Best Communal Scorpion

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So my top three are P. imperator, H. spinifer, and B. jacksoni. These are the three I'm considering to buy in the future, but I can't decide which one species I want. So, I was wondering if anybody with experience could weigh in with reasons why each one of these communal scorps are the best.... I'm also open to other communal sp suggestions.

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive never really been into the H. genus. The emps and jacksoni are really cool. im looking at getting a jacksoni in the future. any of the Centuroides species are very communal as far as i know. i have 12 Centuroides sculpturatus together. they are much smaller than any of the ones you have mentioned.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hottentotta Judaicus is an awesome species to keep communally. just about any species within the genus Centruroides is great communally.

Doctor_Grunge

Arachnopeon
I'd say which one is best depends on your situation, experience and what you want out of the scorpion. Pandinus, Heterometrus and Hadogenes sp. are all easy to aquire, good beginner species, and are considered to be communal. If you want something that is docile, Pandinus and Hadogenes would probably be your best bet. Something a little feistier would be Heterometrus. If you have kept scorpions for a while and are comfortable with species that have more toxic venom then you might consider Centruroides or Tityus, or Babycurus sp. I consider C. vittatus to be a good communal scorpion that can be kept by intermediate scorpions keepers but is also neat to have for advanced keepers. This is primarily because the toxicity of their venom is less dangerous than some other species in the genus, they are relatively easy to find/buy, not hard to care for, are very interesting to watch and one of the more active species in my experience. One thing to consider is that with C. vittatus (and Babycurus jacksoni) there is some disagreement as to weather or not the venom is dangerous enough to consider them medically significant, so if you do decide to keep either species be careful as they can both be relatively "quick" and sting readily if provoked.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B.jacks venom is not nearly as potent as C. sculpt. Welcome to the boards doc very impressed by your first post.
-Eddy

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Basically, this will be my only venture into scorpions because I love Ts, but I've always wanted to keep scorpions as a side project. Since this is my one shot at getting something that fits me best, I want to make sure I'm matched up with the best possible scorpion for my needs. I guess this is a cliche request but, since I can only get one tank, I would like something:

-communal (as i said in my OP)
-fairly large; at least not tiny
-i don't mind venom, but frown on potentially dangerous species
-i would also like to be able to see them every so often. i don't mind burrowers, but i would like to see my only scorpions

Another thing.... is there any difference in the life span, or aggression, between male and female scorpions?

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG!!! I forgot!!!! I hope you guys can pull through on this one cuz this is probably going to be very influential on my decision, but could you guys show me some pics of your scorpions that you think I might like? I'm a very visual person, so you guys helping me out would be very valuable to me.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thongy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
then b jacksonis would be a very good choice.
google them

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your criteria fit jacksonis perfectly.

This is a group of 2i I separated from mom a couple days beforehand.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One thing to consider is that with C. vittatus (and Babycurus jacksoni) there is some disagreement as to weather or not the venom is dangerous enough to consider them medically significant, so if you do decide to keep either species be careful as they can both be relatively "quick" and sting readily if provoked.
D_G, there's nothing anywhere that says anything about C. vittatus and med sig. if there is then send it to me because I require evidence.

muse

Arachnopeon
I've got 3 hadrurus arizonensis in a 29G tank, and they seem to get along fine. I've heard that they are not supposed to be communal, but mine have not even really had a skirmish with each other that I've noticed. there are even times when they'll crawl all over each other like it's no big deal. they're fairly large, and I see them out and about frequently.

JeffX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say B. Jacksoni would be your best bet as well. Venom is a step up from P.Imps but nothing to worry about.

I have five in a ten gallon and mine are all doing well. I've had them for about a month now and they are getting big fast. I see them more than I do my P. Imp and my Imp is much bigger than my B. Jacksoni.

I'd show you a picture but I can't seem to link to insect geeks at the moment.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the B. jacksoni pics, they look awesome! Like I said though, I'm new to scorpions so I don't really what they all look like. Due to this, any pictures you can hook me up with will definitely help me make my decision.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude, get some B. jacksonis. They're awesome scorpions and they're VERY cool looking. You'll see them a lot more than the burrowers, I can guarantee you that much.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, google, who would have ever thought of that. You know what? That advice would actually fit for just about any query on this forum, so instead of participating positively in another person's post we'll just go around copying and pasting "google" into our replies. Awesome man, you really just streamlined the performance of this forum! I'm sure the bandwidth and the moderators are in appreciation of your suggestion.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually it's not a bad idea. I google alot of my questions first and find some answers. Also the search function does wonders. Don't get mad? Just ignore any answer you dont find useful.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it's not a bad idea. I google alot of my questions first and find some answers. Also the search function does wonders. Don't get mad? Just ignore any answer you dont find useful.
I understand that, but your perspective is skewed by your experience. I've had T's for 2 years, but before that I didn't know a thing about them and found myself lied to by many of the so called "facts" I found through google (some of those caresheets out there say some really messed up stuff... just look at what the hermit crab ones say and you'll know what I mean). The only real knowledge about Ts I've gotten is through this website, and while it may be easy for you to filter through the good and bad information using google, it's a lot harder for inexperienced people like me. If you need an example, just google the toxicity of B. jacksoni venom and see how many different conflicting results there are. I don't appreciate it when people take on their cocky little attitudes like it's an insult to them that I asked for some help. Don't defend people who are jerks. It's not worth it.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That makes sense, I'm not sidind with anyone here because I do a bit of both Ask questions here and google search.