Behavior

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
So Ive now read a fair bit on behavior, but most of them are searches, and alot of different opinions, some in direct contradiction to eachoher. Is there a thread here about there behavior, in detail, To specific Ts. My T just went for a nice little walk up the side of the tank, down accross the tank, along one side of the glass as if he was feeling along one side of it, then he chilled for a bit. then walked to his cave, me taking the lid off and filming him didnt seem to bother him much, he froze for a bit, that was about it, no legs in the air or anyhitng, kust stood still. then when back in his cave he started tapping his foot, just one foot. anyone know whats up with the foot tapping ? and its a A. Bicoloratum ( not sure I spelled that right, ) i bet hed walk right on my hand if I let him, ( im still kind of nervous of it, and he sensing my not wanting to get bit could have a bad result lol. I suspect he was looking for another hid, what yall think ? I got some really kicass pics of him this time round

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It just sounds like he was walking around, and doing pretty much what tarantulas do.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My regalis goes for walks at night, and will sometimes tap its feet and then strike at the air for no reason. Someone reading this is probably about to suggest DKS, but it's still perfectly healthy otherwise and seems to be doing fine.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
OK. I thought mabey he was looking for another hiding spot. Hes a nice little guy. I took the lid off. Put macro on and got some really good shots. No defensiveness or hair kicking or nothing. But he did stop walkin on a couple occasions. . thTs ok though. He held his pose lol . what is dks ?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
DKS (Dyskinetic Syndrome) is something of a mystery at this point, but basically it's when a tarantula seems to be having neurological issues like legs twitching or the T just stumbling about as if it's drunk. Could be caused by exposure to chemicals, could be a genetic disease...we don't really know yet. It's normally fatal.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Hi OP its normal T behaviour, some T's like to walk around, lay some webbing and digging substrate (just so you know), but yeah your T sounds healthy.