bad handler

Daisey_Boo222

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay so i have this Pink toe, and its really pretty. I really want to hold it, but every time i try to handle it, it rears up like its going to bite. the person i got it from said it was gentle, and when i first bought it, it was fine. SO i'm pointing the finger at me, because i'm not that good at handling the creatures.
if you could take time and help the inexperienced, i'd appreciate it! :D

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO you should only handle your T if really necessary and only if you feel confident enought, if you feel insecure dont try it, wait until you get more used to it and vice versa.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea is very different from most T's. They are usually pretty okay with being handled, though our rosea is the only one that has ever gone into threat position (the rearing up on the hind legs that you described). I agree that you should probably only handle them when you "need" to, but that's just my personal opinion. It's not really natural for a tarantula to be handled since they don't really need companionship like a dog or cat would. And it can be stressful for them and increases the risk of a fatal fall. Not everyone feels this way and lots of people do handle their T's regularly, but personally I only handle mine when cleaning or changing cages or when they climb on me by accident (which happens a lot with avics). You may also just need to give this one time to adjust. If you just got it, it may not feel comfortable in its surroundings and thus might feel especially defensive.

Herps&Inverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you sure its rearing up? I noticed this when I started out with Pinktoes--they raise their legs high as they walk. They don't do this naturally when in their cage, but they do when they're walking on something strange. Do this test before sacrificing your hand, put your T on your bed (or on the floor, if you're secure). If its raising up the same way, it's probably just curious about what's above it. I've had more pinktoes than any other tarantula...and I can venture to say...A. avic won't be getting any aggressive marks from this girl :)

If that test doesn't apply to you, slide a un-handed glove toward the spider...if she climbs, use your hand...if she bites, abandon any idea of handling and ask yourself what is making her so upset! lol!

Sam

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Herps&Inverts said:
Are you sure its rearing up? I noticed this when I started out with Pinktoes--they raise their legs high as they walk. They don't do this naturally when in their cage, but they do when they're walking on something strange. Do this test before sacrificing your hand, put your T on your bed (or on the floor, if you're secure). If its raising up the same way, it's probably just curious about what's above it. I've had more pinktoes than any other tarantula...and I can venture to say...A. avic won't be getting any aggressive marks from this girl :)

If that test doesn't apply to you, slide a un-handed glove toward the spider...if she climbs, use your hand...if she bites, abandon any idea of handling and ask yourself what is making her so upset! lol!

Sam

That's what I was thinking, too. All Avics I've ever handled have that funky little walk, lifting and "feeling" out with their front legs, especially A. versicolors. I've discovered that they are really trying to judge distances over which to jump, but it does sorta resembe a threat display. I've never seen an Avic avic give a real threat display, or bite, for that matter.

I would not recommend a Rosehair for a first-time handling T, though. I've had more of this than any other species, and I've YET to have one that would not, from time to time, often for no apparent reason, give a very geniune threat display, and bite in earnest if pushed any further. This is the only species I've ever been bitten by. They will be fine and docile one day, and rear up at the slightest provocation the next. In contrast, I have four Aphonopelma chalcodes, and none have ever shown the slightest hint of aggression, although one is a bit of a hair-kicker when first touched. I'd recommend this species over pretty much any other for someone who wants a handleable T(one that ain't too bad-looking, either), but who's not really 100% comfortable with them just yet. At least they don't make those flying leaps to land on your face, like most Avics will; THAT can really startle the bejeebus out of a newbie T owner like nothing else will!

pitbulllady

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like from BRAZIL said above confidence is key and you should only handle when you are comfortable with it, if you are nervous you are more likely to react wrong to the T's movement and that could be fatal for the poor critter, so my advise is to get comfortable with watching and getting accustom to it's movement and you should soon feel a little more at ease around it and then that is the time to try to handle it... Greg