Baby Bark Scorpion

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Orchid! Hey cool, another rookie with bark scorpions, aka Centruroides sculpturatus. The people on this board are pretty cool and helpful. You have the same scorpions running around house that I do! Welcome. Oh, and a girl too. :)
Yep, I guess if I'm going to start, I might as well start with something dangerous :-| He's up on a high shelf, don't want the kids to get anywhere close to him!! But he's so cute, fun to watch. I'm enjoying him! When I was younger I volunteered at the local museum, I walked around with a large black scorpion on my shoulder, use to scare people, yeah, I enjoyed it, not to sure about them, but...
I'm not to crazy about them running around the house, their on the cinder block walls outside, that's kind of okay, but still not crazy about it (I have young children)... But I do enjoy going out at night with a black light!
I have a picture of the large one black lighted, I love the picture, it was fun to take!!
Are there not too many girls this site?? Girls like bugs too!! At least I always did... It's nice to meet you!!

Oh, I kept the baby, he's in this photo, but did not light up very well, his name is Curly :)

Last edited:

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do be careful though, if you have small children at home you don't want them to get stung. My neighbor's child got stung on her face while sleeping and ended up in the emergency room. I use to have tons running around the block walls and I would mail them out to posters on this site. Now maybe you can do that? :) I have only caught two in two weeks though. I have greatly reduced the population, at least temporarily.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do be careful though, if you have small children at home you don't want them to get stung. My neighbor's child got stung on her face while sleeping and ended up in the emergency room. I use to have tons running around the block walls and I would mail them out to posters on this site. Now maybe you can do that? :) I have only caught two in two weeks though. I have greatly reduced the population, at least temporarily.
Hello Kathy.
Yeah, I got stung recently and don't know where it went (ouch does not describe it, but I still think contractions hurt more), it was upstairs so I'm tearing the whole second floor apart to hopefully find it! I black light the kids rooms and check in on them all through out the night. I'm so not crazy about having them in the house.
I didn't think you could mail scorpions?? My sister really wants one, can I mail her on?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I hear you on that. I can't stand having them loose in my house. I spent $650 this summer having the exterior and interior of my house sealed as much as possible to keep them from getting inside, but the best way to reduce the population is to just catch them. I could not believe how many were running around my yard at night. I felt bad for killing them initially then I found this board and started mailing them to people who wanted them. To answer your question.....can they be mailed? Legally through USPS you have to send them ground mail, needs to be clearly marked scorpion, double packed, etc. The requirements are on the post office site. OR you can do what many businesses and sellers do which is send them two day priority mail and hope you don't get caught. Your call.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
shipperooni

Very well put kathy! I am impressed. :clap:

An addition if I may, Express is your best bet imo. 1. depending on weather at ship and receive point, faster is better. Most dealers/stores won't do a live arrival guarantee unless they ship Express/overnight. 2. I would think it would get less scrutiny as they are just rushing to get it there. 3. It does cost more, but if you are only doing it once and while, and you can afford to, I personally would. And, if you need info on how to package, there is a lot of info on here if you search for it. :O) Have fun! ryan

To answer your question.....can they be mailed? Legally through USPS you have to send them ground mail, needs to be clearly marked scorpion, double packed, etc. The requirements are on the post office site. OR you can do what many businesses and sellers do which is send them two day priority mail and hope you don't get caught. Your call.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know, Orchid, if you have excess sculpts, you can always send them to me!:rolleyes: I'm not kidding! I can send you a money order right now! lol But thats only if you have a lot. ;)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Warren....oh SURE, now that ORCHID has all the c. sculpts everyone wants to be HER friend. It's "ORCHID, ORCHID, ORCHID". Now that Kathy's well has run dry, it's Kathy who?? LOL! {D Oh, I'm just messin' with ya all. I bet with a little prodding she will start mailing them out to all of you! :)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Warren....oh SURE, now that ORCHID has all the c. sculpts everyone wants to be HER friend. It's "ORCHID, ORCHID, ORCHID". Now that Kathy's well has run dry, it's Kathy who?? LOL!
Pretty much. Besides, I didn't know you were giving away free scorps until after you announced you were out. :p

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice catch! Soon, you will be at a point of no return with Scorpions! You'll want more and more and more, until you run out of money, and by then, your addiction will not be curable. I'm not trying to scare you, because its a good addiction! I'm saying this from experience.With me, there is no going back.LOL :8o

Edit: Send them to me! Fuel my addiction! I'll even pre-pay for them!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I hear you on that. I can't stand having them loose in my house. I spent $650 this summer having the exterior and interior of my house sealed as much as possible to keep them from getting inside, but the best way to reduce the population is to just catch them. I could not believe how many were running around my yard at night. I felt bad for killing them initially then I found this board and started mailing them to people who wanted them. To answer your question.....can they be mailed? Legally through USPS you have to send them ground mail, needs to be clearly marked scorpion, double packed, etc. The requirements are on the post office site. OR you can do what many businesses and sellers do which is send them two day priority mail and hope you don't get caught. Your call.
That's neat, I'll do that when my sisters back stateside. I'll go the legal route, don't want to get into trouble for sending little nasty bugs in the mail!!
I've been out looking for some more the last two nights but haven't seen any!! But I didn't use a black light, just a flash light. Maybe that means they went back to the neighbors yard where they belong!!! If I start to find large numbers of them again, I'll pack them up and see about sending them out, but I hope not to find to many again!!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gotta get a B.L.

You won't find many without a black light. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but don't think you got them all because you didn't see them at night with a flashlight! You will need a black light flashlight if you really want to get rid of most of what's in your yard and by your house.. I don't sell them, but I just got one from this guy, he is a scorpion guy and very nice as well. Good luck!

http://www.azscorpion.com/BkLt.html

That's neat, I'll do that when my sisters back stateside. I'll go the legal route, don't want to get into trouble for sending little nasty bugs in the mail!!
I've been out looking for some more the last two nights but haven't seen any!! But I didn't use a black light, just a flash light. Maybe that means they went back to the neighbors yard where they belong!!! If I start to find large numbers of them again, I'll pack them up and see about sending them out, but I hope not to find to many again!!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ryan,
there is a similar UV flashlight on Ebay that you can get for under $20 (shipping included). It looks the same, except there are 51 UV LED instead of 49. you always want to shop around.
I got mine for $13 (shipping included). let me give you the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-395-nm-Ul...QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

You won't find many without a black light. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but don't think you got them all because you didn't see them at night with a flashlight! You will need a black light flashlight if you really want to get rid of most of what's in your yard and by your house.. I don't sell them, but I just got one from this guy, he is a scorpion guy and very nice as well. Good luck!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Ah, I find them all the time with a regular flash light!!! I have good eyes :)
as a matter of fact, a good half of the ones I found are with out any light, I just spotted them. I need to look into getting a black light flashlight thing, easier to use then an extension cord and big ole light!!
I'm just being hopeful, I'm sure their still out there romping around my yard, but let me have my delusion dream of a scorpion free home!! lol

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, I find them all the time with a regular flash light!!! I have good eyes :)
as a matter of fact, a good half of the ones I found are with out any light, I just spotted them. I need to look into getting a black light flashlight thing, easier to use then an extension cord and big ole light!!
I'm just being hopeful, I'm sure their still out there romping around my yard, but let me have my delusion dream of a scorpion free home!! lol
See, just caught one with a flash light, but could not find anyone with a black light!!!! Not sure what I'm going to do with this guy....

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well.....at least double digits! :D
The one I found last night has a set of little broomy looking sweepers under it's body. I'll try to get a picture, but my camera does not do great close ups. Do you know what that is???
I'm looking by the way!!! Can I keep them in the same container or separate? How many to a container? And how much??? :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pectines

Broomy things are pectines, they are organs they use and with some species you can use them to tell what sex they are. I have some pictures of some in my photobucket if you want to see them a little closer. As far as together or separate goes, in collecting containers you should keep them separate for sure. All scorpions will eat other scorpions if they get hungry enough. So If you aren't going to feed them when you put them together, and keep them full, you should for sure keep them separate. Some people keep Centruroides sp. including your's, in group cages. But even then with plants and lots of "hides" for them, they can still get each other. So it's really your call. They could end up cannabalizing if you put them together, but I think it's o.k. to try if you do it right. (lots of hides, food) But if you are going to send them to people, it will be easier for you to wrangle them if they are separate. Good luck!

The one I found last night has a set of little broomy looking sweepers under it's body. I'll try to get a picture, but my camera does not do great close ups. Do you know what that is???
I'm looking by the way!!! Can I keep them in the same container or separate? How many to a container? And how much??? :)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Broomy things are pectines, they are organs they use and with some species you can use them to tell what sex they are. I have some pictures of some in my photobucket if you want to see them a little closer. As far as together or separate goes, in collecting containers you should keep them separate for sure. All scorpions will eat other scorpions if they get hungry enough. So If you aren't going to feed them when you put them together, and keep them full, you should for sure keep them separate. Some people keep Centruroides sp. including your's, in group cages. But even then with plants and lots of "hides" for them, they can still get each other. So it's really your call. They could end up cannabalizing if you put them together, but I think it's o.k. to try if you do it right. (lots of hides, food) But if you are going to send them to people, it will be easier for you to wrangle them if they are separate. Good luck!
Neat, thanks!!! I was a little surprised when I was looking at it this morning and saw those! I'll feed the little guy while I have him, no one starves in my house (unless they piss me off). If I ever find the one that stung me upstairs, HE will starve :)
I'll have to go get some deli cups I guess, what would I put in it?? My baby loves his wet cotton ball, he's on it every morning, would that be good for the larger one?
Thank you!!!!