Bad Molt In Progess...Advice Requested

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Hi all,

I need your advice...I just received a 3.5" Heteroscodra maculata that is in the middle of a bad molt (it tried to molt in transit). Actually, middle may not be the right term because the tips of its fangs have already started to harden. At this point the 4 rear-most legs are all stuck in the old exuvium. The rest of the legs and the body are free and the Ts is getting feisty so it looks like it will make it. How long should I wait before I remove the stuck legs? Or, should I just let the T do it on its own after it has hardened fully.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

btw, my first reaction was to clear the book lungs (they were slightly stuck) and to now leave it be.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Jeff
Take the tarantula and put it in a moist container and wait a day or two ...hopefully the spider will lose the old skin

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Thanks for the help. That is exactly what I have done.

But the poor thing is currently hamstrung with its old exuvium wrapping up all four of its back legs and I am assuming that at some point this will have to come off either by its own accord or mine.

Jeff

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Well, he/she ended up casting off all the trapped limbs on its own and now seems very feisty.

Here it is after losing the legs:

and here is close-up of the stumps:

Since I let it do it itself there was very little fluid loss.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hope everything goes well it will be fine after its next molt hopefully. at least it still has 5 legs

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Actually, only 4. That last back leg is about to come off as it is only hanging from some of the old exuvium. I guess I will have to give this guy some majot TLC to get it fattened up for the next molt which I hope will be soon.

Jeff

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look on the bright side....it may slow it down enough that you don't need a cast net, googles and a flare gun to open the lid of it's enclosure :D

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Originally posted by Critterfarm
Look on the bright side....it may slow it down enough that you don't need a cast net, googles and a flare gun to open the lid of it's enclosure :D
LOL....believe me I thought about that as I was operating on this guy yesterday and again last night as I moved it into a better ICU.

Jeff

armando

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jcohen9999 the same thing happened to my t blondi when it molted but luckily it lost one leg but a month after the molt , it molted again and regrew its lost leg ,so dont worry just give it some tlc and it should get those legs back in no time.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Thanks armando and Josh. It's been 1 day and all seems well so far. It still has the one leg that is useless but I still suspect it will toss that soon.

Jeff

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The poor thing!!! I hope all ends up well! Best of luck to you and your tuff little T!!!
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Thanks you all for your good wishes but unfortunately I came tonight to find this poor creature in a death curl and unresponsive to any nudging...oh well, these things happen I guess.

Jeff