baby box turtle

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just thought id share a pic of my new baby box turtle a friend was doing some yard work and found a nest of hibernating baby hatchlings he offered me 2 but i only took the one here is a photo of my new friend newturtle1.jpg

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey my Arkansan brother,

Very nice pic!!! I have a young female 3 toed box turtle I keep in an outside pen. Your lucky to get a hatchling. The 3 toeds are native here and I have not seen a hatchling in my entire life (26 years), only adults and rarely juveniles. They are very elusive. In fact the female I have now is the smallest I've ever seen/collected and she is a juvie.

Looks like you have a great set up there for the babys. In a few years I suggest you set up an outdoor pen, since you are from their native area. My female really enjoys the sunlight and even hibernates outside during the winter months. Hopefully I'll run across a male before too long.

Keep us posted on how your guy/gal does.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like box turtles. I never found a baby either when I was a kid. My grandfather would take me road hunting them out in the country when I was around 10. Then they seemed to disappear for years, imo I think it had something to do with the fire ants. Fire ants have had a die-off in recent years though, I read scientist don't fully understand why but I take it as good news. I don't like those things. At the same time the fire ants were dying off, I started seeing more an more box turtles. I don't know if there's anything to it but seems like it would.

Furret

Arachnosquire
My very first pet was a box turtle..his name was Marty and I would bring him to school every week for "show and tell" day until the teacher got sick of him and told me to stop bringing him in :( post more photos of your little baby, he's very cute!!!

jerrymmonday

Arachnopeon
I found my first baby this year. The reason the are so hard to find is the spend about 70% of their first few years under cover. I have mine in a 20 gal long and hardly ever seen him only when he comes out to eat or drink.

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just an update on the baby box turtle its doing great eats like a pig i have been feeding mainly waxworms and mealworms
i have only seen a few babies in my entire life its pretty cool to find one my father used to keep turtles when he was a boy
my grandfather would feed them raw hamburger and some tomatoes thanks for looking

Attachments

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
That's pretty darn cute.

I'd be careful with that diet, though.

Box turtles need a highly varied diet, and waxworms and mealworms is pretty much just fat and protein.

My Three-toed gets:

Protein: shrimp, crickets, superworms, earthworms, red wigglers, slugs, roaches, chicken, and hardboiled eggs (I switch food twice a week, and stick mainly to the bugs and invertebrate protein sources).

Fruit: Papaya, Apples, Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Kiwi, Mango, Tomato, Squash, Pumpkin, Grapes, Watermelon, Honeydew, Cantaloupe, Peaches, Nectarines (again, varied twice a week, usually two fruits from that list per meal)

Veggies: Sweet Potato, Spinach, Dandelion (leaves), Endive, Radicchio, Kale, Collard Greens, Carrots (same as before, varied twice a week, usually one or two per meal)

I pick 5 or 6 items from this list (2 from each catgory). A baby box turtle needs more protein than an adult, so I would include more protein in the diet of a younger box turtle, but you really need to give it more than just mealworms and waxworms. That's like raising a human baby on potato chips and beef jerky.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats awesome. I didnt even know they made babies of those. Haha. Yeah watch that diet. When i had my russian tortoise, i used some plantains, and dandelions alot.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello,

Further to the useful dietary information posted by another, I've bred and reared several Box Turtle species during my career with the Bx Zoo - please see this article on Box Turtle Diets http://bitly.com/KdBHHv. Also, adequate UVB exposure is critical; please see the comments under "Lighting" in this tortoise article http://bitly.com/KY9MHP and feel free to post any questions. Please keep i mind also that post states protect box turtles and prohibit their collection; Best, Frank