Best Garage Sale Treasures

Senses-Tingling

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When stopping at garage sales to find cheap tanks for your T's, have any of you come across some unbelievable deals/stories?
Here are a few of mine:
My best find was a tall acrylic tank that was custom-made and about 120-140 gallons, with the lid and light for $30.
I also bought a 60-70 gal terrarium with nice screened sides and 6 corkbark hides already glued to the inside walls for $8 (with the stand - lol). Their son had moved out and told them to sell it. I told them it was worth much more, but they were fine with the price.
I bought a 10 gal tank for $2 in a not-so-safe part of town (not my town, a neighboring city). There was some pots inside the aquarium that had dried dirt and dried fungus all over them - very nasty. The lady told me that her son was using them to grow some kind of mushrooms. Her clueless response, along with my inkling of what was grown in these pots, kept my chuckling all the way home.
Those are 3 of my fave garage sale treasures - 2 steals and 1 great story.

5thPhantom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently got given a 10 gallon tank from our local Freecycle group - I think that's about as good a deal as it gets!! :D

I am currently on the search for a suitably-sized new occupant for it! :)

dannax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love freecycle/cheapcycle...

I spend so much time looking through the emails I get from the group... as far as anything related to T's is considered, I haven't really looked but I have found some amazing free/ridiculously cheap deals....

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow. this is ironic. i actually was at a yard sale saturday and sunday, and got a overhead light for $2, a stand for a tank (it'll fit a ten gallon, i didnt try any other tanks) for $5, and today i got two tanks (a 15-20 high and a ten gallon) for $12, and they came with screen tops and all.

yard sales are the greatest for animal supplies. :D

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found and bought a large Hex tank filled with all kinds of goodies (several driftwood pieces, rocks, plants, lights, pumps, heaters, etc.) all for $20.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a 30 gallon tank with lid for $15. I bought a wooden arboreal reptile enclosure that included hinged door and screen sides 3'x3'x5' for $10. It is sitting empty, its used as a holding pen at cage cleaning time. :eek:

ballpythonteen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i got a 2 55 gallon tanks wiht screens under tank heaters uv bulbs and bask bulbs with stand for $5 they were going to through it out it was the end of the day it was not even for sale it was at the back of the garage they said they were going to through it out i said i will give your $5 for it best find ever(for me)

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A 55 or so gallon tank full of goodies and a very sweet 4 foot long corn snake for thirty dollars, found not long after my baby corn died from mouth sores (from a bad pet shop)

I also got several sizes of consecutive tanks sitting in each other for five dollars, and a large assortment of kritter keepers for usually a dollar or two each because whatever critter had priorly lived in it had died recently.

jinx

Arachnopeon
I never have any luck finding tanks at garage sales. I always look on the curb on trash night to see if anyone has thrown one out and no luck that way either. Some people just have all the luck,lol.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well

My dad and I bought a pinball machine from a garage sale for $30 bucks. Like the legit ones you see in arcades and what not. It worked and all. Then he turned around and sold it to someone. lol..

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
at this one garage sale i went to. i was lucky enough to purchase the garage for only 25 canadian dollars.

moose

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to buy and sell sports memorobilia and cards back in the late 80's and early 90's with my dad @ the flea market. Great sunday money. I'd get 10% cuts.. so i'd get 60-75 bucks for 1 day.. not bad then =)

anywho.

I picked up an original 60's GI helicopter in the box with the wrap still on it. unscathed... paid 25 quick bucks, walked around the corner... knew the dealer, sold it to him for 125$...

Also. a box of sports cards from the 60's for 50$.

pulled 5 early 60's mantles or so, and almost a whole set of 1986 fleer basketball (w/ the jordan rooked.. at the time worth a meeger 200-300$)

but that's about what i've always done buy and resell valuables.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not lucky. been collecting junk like that since i was 8. so 1986-1996 i built up alot thanks to my dads money (not like i spent thousands, but the 20-50 dollars was from them) we still have a bulk of it, sold alot of the expensive things when i went to college. Just recently sold a few old starting line-up characters and i sold my 1980 gretzky on ebay. was going on a trip, Didn't grade the card or anything, but it sold for 200 ungraded in probably good condition. corners were sharp but the card was a bit off centered