Baboons drumming?

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
Trying to get to sleep just now when I was awoken by a loud drumming sound of which I listen to as I type; I flick to light switch to notice my young juevenile OBT drumming its heart out with its pedipalps; does this mean its an immature male looking for love?

I first noticed this behaviour when I rehoused it and it found the cork bark with its own web on and started drumming; maybe it was confused and believed it to be someone else's web. I also think I've seen my spiderling C darlingi doing something similar.

Does this mean I've two males, I've not found a source saying immature males drum.

Thanks !

MB623

Arachnoknight
I had a juvie male OBT that drummed all the time. Never knew why though.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Some tarantulas (male and female) will tap or drum for reasons other than mating.

For example, I heard quick, loud tapping one night coming from my H. lividum enclosure. She has her burrow right up against the glass, an I could see that a superworm beetle had some how ended up between the web and the glass. She didn't want anything to do with it, and I watched as she repeatedly tried to grab it through the web, and tap repeatedly on it until she was able to finally grab it and deposit it in the corner.

Another example would be my P. metallicas, whom I always assumed were tapping for mates, but have since seen both tap legs quickly and loudly right after/before grooming them or eating.

I've also have a communal of H. gabonesis, and a small one of H. incei. I have noticed that both males, females, and slings will tap as they walk around sometimes, especially if they detect other individuals nearby (though I don't think slings will tap when larger adults are around!).

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Sometimes they drum if they think they have some prey in their webs but the prey is faking dead (dubia for example). Vibrations to localize the prey or make it move. Seen this with a C. fimbriatus.