Best baboons to start with...

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Hey all, pretty much the title says it all. I've kept plenty of OW, just never took the plunge with baboons. I'd love any and all opinions anyone has. Thanx in advance guys (and gals).

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Some of me...
I'd absolutely agree with that. Ceratogyrus spp in particular seem to be out more if you set up the enclosure appropriately. Most other baboons I've kept have definitely burrowed or taken hides and stayed there seemingly permanently. That's the route I'd recommend if you were getting an adult. If you wanted slings, you'd probably be safe with most baboons. Maybe I mira, A ezendami?, or M balfouri?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first baboons I ever kept was an OBT and an H. mac. If you've kept other old worlds such as pokies, then you've got enough experience IMO to just jump right into baboons.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can't go wrong with any of the baboons. :) I'm partial to M. balfouri, C. darlingi, OBT, C. marshalli, A. enzendami, pretty much in that order...

Check the classifieds. There are frequently A. enzendami slings available.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
My obt and hmac are faster than my ceratogyrus. C. darlingis are fairly cheap and a pretty cool looking species. I would give them a try!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus are amazing spiders, but they're EXTREMELY aggressive in my experience. Just to give an anecdotal example, the last time I rehoused a subadult specimen, all I did was poke the substrate with a straw and she flew out of her burrow and latched on. I then carefully moved her this way, hooked onto the straw, to the new container. The plus side to this is that they aren't quite so likely to run as Stromatopelma/Pterinochilus/Heteroscodra species are.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only have C. darlingi and c. marshalli. All five of them are pretty laid back. Real characters, actually. Instead of running to hide when their enclosure is disturbed, they come peeking out of their burrows to see what is going on. Busybodies! LOL

concrete

Arachnosquire
Tons of great baboon species out there but I'd go with Eucratoscelus pachypus as first as it's probably least aggressive

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ceratogyrus are amazing spiders, but they're EXTREMELY aggressive in my experience.
I've had a number of Ceratogyrus species over the years, from slings to adults, and none have been overly aggressive. FAR easier to work with than OBT's.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a number of Ceratogyrus species over the years, from slings to adults, and none have been overly aggressive. FAR easier to work with than OBT's.
Agreed, I was handling one for around half an hour today trying to get it to sit still for a pic. Eventually she calmed down. I must admit my adult marshalli's are a bit moody at times.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Agreed, I was handling one for around half an hour today trying to get it to sit still for a pic. Eventually she calmed down. I must admit my adult marshalli's are a bit moody at times.
The good thing with Ceratogyrus is they never make mad dashes out of the cage, and when they are in a fussy mood, they just stand there with a threat pose, and as long as your hand doesn't get within 3 inches of them, you won't get bit.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
I have to disagree too. I know all specimens have their individual personalities but my darilingi and meridionalis are both fairly chill compared to my obt and Hmac. The darlingi is still a sling, like not even 1". Hes out and about a lot usually webbing or down working on his tunnels. When i disturb him he runs into his burrow and peeks out at me. My meridionalis is even more calm. She'll get squirrelly during feeding time and is a very excited feeder but if im just going into her enclosure for maintenance she'll come out of her burrow, walk around a bit waiting for food, but when she doesnt get a roach she just retreats to her burrow to watch me lol. I don't consider any of that behavior aggressive. They're like excitedly nervous little dwarves that are happiest working in their tunnels but will venture out occasionally for food and drink haha

If i HAD to choose between handling one of my ceratogyrus or obt or hmac, i'd definitely choose the ceratogyrus haha.