Beginner tarantula that doesn’t kick hair?

RBP

Arachnopeon
This has probably been ask multiple times already but I’m looking for a specific type of T that doesn’t flick hairs but loves to web a lot. I’m also new to this hobby but I wouldn’t mine something aggressive. Does such a T exist?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Dolichothele diamantinensis

1. Web a lot.
2. No hair kicking.
3. FAST.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
This has probably been ask multiple times already but I’m looking for a specific type of T that doesn’t flick hairs but loves to web a lot. I’m also new to this hobby but I wouldn’t mine something aggressive. Does such a T exist?
N. Incei
1. Webs a lot
2. No hair kicking
3. FAST
Sorry for copying BoyfromLA but there both like this:confused:
A. Avic too I guess if you consider that they web a lot

cold blood

Staff member
Dolichothele diamantinensis

1. Web a lot.
2. No hair kicking.
3. FAST.
Not exactly a beginner species.
Neoholothele incei (olive or gold) dwarf, heavy weber, great eater. a bit skittish.
Way too fast to consider incei a beginner species.

All the best beginners can flick as they have hairs...so its really an individual t thing....IME T. cyaneolum would be the closest...calm, and I never saw mine flick and have heard the same from others...but uncommon and hard to find.

G. pulchripes don't kick very often at all...but any individual can, especially if you are handling.

G. rosea/porteri are pretty resistant to flicking...but temperaments can vary greatly.

Most ts, if left alone, don't flick much....especially beginner species.

Some hamorii can flick, but I have never once seen it, as I don't mess with it...I have others that are notorious flickers that I rarely if ever see flick...because they aren't messed with.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Get a E sp red. Calmest sp in the hobby, and very sweet. Color isn't super striking but its a pretty black with some red. They can kick hairs, but their super nice. Literal only down side is that they are PAINFULLY SLOW growing

RBP

Arachnopeon
I think a GBB looks awsome but I read everywhere that they kick like crazy. OBT is want I really want but I know they are not for beginners. You guys have said lots of great looking tarantula but I’ll have to do my research on all of them first before I choose one. Thanks for the quick response.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
specific type of T that doesn’t flick hairs but loves to web a lot. I’m also new to this hobby but I wouldn’t mine something aggressive. Does such a T exist?
P.cambridgei fits that exact description, major con is that they aren't beginner friendly species...more intermediate, same can be said about most NWs that lack urticating setae. They tend to be faster and pack more attitude.

I agree with cold blood, terrestrials are the best starters by far...just keeping one species will prove to be invaluable as you learn to understand their basic behavior, husbandry requirements, and how quickly they can move. Even the bulky NW terrestrials can move fast. Your missing out on some great spiders, most dont even kick at all...the vast majority are pretty mellow and would only do so as a last resort. Leave it alone for the most part and you should be fine, the setae is entirely avoidable as well. If you see it happen, close the lid and walk away until the hairs settle. This pretty much always works IME, so long as you see it coming and keep your distance.

Never had any of these species kick at me since ive kept them, just look at their abdomens.

A.chalcodes

B.hamorii

G.pulchripes

L.difficilis

L.parahybana

B.albiceps

And the list goes on, I could enumerate another dozen or so species...just to give you an idea how little most kick when you dont bother them needlessly. Your fear of setae is way overblown.

RBP

Arachnopeon
P.cambridgei fits that exact description, major con is that they aren't beginner friendly species...more intermediate, same can be said about most NWs that lack urticating setae. They tend to be faster and pack more attitude.

I agree with cold blood, terrestrials are the best starters by far...just keeping one species will prove to be invaluable as you learn to understand their basic behavior, husbandry requirements, and how quickly they can move. Even the bulky NW terrestrials can move fast. Your missing out on some great spiders, most dont even kick at all...the vast majority are pretty mellow and would only do so as a last resort. Leave it alone for the most part and you should be fine, the setae is entirely avoidable as well. If you see it happen, close the lid and walk away until the hairs settle. This pretty much always works IME, so long as you see it coming and keep your distance.

Never had any of these species kick at me since ive kept them, just look at their abdomens.

A.chalcodes

B.hamorii

G.pulchripes

L.difficilis

L.parahybana

B.albiceps

And the list goes on, I could enumerate another dozen or so species...just to give you an idea how little most kick when you dont bother them needlessly. Your fear of setae is way overblown.
You have some nice looking tarantulas. What do you think about the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for beginners?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
You have some nice looking tarantulas. What do you think about the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for beginners?
I don’t have one but I hear they can be s good beginner super easy care but there a little skittish and might bolt. If you ever get into arboreals you can look at C. Versicolor too.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I only have 2 Ts, both are sling GBBs. They are fantastic! They can move fast if they want to, but I find it manageable. They do kick hairs, mine have several times, but I've never felt itch or anything, when they kick hairs, I just leave them be.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Mine have never kicked at me, hardy, great eaters and decent growth rates from them...they're fast little buggers though. Some of the previously mentioned species would be easier.

Bonus with GBBs is that even slings look good from the get go.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@RBP if you're wanting a tarantula that meets your criteria T cyaneolum is a perfect match but as @cold blood as stated they are rare and it could take you years to find one. Another that was mentioned by @Cas S the E sp red but again as stated they grow so slow and older specimens tend to be rarer. Gbb as also been talked about and although i agree they are a pretty good starter but they can be skittish and a flicker to boot.

On a personal note i think E parvulas make an amazing 1st tarantula as they tend to be calm with a good feeding response but a little slow growing, they are beautiful not too large at around 3.5" and being from chile and an arid species so they are easy to care for and mine webbs quite abit too

RBP

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your recommendations everyone, this is definitely by far be best forums I’ve been too. I’ll look more into all the T’s everyone has recommend me and choose from there.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I will always recommend E. Sp. red, why you may ask? Because that's just what I do, oh yeah and they rarely kick hairs. Here is a picture of my MM for reference

image.jpeg

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
check out the 4 main, cheap psalmopoeus (P.irminia, P.pulcher, P.reduncus, P.cambridgei) Either one will generally have similar attitudes, it really is based on looks here. These are perfect because not only do they not flick but they don't have the ability to. The venom is also relatively weak and thus, makes a good beginner/intermediate tarantula. By the way, always remember, Tapinauchenius is very closely related except avoid these at all costs at this point, they fit the whole non flicking description but they are insanely fast, it is almost uncanny.

cold blood

Staff member
check out the 4 main, cheap psalmopoeus (P.irminia, P.pulcher, P.reduncus, P.cambridgei) Either one will generally have similar attitudes, it really is based on looks here.
Definitely not a beginner genus...these ts are exceedingly fast and have a tendency to be defensive (cams are less defensive than the others, but are significantly larger, too).

The venom is also relatively weak
Psalmopeous have the strongest venom of all the NW tarantulas.

Tapinauchenius is very closely related except avoid these at all costs at this point, they fit the whole non flicking description but they are insanely fast
No different really than a Psalmopeous. Although they are less defensive than Psalmopeous...but still not a beginner as you said.