Begginer Tarantula

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How dare thou insult the Queen. Prepare to die for your crimes, infidel - *ahem*cough* But I'm not trying to convince you that the G. pulchripes looks better, because that's purely opinion. All I was saying is that the G. pulchripes is black, because it IS black. Also, you've never had one? U silly billy.
looks s*** brown to me.
@Chris LXXIX death to the enemies of the emperor! ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
"Beginner Tarantula" I shouldn't skip pages lol this got sidetracked fast.

In all seriousness there is only one Goddess, PBUH and we cant rank every species in such a way.

@Moakmeister I agree that G.pulchripes are gorgeous, but you must never speak the Queens name in vain.

Reptiquatics

Arachnopeon
So my mom says that I could maybe get the G. Pulchripes, but she's not sure. One of my issues, though, would be making sure I have enough space for it when it is full grown, so what cage size would you recommend for an adult? I haven't really been able to find reliable numbers for the adult tank size, I've read anything from 5.5 to 30, and neither of those seem write to me, and I assume it would be between 10 and 20 gallons? That all being said, since she won't be full grown when I get her, what size cage should I setup before the expo, and what size should the T i buy be?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So my mom says that I could maybe get the G. Pulchripes, but she's not sure. One of my issues, though, would be making sure I have enough space for it when it is full grown, so what cage size would you recommend for an adult?
For bulky terrestrial species, something low-profile works better, as you don't have to use as much substrate to create a safe enclosure. (Vertical space, the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid, should not exceed 1.5x the diagonal leg span.)

As a general rule of thumb, I try to give my terrestrials about 3x the diagonal leg span in any direction. (Excessive horizontal space does not harm your tarantula as long as there are appropriate furnishings; it's just wasted space.)

Grammostola pulchripes can get as large as about 7-8 inches, so for the adult enclosure, look for something that is about 21-24 inches long. (If it's rectangular, the shorter sides can be shorter than that.)

what size cage should I setup before the expo, and what size should the T i buy be?
If this is your very first tarantula, you may want to try to find a juvenile (2" or larger), as tiny slings (<1") can be less hardy. That being said, sling care is not rocket science, so if you want to start with a sling, that's an option too.

At less than 1", they can be kept in a condiment cup. At 1-2" a large deli cup will work. Starting at around 2-3", I like the small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5"). It's inexpensive, and the plastic is nice and clear. It also has a feeding hatch so you don't have to remove the whole lid. (Plus they're stackable.) You can probably find some of these at a reptile expo.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Thank you all, I've seen those listed on various articles, but not as frequently as the other two. I'd honestly rather stick to a less expensive more common species. Someday I'd like to get more variety and such, but for now I'll stick with what I can more reasonably afford.

Well then the curly hair is going to be your VERY best friend.

Benefits:
1. beautiful
2. as Docile as a giant 8 legged arachnid can get
3. they LOVE to burrow and make all sorts of constructs if you get them plenty of substrate. (i nicknamed my Female the "little tonka truck")
4. Great eaters
5. decently fast growers.
6. CHEAP, almost everywhere in the world you can usually find them for a cheap price, with some exceptions of course
7. did i mention beautiful?

cons?
1. no bright colors.
2. not fast.
3. not that "exotic"

all in all, i would recommend as a first T any day.
this was my first T i ever owned, and I've never had a single issue. Never been threat postured, bit, tagged and i think only actually had her kick hairs once, and that was when i forgot i had my spray bottle on "mist" setting and not "stream" setting when refilling her water dish and accidentally misted her dead on. she was NOT happy with that haha,

Hell, i liked her so much she still remains my Profile picture on here from when i first got her as a young juvie.