Bearded Dragon Appreciation Thread

Spike14

Arachnopeon
crashergs, my apologies for posting the way i did in the start of the thread by saying "what crap", BUT i do believe you and this lady have much expiernce in the way you keep and breed your dragons. My information is from personal expiernce and the way breeders over our way keep them. And im saying there are most likely problems encounterd over your way with males forcing females to "mate to death" but that is obviously not a problem over here. The lady you are talking about sounds like she loved her dragons.

And zinto im sure somewhere in the post i mentioned that the reason they are missing toes etc is because of one dominant beardie, and her attitude. And her age, she was in the age where beardies nip. And there is such an age.

Cheers

Kane

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i know from my experience and the experience of others, beardies do fine communally, but as spike said males arnt normally found together because they fight but its fine 2 keep others 2gether

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
also it may depend on what species of beardie you have, i have heard that vitticeps(which is the main 1 in the U.S.) is a little more carnivorus

Spike14

Arachnopeon
maybe its just the beardies bred in USA;) I find that vitties can be more terotorial then barabata or henrylawsoni but they can also be tamer at the same time.:confused: :D

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are a few more pics of my beardie, He gets a little pissy when I don't hold him for a few days. Luckly he hasn't bit me yet & I'm not sure if he will but I still wear gloves when I pick him up:8o He is also a messing eater,he has his collard greens all over the enclosure.

Last edited:

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:wall: :wall: wow, dude get him off the calcisand now!, that stuff is so dangerous. The calci sand yes does has calcium in it and thats good and the bag says "digestable" and "vet approved" BullSH!T that stuff is so bad. Im not even kidding around get him off that now and switch to non adhesive shelf liner.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had him on papertowels when I first got him but for some reason I bought repti-cal.. Maybe because a local breeder told me that it's ok for Juvies & Adults but not babies.. Also the book I have said it was ok..., What about using astro turf?

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
astroturf works well to, see the problem with calci sand it builds up over time in there intestienal track into a lump and causes fatal impaction. Heres an awsome site that ive been apart of since 2004 www.beardeddragon.org and im beardedragon911, just ask all the questions there and u will be happy, plus what size tank is he in and how long is he?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the link,He is 8"+ maybe a little bigger & is in a 20L right now. I should be getting a 40gal soon, I wasn't planning on getting a beardie this size but ended getting one a little bigger.

I will go hunt some astro turf down tomorrow.

Last edited:

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
eek u might consider building one here this is one i built its 175 gallon, they need lots of space.

this is a old pic but shows the outside.

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heres an xray of a smaller beardie but size doesnt really matter. it is impacted

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I need 175gal for 1 adult male? I'm not planning on getting anymore.

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally i would say yes if you have the room, this cage is 4ft x 3ft x 3ft, pretty basic construction, all i did was cut the sheets to spec's then laid down the bottom and sqrewed in those wood peices to join the sheets together and hinge the top so it can open.

TiberiusAlaric

Arachnopeon
I don't understand why they are usually unable to be housed together with another lizard due to temper problems, yet they tolerate humans so much that they even seek their attention out. :?