Beginner small species?

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby, and I'm looking for a first T of a relatively small size.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
It depends on what a "relatively small" is in your opinion.
My reccomendations for smaller Ts are: Euathlus sp. red
Hapalopus sp. columbia
Paraphysa scrofa

Edit: seems like someone already wrote them before me :D

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Try Theraphosinae sp. “Panama.” A bit pricier and harder to find. But they’re a unique spider that I find very easy and pleasurable to keep:)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Euathlus sp. red/fire is now Homoeomma sp. red/fire.

If you are looking for them then you'd be best searching for that

basin79

ArachnoGod
My adult female Cyriocosmus ritae is tiny. I keep her in a 5.8lt tub that's 7 inch square. And it's more than big enough.

Here she is. The water bowl in the last pic is about 3cm across to give you an idea of just how small she is.

I myself am on the lookout for Homoeomma sp red (thanks @KezyGLA for the information on the name change.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Just start with a juvenile and watch it grow, unless there's a reason why you don't want a big tarantula, if you fear the 8 legged creature or you just don't have the room...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Some of the smaller species are very fast and skittish, although not often defensive. If you are really new to the hobby, you might not be prepared for the speed that they are equipped with. It is imperative that they are provided with somewhere to hide, because many are at risk of bolting out of the enclosure when disturbed.
Euathlus/Homoeomma sp. Red and Yellow are a great option. So are Euathlus parvulus. Not only are the a bit on the slower side, but they are also far more visible than some of the other options like Neoholothele incei and Davus pentaloris.
If you are thinking about going with a spiderling, many popular NW species are so slow growing that there is a good chance that you'll have moved to a place with more space before they get above the 4" mark. That should be taken into consideration for most of the Brachypelma and many of the Grammostola species.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Check out the posts from @AphonopelmaTX in this thread where he describes the differences between how the Euathlus and Homoeomma genera are keyed out.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/euathlus-sp-red-vs-homoeomma-sp-fire.287381/
Thanks. That does explain how the two genera are differentiated, but it doesn't directly address my specific question of how do we know which species referenced in scientific papers is the "sp. red" in the hobby.

At best, it sounds like at this time, we can say which genus it belongs to. (I would love it if scientists could identify more of our "sp" species. There are some in the hobby that are only identified by sub-family.)

I would also say "who knows" and question anyone who makes statements like "E. sp. Red" belongs in the genus Homoeomma or anything like it without any support for such a statement. More times than not in the tarantula hobby, it's the blind leading the blind as far as proper identification goes.
Thanks for sharing those pictures. I would say there should be little doubt that Euathlus sp. Red/ Fire is actually a Homoeomma species. Comparing the pictures here with pictures included in Perafan & Perez-Miles (2014) and Ferretti (2015) of Phrixotrichus and Euathlus species, I don't think this "Red/ Fire" spermatheca is consistent with what those authors consider as having a "lateral chamber." And of course there is the matter of the tarsal claw teeth. :) Hopefully someone out there has pictures of the retro and pro lateral views of the papal bulb. I would be interested in comparing it with the drawings in Schiapelli & Gerschman (1972).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks. That does explain how the two genera are differentiated, but it doesn't directly address my specific question of how do we know which species referenced in scientific papers is the "sp. red" in the hobby.

At best, it sounds like at this time, we can say which genus it belongs to. (I would love it if scientists could identify more of our "sp" species. There are some in the hobby that are only identified by sub-family.)
I would like to help, but I'm not sure what the specific question is exactly. The spider called Euathlus sp. Red is an undescribed species of Homoeomma. A determination that it is undescribed can be made by comparing it with descriptions of all known Homoeomma. A generic determination can be accurately made on this spider since the males have a tegular apophysis which is a synapomorphy of the genus Homoeomma.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would like to help, but I'm not sure what the specific question is exactly. The spider called Euathlus sp. Red is an undescribed species of Homoeomma. A determination that it is undescribed can be made by comparing it with descriptions of all known Homoeomma. A generic determination can be accurately made on this spider since the males have a tegular apophysis which is a synapomorphy of the genus Homoeomma.
That answers it to the extent it is possible to be answered right now.