Best and worst feeding response?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
My Grammastola rosea sling had the best feeding response so far. It literally lunged up and grabbed a wax worm while it was still on my tongs.

image.jpeg

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Best feeding response would be a tie between my 4" juvie P. cambridgei and C. cyaneopubescens sling.

P. cam is notable for how fiercely and fast she attacks her prey...she is so damn fast and comes out of her cork round hide, grabs her meal, and is back in it within about .2 seconds...almost too fast to see sometimes. And she attacks like they personally insulted her mother; I noted in another thread how she attacked a cricket so hard that she, quite literally, knocked one of its legs off before dragging it to its doom like a Sarlacc on crystal meth.

My GBB sling is notable for how it will come from anywhere in its enclosure to snag its meal, as well as how completely fearless it is. I can drop a cricket on the other side of its enclosure and half the time it will be on it almost before it even hits the web/sub. It also couldn't possibly care less how big the prey is as long as its not 20 times its own size. I don't intentionally feed it anything too large but it can take down an adult cricket without breaking a sweat.

Worst feeding response so far would be my Euathlus sp red and my P. sazimai, though both have caveats. My E. sp red is still pretty new to my care so she may just be taking a long time to settle in...but she just doesn't really seem especially interested in eating, though her size is fine and she appears perfectly healthy so I'm not too worried. My P. sazimai is just SUPER skittish and tends to run away from her meals before she can be certain it isn't a threat to her. She will actually eventually come up to the cricket and put her leg on it to sort of gauge its size before attacking. She also lost a leg in her last molt so that may have something to do with it, but when she does (finally) attack, she doesn't seem to have any problems.

My A. versicolor's feeding response is pretty good but she's a total brat and won't eat unless I put the prey in her web close to her.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
The best are my Acanthoscurria geniculata, Heteropoda venatoria and my Ctenidae slings. I think the worst feeding response belongs to my immature B. smithi male who hasn't eaten for about 5-6 months, but he recently molted so I'll see.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
So far in my current collection it goes like this.
Haplopelma Albostriatum-eats like a pig
Poecilotheria Regalis-usually won't eat while I'm watching but the second I turn away chomp.
Avicularia mystery-until she went into Premolt she was a solid feeder.
P. Irminia-i have never seen her eat, ever. I have to assume she does cuz the crickets disappear but have never witnessed it.
Pterinochilus Murinus - it's a sling and I never get to see it cuz it burrows away. It's eaten a couple times but otherwise the crickets just die on their own.
Acanthogonatus Francki-i just got her and she molted a day later so we shall see when she's ready to roll.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
So far it's a tie between my A. metallica and A. geniculata. Both will eat anything you put in the enclosure. For worst I can't really say with confidence, I guess a tie between G. sp north and A. seemani female. the rosie went nearly 4 months without eating (as expected and the seemani is just a shy eater)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I have to give best response to A. geniculata mf i had. Best hunting goes to P. regalis juvie. Worst response goes to infamous G. rosea. I'm really unsure how they thrive in the wild with so so many missed chances of getting nutrients from prey.

Nikke

Arachnopeon
My best feeder is currently T. ockertti, doesnt matter what i give to her, she will eat it.

Probably B.smithi and GBB are the worst eaters. B. smithi eats once a month and GBB only over the night.
Like previous posters said A.avic was worst of them all I can easily relate to them. It felt like she was more scared by the prey than the prey it self. When she attacked the prey, she quickly dropped it from the fangs if it was twitching a bit.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Phormictopus sp. greens & Ceratogyrus marshalli juveniles would eat until they exploded, only time they refuse from is pre and post molt. Such ferocious attackers.

My worst feeder is my Phixotrichus scrofa and Poecilotheria metallica adult females. P.metallica molted 2 months ago and still has that tiny post molt abdomen. She rarely eats and when she does she doesn't put on much weight. She's the only spider I've offered a prekilled mouse to but she wouldn't take it. She's been like that since I got her so it doesnt worry me.

P.scrofa is the same, just never eats. But they're both interesting and gorgeous spiders so I don't mind.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My best of the best are my A. geniculata juvenile (no surprise) and my P. cambridgei sling. My A. versi sling and my B. emilia sling and my B. smithi sling are also good. My worst is my LP sling ???!!! I don't know how that happened.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
In terms of feeding response, hands down are my H. sp Columbia/Klein. Viciously attack prey, especially 1" crickets, a few seconds of great entertainment.
B. sabulosum will eat every day if offered food.
2/5 G. rosea/porteri eat the least and clumsy when grabbing prey. Just a group of "spinsters" doing their best but I love them nonetheless.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I picked most of my Ts based on them having excellent feeding responses, but I think out of all of them, Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" Small takes the cake. Mine will tackle anything I throw at it. This is one tarantula where I really don't worry about the size of the feeder as much. My little psycho has taken down crickets that were just about bigger than it was. I'd say the worst out of my collection is probably my P. metallica, but only because I sometimes have to leave him alone before he'll pop out and snag whatever the feeder of the week is. All of my other Ts, even my G. pulchra, are little piggies! Oink!

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
My best eaters:

Brachypelma smithi (yes...)
Acanthoscurria geniculata (no surprise)
Brachypelma vagans

Worst eater:

Homoeomma sp blue - very picky eater. Doesn't like mealworms or superworms. Usually quite a weak feeding response and takes a little while for it to realise that food is around it.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
I flip crickets into my G. porteri enclosure and she usually grabs them before they even hit the ground.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Best
-----
Avic Metallica
Avic Diversipes
Avic Versicolor
B. Smithi
GBB
G. Pultripes
Megaphobema robustum
Bumba cabocla

Worse
-----
My E. Sp. Red eat erratically and are never aggressive. But I didn't buy them for that anyway.
I have a bunch of burrowing slings that I never see eat where I am forced to use prekill. I have to disqualify them.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
When my Ts are hungry, no matter which one -- it's a fast offense hunting/feeding response -- even rosie. The only exception here is my Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi who takes a while to notice a feeder has been offered - but even then, she is quick to take down one when she realizes she has one.
Now a couple years ago, I did give rosie a positively huge female B. discoidalis (similar to death head roach) and that is a feeding experience I never want to see again. They were literally wrestling and even though rosie was a big girl -- this thing gave her a run for her money. If memory serves me correct -- that battle lasted a good 45 minutes; they rolled, tussled and kicked -- substrate was flying everywhere (shudder) and I actually considered the possibility she might not win. When she finally had the monster subdued, she dined for 24 hours. Never again will I offer that large a prey again.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
The best are my Acanthoscurria geniculata, Heteropoda venatoria and my Ctenidae slings. I think the worst feeding response belongs to my immature B. smithi male who hasn't eaten for about 5-6 months, but he recently molted so I'll see.

True spiders... forget it! Feeders don't last long when lycosids, sparassids, ctenids, or larger pisaurids are around. My MM carolinensis is an absolute livewire at feeding time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria metallica adult females. P.metallica molted 2 months ago and still has that tiny post molt abdomen. She rarely eats and when she does she doesn't put on much weight. She's the only spider I've offered a prekilled mouse to but she wouldn't take it. She's been like that since I got her so it doesnt worry me.

maybe you should try a hornworm on your metallica. theyre as fattening as a mouse and are cheaper and cant hurt the spider.

my best feeder is my P cavimanus (scorpion), P rufilata, and C marshalli. my worst is my Ami sp. columbia sling.