Beginner in need of some advice

Traume

Arachnopeon
Hello,

Recently, I've become interested in purchasing a tarantula. I think they're really neat creatures that are quite misunderstood, and I'd simply love to keep one as a pet. I've done some digging, and beginners are usually recommended spiders like the pink zebra beauty, desert blonde, Chaco golden knee, Honduran curlyhair (one I'm eyeing), etc. Like I said, I'm interested in the Honduran curlyhair, but I'd like to know if it's one of the best beginner choices or not. To add some context, I am looking for a tarantula that is...
  • Generally low maintenance
  • Relatively inexpensive (usu. falls around a $15 to $30 USD or so price range),
  • Docile, preferably quite so
  • Flexible to temperature
  • Easy to feed and keep fed (in other words not requiring a mass amount of food), and of a simple, easy to maintain diet (simple bugs, small creatures...? etc. Nothing crazy or exotic.)
  • Of a decent lifespan
If there're any other terrestrial new world tarantulas that you feel are better, feel free to let me know as well! Outside of that, I was wondering as to whether or not I should purchase a female or a male. Females live longer, but I hear the males are underrated...? Anyway, that's all for now. I shall return ;)

x.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hello,

spiders like the pink zebra beauty, desert blonde, Chaco golden knee, Honduran curlyhair (one I'm eyeing),

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum! You’ve found the best resource out there for information.

First off, Latin names are going to be your friend. Try to learn them early. As you may or may not have noticed, tarantulas can have many different common names. Many species also share similar or the same common names, like ‘bird eater’. By using the scientific name you can almost always ensure you have a species correctly identified. Many reputable sellers will also list species using the Latin name as well as a common name.

I'm interested in the Honduran curlyhair, but I'd like to know if it's one of the best beginner choices or not.
This is a good choice. They are easy to care for, have weak venom, easy care, pretty good temperament, and are fairly inexpensive.

I was wondering as to whether or not I should purchase a female or a male. Females live longer, but I hear the males are underrated...? Anyway, that's all for now. I shall return ;)
If you can get a sexed female, go for it. I wouldn’t go with a male because they are shorter lived. Male tarantulas are great if you’re interested in breeding but not as good for a casual keeper.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Both the Honduran Curly Hair Tarantula and the Nicaraguan Curly Hair/"True" Curly Hair Tarantula would be about the same in terms of care. Although it is suspected that the Honduran Curly Hair Tarantula is possibly a different species than the Nicaraguan Curly Hair/"True" Curly Hair Tarantula, the current binomial name for both of them is Brachypelma albopilosum. They are everything you mentioned that you were looking for in a tarantula. I would probably just add that they need a damp substrate - nothing too dry or too wet. Temperature of 70 F - 80 F is perfectly fine.

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
I have a brachypelma albopilosum that is absolutely awesome so yes for a beginner that is my top pick! But at the same time, most aphonopelma's tend to be pretty easy keepers. I.E. Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Aphonopelma Seemanni, Aphonopelma Hentzi etc. Good luck!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Another vote for you IMMEDIATELY ordering a B. albopilosum. Welcome addiction...I mean hobby.

Traume

Arachnopeon
Another vote for you IMMEDIATELY ordering a B. albopilosum. Welcome addiction...I mean hobby.
Ha! Thanks for the advice!

They're the best readily available beginner species you can get IMO
Excellent, I'll keep that in mind. Seems like the choice is largely settled (at least for now)...!

I have a brachypelma albopilosum that is absolutely awesome so yes for a beginner that is my top pick! But at the same time, most aphonopelma's tend to be pretty easy keepers. I.E. Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Aphonopelma Seemanni, Aphonopelma Hentzi etc. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll check out the other species you mentioned. However, it seems that B. albopilosum is a winner. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
  • Generally low maintenance
  • Relatively inexpensive (usu. falls around a $15 to $30 USD or so price range),
  • Docile, preferably quite so
  • Flexible to temperature
  • Easy to feed and keep fed (in other words not requiring a mass amount of food), and of a simple, easy to maintain diet (simple bugs, small creatures...? etc. Nothing crazy or exotic.)
  • Of a decent lifespan
Every species you listed hits on every criteria you listed.