Baby sharing?!?!

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my other post I mentioned that my other two emps had given birth today. Well when I peeked inside their hide, one of the two had more babies than the other. I am curious, since they are in the hide together, is it possible that the babies transfered from one mom to the other? I know that both of them are defending the babies. The one with the most babies was very close to the second one, and the second one had babies underneath her, possibly she was not done giving birth herself. But it is quite a cool thing to see them share in caring for the babies, I dont want to disturb them too much or I would take pix. I am wondering if I should take out the male so he wont much on the kids when they start moving around. Any thoughts? :?

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you can manage a stealth ninja removal operation ;) would be good, its better safe then sorry.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
move the male out asap! (its for the best)

this guy called Fabre documented changing 1st instars to different mothers on the backs of Buthus occitanus, so if an agressive buthid will do it, why not an emp ;p