Bald booty

Arianna Patterson

Arachnopeon
Forgive me if this has already been asked a trillion times. I don't use this forum often but do find it very helpful although I have difficulty navigating. Anyway, my brachypelma albopilosum has recently started losing his hair on his rump. Not a normal premoult bald spot. Is he kicking hairs? Stressed? I'm getting worried as the spot gets larger. Any guidance, recommendations, advice etc?

Attachments

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually two trillion times...;)

It's more than likely from kicking, nothing to be seriously concerned about. Assuming you have a proper set up, and your not "bothering" it multiple times a day?

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Forgive me if this has already been asked a trillion times. I don't use this forum often but do find it very helpful although I have difficulty navigating. Anyway, my brachypelma albopilosum has recently started losing his hair on his rump. Not a normal premoult bald spot. Is he kicking hairs? Stressed? I'm getting worried as the spot gets larger. Any guidance, recommendations, advice etc?
Looks like he’s been kicking hairs, don’t worry about it, it’s 110% normal:D

Arianna Patterson

Arachnopeon
Actually two trillion times...;)

It's more than likely from kicking, nothing to be seriously concerned about. Assuming you have a proper set up, and your not "bothering" it multiple times a day?
Correct I don't bother him. We did a full clean of his home about a month ago due to a lost meal worm that I didn't want stressing him out if it were to molt into beetle stage somewhere in the substrate. Otherwise i hardly bother him other than to just feed him. Thanks for the 2 trillionth reply of encouragement. I figured he was just kickin but i sure hope he isn't kickin due to stress. Can't imagine what would be stressful. Besides the new 3 week old crying baby in the house. Haha probably just mad he ain't the only baby anymore. ;-)

Looks like he’s been kicking hairs, don’t worry about it, it’s 110% normal:D
Getting fiesty in his old age. Grumpy old man. Thanks for the encouragement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, is he a MM? They seem to develop quite the bald spot over time.

But maybe he's just a bit stressed about the whole cleaning thing. Maybe you could post a picture of the whole enclosure, just to be sure there's nothing of concern.
And always crush a mealworm's head to prevent burrowing. Although, if it's a MM you really don't need to worry so much as it can't harm your boy. They're only dangerous to a moulting T.

Arianna Patterson

Arachnopeon
So, is he a MM? They seem to develop quite the bald spot over time.

But maybe he's just a bit stressed about the whole cleaning thing. Maybe you could post a picture of the whole enclosure, just to be sure there's nothing of concern.
And always crush a mealworm's head to prevent burrowing. Although, if it's a MM you really don't need to worry so much as it can't harm your boy. They're only dangerous to a moulting T.
Cool! Didn't know the crushing head thing. I suppose he could be a MM but I wouldn't really know how to know if he is? He just had a moult a bit before I cleaned his home.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Can you get a picture of his pedipalps and - if possible - the underside of his front legs? I'm sure we can figure out if he's mature or not. :)