Ban on exporting G. rosea????

artemisrush

Arachnopeon
So, a huge reptile dealer (aka importer/reseller) in my area recently doubled the price on his G. rosea and claims it's because their market value has gone up since Chile recently banned their export. I would be VERY happy if that were true but I haven't heard anything else about it. It really seems like he's just using this as an excuse to raise his prices. It doesn't help that he has and AWFUL reputation based on his business practices and downright negligent husbandry. When someone asked him why no one could find any info on it, here was his response: "What are you trying to do? google it?? Information of this nature is not going to be on google. It was given by the "source". The people that EXPORT animals from Chile. I bet you can't find anything about Emperor Scorpions either. Until weeks later, when everyone was informed.... Trickle down information......" It just all seems so shady to me.

Last edited:

artemisrush

Arachnopeon
Wow, I missed that thread when I was checking before I posted this one! I really really hope it's true! I was just so hesitant to believe this scumbag.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why would this be a good thing? are they endangered?
They should be classified as it. Slow growth rates in a harsh environment already means a limited population, and the fact that tens or hundreds of thousands have been taken from their homes for the pet trade dictates they should be nigh annihilated from the wild. I don't think anyone has ever done a "population study" on their numbers so we have no way of knowing how badly they are doing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Beyond the concerns for their numbers in the wild, it irks me that they are very much considered a disposable pet by many. Full grown adults are dirt cheap, meaning anyone can buy them and have little remorse when/if they die. They are "just a spider," after all. OBT's are similar to this, but at least they have the protection of being nasty little buggers and not readily available in most pet stores. Every Petco and PetSmart I walk into has a rosie for sale - hell, I got my mature female for $15 from one several years ago. I know that very few, if any, on this site have the opinion of them being a disposable pet, but you see my point. A price hike would at least deter many away from buying one for the sake of owning a giant spider.

cold blood

Staff member
Why would this be a good thing? are they endangered?
Seriously? Taking HUGE numbers of any slow growing species is an obvious detriment to the long term health of the wild population. The way they have been collected over the past decades is embarrassing. At the rate they've been harvested I'm actually shocked that they are not seriously threatened by now.

So, a huge reptile dealer (aka importer/reseller) in my area recently doubled the price on his G. rosea and claims it's because their market value has gone up since Chile recently banned their export. I would be VERY happy if that were true but I haven't heard anything else about it. It really seems like he's just using this as an excuse to raise his prices. It doesn't help that he has and AWFUL reputation based on his business practices and downright negligent husbandry. When someone asked him why no one could find any info on it, here was his response: "What are you trying to do? google it?? Information of this nature is not going to be on google. It was given by the "source". The people that EXPORT animals from Chile. I bet you can't find anything about Emperor Scorpions either. Until weeks later, when everyone was informed.... Trickle down information......" It just all seems so shady to me.
First off, if the dealer has a horrible reputation, why are you even looking there or talking to them...there's PLENTY of very reputable places to buy t's from, go there and avoid this goofball.

Yes, he's just trying to make a bigger buck off people, nothing more. Even cb rosies are cheap....actually cheaper by a bunch, because you can get them as slings....which I regularly see being sold for less than $5...often $1-3.

Its really as simple as not shopping at this turkey's store....and if it begins with LL or backwater, it wouldn't surprise me.

With all the t availability in the hobby right now, I really don't foresee a huge run or any real price increase on rosies because of this new ban on importation....not in the near future anyway....their just not popular enough...the only reason they are even popular at all with newbs is because they don't know any better and made an off the cuff purchase.

Last edited:

artemisrush

Arachnopeon
It's not LL or backwater. He's an individual who posts ads in the reptile classifieds page I use. I'd never give him my busines. To me, the lower prices that importers offer aren't even remotely worth it.