Bartering and petstores?

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know of a petstore in my area and they have a Heteroscodra Maculata for sale and it has been their for close to a year and I know that they are trying to get rid of it. How do I ask if they could cut me a deal or something? I talked to some kid that worked their today and he said it was an expierement.
P.S. It is a solid 3 in' and comes with the cage. Deal?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How much are they asking for it?

What do you mean, it was an experiment?

You say, "Hey, can you give me a deal on that spider?"

or

"Hey, Will you take <insert dollar amount here> for that spider?"

or

"Hey, an Aldor Quartermaster walked into a Scryer bar..."

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just tel em its a nice spider, and say youre interested but you only have X amount of money, is there anyway this can be worked out?

for example say if it was 36 you might get away with 30.
if its 120 you might be able take it for 100 straight.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sounds kinda familiar, i got my h lividium from a local pet store, they had it marked for $60 and i knew nobody was going to buy it and it was there for about a year, i just asked him if it was the same one that has been there for about a year and he said yeah, so i told him I'd take it off his hands but i wouldn't pay $60 for it and he just said he'd wanted to get rid of it, so i offered $20 and he took it, don't be afraid to ask, if its been there for a while then he will want to get rid of it.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try an barter all the time at Pet Stores, many times they will accept reasonable offers

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You always have a chance if it's a place that's not a chain. I got two adult female H incei for $60 at a pet store once, and they were listed as $60 each. The one that Michael Jacobi used to work at in Nashville. They had been trying to find a taker for those two for quite awhile.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joe hit the spot.

You can also try "I know this tarantula has been here for a year. I'll take it off your hands for <insert amount here> right now."

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is priced at $50 dollars. They said they were experiementing to see if anyone would buy a species like that.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say just offer him $20-30, if its been there a while he will take it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
WOW.
I thought that said "bartending and petstores"!
Get some crickets, grab a beer, come home at 2 am....
"Where the hell've you been!?"
"Relax, I was just at the petstore!
.....Yup, gettin' drunk at the 'ol petstore!":D

Anyway...

If it's a mom and pop store and not a petco or something, you have a great chance of taking old spiders for cheap. Just do what Joe et al. said and straight out ask for a deal on it. I mean, the worst they could do is say no; It's not like they'll raise the price instead.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW.
I thought that said "bartending and petstores"!
Get some crickets, grab a beer, come home at 2 am....
"Where the hell've you been!?"
"Relax, I was just at the petstore!
.....Yup, gettin' drunk at the 'ol petstore!":D

Anyway...

If it's a mom and pop store and not a petco or something, you have a great chance of taking old spiders for cheap. Just do what Joe et al. said and straight out ask for a deal on it. I mean, the worst they could do is say no; It's not like they'll raise the price instead.
Haha. No not today, just looking for a deal

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just tell them what you feel... say ive noticed this T here for quite sometime... are ther any other takers? if not.... would you mind if i take her for (dollar amount)......

thats how ill go and ask? hope this helps

Peace

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Might try to pick this guy up later this week.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is priced at $50 dollars. They said they were experiementing to see if anyone would buy a species like that.
It looks like no one will buy a species like that at that price. Make an offer!

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Why not get a giant centipede if you want to do that. =P

I work at a petshop and we take offers sometimes especially if something has been there for a while. Heres some tips dont talk to an employee talk to whoever is in charge. I have the authority to make deals and stuff like that but i still always run it by the owners just to make sure.

Number one thing... BRING CASH. We ONLY do deals for people that use cash.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why not get a giant centipede if you want to do that. =P

I work at a petshop and we take offers sometimes especially if something has been there for a while. Heres some tips dont talk to an employee talk to whoever is in charge. I have the authority to make deals and stuff like that but i still always run it by the owners just to make sure.

Number one thing... BRING CASH. We ONLY do deals for people that use cash.
Thanks for the information.

arachi american

Arachnopeon
just tell 'em "you know that thing could kill a kid, right?"

doesnt have to be COMPLETELY true, but its doubtful that your average pet store has proper appreciation for the hurt that spider could put on some unknowing buyer.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just tell 'em "you know that thing could kill a kid, right?"

doesnt have to be COMPLETELY true, but its doubtful that your average pet store has proper appreciation for the hurt that spider could put on some unknowing buyer.
I really hope you meant this in jest. It would be highly irresponsible to spread misinformation about this hobby to the otherwise uninformed. We don't need those that are blissfully unaware of our hobby to become alarmed by a statement such as the one above. This is how false and unsubstantiated nonsense begins among the media, who seem to prefer to demonize those of us who choose to keep these animals in captivity.