Bed bugs in apartment. Have 27 tarantulas. Help!

tarantulas1212

Arachnopeon
So, I've been living in an apartment for about a year now and about a month ago, I noticed there were bed bugs. It all started with itchy rashes and even though It was cold as hell, I convinced myself it was fleas or something. One day, I noticed one on the wall. I have 27 tarantulas, a ball python, a chameleon, and two cats. Im freaked out because I'm afraid of treatments and where I would put them. My suspicions stem from my downstairs neighbors. They had taken out a lot of clothes one day an I thought they might be moving out. Nope. Black garbage bags. I'm thinking they came from the outlets and such. I have terrible anxiety, and this has been stressing me out so much, i just feel like there is no hope. Since I live in an apartment, I'm worried about if I'm even allowed to have so many pets. One bedroom as well. Please please help!

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure but if you're gonna treat your mattress or whatever move all the spiders and stuff to an empty room preferably and use any pesticides in another (well ventilated) I treat my snakes for mites (stupidly in the same room as my spiders) and I'm sure 7 got poisoned, luckily I saved 6 but the one I lost was a female Lampropelma violaceopes, so be über careful using any pesticides/bug spray etc spiders are very sensitive to that kinda stuff. Good luck!

Joe

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
I would strongly suggest asking a cool friend or family member to home your pets for a few weeks while you figure out killing the bed bugs. That will be the best scenario for all your critters. If that is not a possibility, another suggestion is to go to home depot, buy one of those rubbermaid storage sheds to put your kiddos in on your balcony (minus the cats of course) and allow plenty of time for any pesticides to clear out before moving your kiddos back into the apt.

Best of luck.

Also I would complain to the office, if you saw your downstairs neighbor doing all that, then they should be responsible for any costs you incur from fumigating/replacing mattress etc.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are they localized to one room? If so they are pretty easy to contain. There is this stuff you can buy at probably any like walmart or target. You put it around your baseboards. It's a white powder. You then put it in plastic containers and put your bed posts in the containers. The bugs will climb in and eat the stuff and die. My mom got some when she was traveling and it was localized to her room. That's how she got rid of them. She hasn't had a problem since. You could take off all your outlet covers as well and squirt some in there. Probably wise to do it with your power off. I'm an electrician, so I know that dust can blow up if introduced to electricity, not too sure about this powder though, better safe than sorry.

As for it harming your T's? Probably. So I'd seriously find a home for them for a couple weeks as Stew said. I know it's hard, especially if your family or friends despise these little guys. I know if I had to have someone house them for a little while I'd come up empty handed.

Best of luck.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
I disagree vehemently that they are easy to contain. I used to work for a company that dealt with co-ops and apartment complexes, and if every unit around the one with bugs wasn't treated, or ideally the WHOLE complex, they would be back without fail.

You need to tell the office/your landlord, and remove your animals while things are treated.

Kroogur

Arachnopeon
I disagree vehemently that they are easy to contain. I used to work for a company that dealt with co-ops and apartment complexes, and if every unit around the one with bugs wasn't treated, or ideally the WHOLE complex, they would be back without fail.

You need to tell the office/your landlord, and remove your animals while things are treated.
This is probably the best advice, If i was closer i would take in your critters until the bugs were sorted out.

numinous

Arachnopeon
I am a pest professional and own my own nuisance wildlife and pest control company. DO NOT try to solve this on your own. If the space is not treated correctly the problem will never go away. A heat treatment is effective if done properly (again, use a pro) and will leave no residual pesticide that might harm your pets. The room, the ENTIRE room must be brought to 135 F for several hours to kill all life stages. Freeze treatment is less effective but will also have no residual. The heat treatment can be done one room at a time so you can just move your animals to another room until the treatment is done. Get good quality bed bug proof mattress covers. Your clothing can be put in a dryer on high for 30 minutes as long as the dryer gets to 135 F.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Yep, hot temps universally are the only solution. You couldn't survive them. Move them elsewhere and have management treat. If they won't, then move yourself too.

tarantulas1212

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone. I've been extremely stressed about this. Calling my landlord today. Ive been trying to do my best, but I started getting bit out in my living room. I had also moved out into the living room two weeks ago because I just couldn't staf the thought of sleeping with them under my pillows and on my blanket which is black. But ive been steaming daily to try and kill wjwhat i cant see and eggs too. I know that heating is the best strategy. I'm just hoping I can find a company that does that here in central Illinois. I never in my life thought I would have to deal with these bloodsuckers. And yes to moving the tarantulas out, but what if some of the bed bugs are hiding in the plastic frame on the t tanks? I keep saying in my head, well, they could be anywhere and everywhere. It's impossible, I keep telling myself. I feel like such a failure. But it won't be too hard to prove we have them when there are multiples squished on the wall. I'm just psyching myself out. Thinking, one could be hiding in my couch or even more I'm just really freaked out. We have this shag like carpet which makes it so much more difficult. And I think my parents would take my babies in, as they have a spare room. I just don't want to take the chance of transporting them to tie house as well. This whole thing is just frustrating. I mean, I can understand that you would be embarrassed to tell the landlord you have bed bugs, but the damn outlets connect the walls and they can get anywhere. I just hate that they never even told them and also my apartments are under new management. Ugh. Nightmares for my anxiet ridden self.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you are worried about taking bed bugs with the tarantula enclosures, as you are moving them out, check each one carefully with a nice bright flashlight...they are small, but not microscopic...I would also consider wiping the exterior of the cages down with a bleach or vinegar solution. Just be sure to do it outside or somewhere with very good airflow. Wouldn't want to injure yourself or pets in the process. If that doesn't set you at ease, then there is always the option to move your T's into deli cups, do a complete cleaning of each cage, then after you get them to your parents' house, you can put in fresh bedding and rehouse them.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone. I've been extremely stressed about this. Calling my landlord today. Ive been trying to do my best, but I started getting bit out in my living room. I had also moved out into the living room two weeks ago because I just couldn't staf the thought of sleeping with them under my pillows and on my blanket which is black. But ive been steaming daily to try and kill wjwhat i cant see and eggs too. I know that heating is the best strategy. I'm just hoping I can find a company that does that here in central Illinois. I never in my life thought I would have to deal with these bloodsuckers. And yes to moving the tarantulas out, but what if some of the bed bugs are hiding in the plastic frame on the t tanks? I keep saying in my head, well, they could be anywhere and everywhere. It's impossible, I keep telling myself. I feel like such a failure. But it won't be too hard to prove we have them when there are multiples squished on the wall. I'm just psyching myself out. Thinking, one could be hiding in my couch or even more I'm just really freaked out. We have this shag like carpet which makes it so much more difficult. And I think my parents would take my babies in, as they have a spare room. I just don't want to take the chance of transporting them to tie house as well. This whole thing is just frustrating. I mean, I can understand that you would be embarrassed to tell the landlord you have bed bugs, but the damn outlets connect the walls and they can get anywhere. I just hate that they never even told them and also my apartments are under new management. Ugh. Nightmares for my anxiet ridden self.
Bedbug infestations can be psychologically difficult - but you have to remember that this can happen to anyone, anywhere. And you cannot control your neighbors. I hope it's dealt with soon and you can have a good night's sleep again.