth, it CAN bite.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Its not condoned, it's very apparent on every one of these handling threads (and site rules) that it is discouraged. I realize people can be incredibly stupid but I would think that a person holding an animal that has fangs has an idea what can go wrong, just like anyone who approaches a dog has some idea of what can go wrong. I know that mammals and arthropods aren't similar, but if the animal has teeth, it CAN bite.
And how many people just run to a strange dog to pet it just because it
looks cute?
Do they stop and think about his teeth,about what could go wrong?
No. They don't.
I agree that endless yes and no discussions are frustrating. But if it helps raising awareness about the fact that handling could be dangerous and is discouraged in those people who want to handle their adorable fluffy looking spider...then I think it is worthwile.
Handling poses a risk. Always.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
It's funny that,if you're a newb reading the forums,you'd think 95% of experienced keepers are against handling,but if you look through all the photographs on this site,you'd think just the opposite.I don't handle simply because I have a lot of T's with their own personalities,and very large fangs,but I don't hold it against those that do.It's their spider,not mine.Now those damned fools with Pokies on their faces......

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Now those damned fools with Pokies on their faces......
Of course this SHOULD be discouraged and is just borderline idiotic, but simple handling of a NW sling from time to time to indulge your desires shouldn't be made to look like a sin. :)

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
looks cute?
No. They don't.
I agree that endless yes and no discussions are frustrating. But if it helps raising awareness about the fact that handling could be dangerous and is discouraged in those people who want to handle their adorable fluffy looking spider...then I think it is worthwile.
How do you know they don't? Do you know what goes on in every single persons mind?
No, you don't.
I stated in my post that mammals and arthropods are different but you get hung up on semantics than the actual point. This website is available to increase public awareness about these creatures and to discourage handling for years. However, PEOPLE STILL HANDLE, PEOPLE WILL STILL CONTINUE TO HANDLE and it's not your right to tell them to stop.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably what happened here in Italy will never happen to England, Germany, U.S.A etc but never say never in life, so a "no hands" policy, from enthusiasts, would be not only helpful, but the minimum i say.
For the record, certain species have been banned in several parts of Germany from being kept - thanks to all the "accidents" and envenomations. Poecies lead that list for obvious reasons and I'm still glad I'm living on the outskirts of one such city, not in it. Wouldn't want to give up the spiders I raised from tiny babies to adults...

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
For the record, certain species have been banned in several parts of Germany from being kept - thanks to all the "accidents" and envenomations. Poecies lead that list for obvious reasons and I'm still glad I'm living on the outskirts of one such city, not in it. Wouldn't want to give up the spiders I raised from tiny babies to adults...
I would like to see the list of species banned, the parts of Germany they are banned, and the reasons why. If you have documentation that would be great.

Furthermore, would a "banned" thread on where, what, and why through out the world to let others know and advocate for safe handling or no handling in all areas be beneficial? Does this thread exist? One could start with a few here in the U.S. New York City, Connecticut, etc...Or would this just draw unwanted attention?

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to see the list of species banned, the parts of Germany they are banned, and the reasons why. If you have documentation that would be great.
I dont have proof anywhere about this, i am living nextdoor to Germany, but dont understand their language, but i can confirm they have bans there, i am sure poecilotheria are illegal in hamburg for one.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I dont have proof anywhere about this, i am living nextdoor to Germany, but dont understand their language, but i can confirm they have bans there, i am sure poecilotheria are illegal in hamburg for one.
And reason why they are banned in hamburg? Environmental reasons, some moron tried to lick one and got bit, just for kicks because they have the power?

BANNED

Where: HAMBURG

What: POECILOTHERIA

Why:?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks cute?
No. They don't.
Have you ever considered the reason why these handling threads almost allways end up badly!
If people can explain it in a civilized manner the pros and cons about handling and stick to that, then it is educational. But if people in here keep talking down to newbies who dare to ask a handling question, and do their best to lecture them aswell, then newbiees just leaves this forum and what good have we achieved by that? They just go back and do their own thing and handling is probably still one of these things. We achieve absolutely nothing, but could newbies get some constructive answers and dont get flamed by people who have this urge to go hard at newbiees, then much can be achieved. If they are treated with respect and they can read what people say and make up their own minds. If just 25% actually stops handling, then it is better at maybe 1% who might dare stay in here and also stop handling...just saying it how i see it.... This lecturing thing is no go in my book, people have a father/teacher for that. Does only help in extreme cases...

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And reason why they are banned in hamburg? Environmental reasons, some moron tried to lick one and got bit, just for kicks because they have the power?

Where:

What:

Why:
You might want to ask a German that question! I just know that the info you first answered to (storm76) is correct.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Furthermore, would a "banned" thread on where, what, and why through out the world to let others know and advocate for safe handling or no handling in all areas be beneficial? Does this thread exist? One could start with a few here in the U.S. New York City, Connecticut, etc...Or would this just draw unwanted attention?
It varies from part to part of Germany. The city I'm close to, Hamburg, has banned a great number of animals including certain tarantulas species from being kept by private collectors.

I can only provide links in my mothertongue, German.

This one is the law itself (established May 2013) => CLICKY
And this is the list of the species included => CLICKY

Tarantula-wise: All species of Harpactirella, Stromatopelma, Pterinochilus,
Poecilotheria and Selenocosmia are banned in Hamburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.