Bad news for me.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, my C. Vitatus had babies on the 19th and I was very excited.

I decided to move the cage from the downstairs living room where there is always noise due to me having roomamtes to my bedroom to limit stress on momma. This seemed to be the best idea but turned out it wasnt.

Today I get home from my 4 day weekend of camping and 90 degree plus weather and all my babies have been eaten. Seeing as how I left the cage in my room over the weekend and it got so hot outside it probably hit mid 90s or higher in my room. Momma was probably way stressed by such a temp change seeing as how she is usually at 75-80 degree.

So bottom line is I learned soemthing. Dont leave your newborns with momma for a 4 day weekend unless you check the weather report and think about how warn your room will get. Guess I underestimate what my GF means when she says the weather will be "nice."

I screwed up and I fell horrible about it. :8o :(

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh man
sorry to hear that man
i was out of town as well (in San Diego where it was 72, not 92) but fortunately had the g/f looking over the zoo room...

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Sorry to hear your bad news. It can be frustrating to lose critters. I just lost my smallest G. pulchra (tarantula) the other day.

On the other hand, I've been waiting for my emp to have her babies since November or so! Hope she gets around to it soon. :)

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Wysi

prang11 said:

I decided to move the cage from the downstairs living room where there is always noise due to me having roomamtes to my bedroom to limit stress on momma. This seemed to be the best idea but turned out it wasnt.

Today I get home from my 4 day weekend of camping and 90 degree plus weather and all my babies have been eaten. Seeing as how I left the cage in my room over the weekend and it got so hot outside it probably hit mid 90s or higher in my room. Momma was probably way stressed by such a temp change seeing as how she is usually at 75-80 degree.

So bottom line is I learned soemthing. Dont leave your newborns with momma for a 4 day weekend unless you check the weather report and think about how warn your room will get. Guess I underestimate what my GF means when she says the weather will be "nice."

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well that's just not good at all...... Sorry for the disappointment!! There's always next time.....

prang11 said:

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. Stuff happens.

Hopefully I can try again soon. Learn something new everyday.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Correction to my story.

Upon closer examination of the cage I found many dead babies around the cage. So the mother didnt eat them, or atleast didnt eat all them. They had to have either died from starvation or from heat.

So my new question is which one is more likly. I think the heat probably because they are younger and more tempermental. I wouldnt think 4 days without food would dramatically effect these little guys.

Im still sad about this. :8o

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heat/humidity
it was hot, but not THAT hot...
iirc, C.v. needs some decent (70-75%) humidity...

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
in normal natural circumstances this would be fine

but your tank probably is only normal while you are there (watering and opening it)
so maybe there was a buildup of heat ?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like I said before my house gets extremely hot, usually hotter than it is outside. The place was built in 1918 so it isnt exactly the highest quality construction. My room on a hot day will eaisly get 5-10 degrees hotter than it is outside.

This just sucks!!

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
heat/humidity
it was hot, but not THAT hot...
iirc, C.v. needs some decent (70-75%) humidity...

I have always kept my C.v at a lower humidity than that. I never spray them so they stay at whatever the humidity in my house is at. The little ones did sucesfully molt obviously because they are of the same coloration of an adult. Who knows, maybe I have no clue what I am doing.

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh honey, quit being so hard on yourself!! Sorry you're still feeling bad...

T

prang11 said:
I have always kept my C.v at a lower humidity than that. I never spray them so they stay at whatever the humidity in my house is at. The little ones did sucesfully molt obviously because they are of the same coloration of an adult. Who knows, maybe I have no clue what I am doing.