Bearded Dragon!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
substrate for bearded dragons...can i use Astroturf as the substrate for mine? is it safe? will it cause ne problems? ... ohj and is it ok to have the hideout under the heating source such as the bulb...since the bulb is all the way at the top and the hideout underneath or should i p[lace it on the otherside of the tank! thank you

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
underneath the heat lamp is fine for the hide.. the astroturf, i would stay away from, there are actually some beneficial minerals in the sand that the dragon cant survive without.. you know how hard beardies are to keep right? have you acquired your dragon yet?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ya i have one and ive had it for about 2 months or soo now im keeping him on newspaper...he is now slightly over a foot and was prbly deciding on a substrate change..or is it still to early..if not what would be the best substrate? if sand...what type of sand?

Wisdom16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Play Sand is the best sand. Calcisand can cause impaction easier because of the grain size. You can have 2 hides so he can thermoregulate. Also provide UV Light and make sure the dragon can get close enough to it (at least 10"-12") so it can absorb the UVs. Do not forget to dose it's veggies and crickets with calcium supplement.

This is a great caresheet from some Beardie breeders....
http://www.dragoncharm.com/caresheet.htm

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
soo i should try to get sand for him...with small grain size??

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and yup i have the Uv and cali suppliment and everything already just thinking of changing the substrate..thank you

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sand is good for grown beardies (but for babies used papertowels). they also have pellets you can use instead of the sand (rabbit food pellets). i have the heatlamp on one side and the uv light just a short distance from it. the hide is locate almost in the middle of the tank (so they can sit on it to get to the uv rays or the heat. at the other side i have a big piece of drift wood so they can climb it. they are both climb up the driftwood at night time.
dianne

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ldo you think my bearded dragon can live on sand now since hes a bit over a foot or still to small?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also what a good decor..to keep the claws trimmed...thanks