b.smithi or b.hamorii

mike054

Arachnopeon
im really confused right now.. i've read some articles that b.smithi is now b.hamorii. but someone told me that b.smithi and b.hamorii are two different species.. is b.smithi still there? badly needs some clear answers..

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Yes, both are valid species. B. smithi now is what previously had been labeled in the hobby as B. annitha, at least to my understanding. What we previously called B. smithi should be B. hamorii.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Recently, B. smithi was changed to B. hamorii, and B. annitha was changed to B. smithi.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
B. hamorii had actually already existed, it was just discovered that the original description of smithi was of a specimen of hamorii. Confusing, I know, but the general gist is what I stated in my first post.

McGruder

Arachnopeon
@mike054, thanks for putting this question up. I've been confused about this issue as well, and it's good to have some answers.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I just know I own two female Mexican red knees. Too confusing and goofy to name change the most famous tarantula. Like making Jordan change his name to Bird.

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
I just know I own two female Mexican red knees. Too confusing and goofy to name change the most famous tarantula. Like making Jordan change his name to Bird.
Science isn't meant to be easy, this change has been to correct taxonomic errors of the past.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I just found this out not too long ago. Told someone I had a Smithi and they told me it was a Hamorii. So I was like okay, I have a Hamorii now. But reciently I was told he looks more like a true Smithi and yeah. Essntially it's confusing but here's my Smithi (mostly because I love showing off pictures of him). As you can sort of tell through the really shitty photo he has more orange on his top part where as hamorii's have more black. 20180112_105455.jpg Here's a picture someone showed me showing the differences.
Note the annitha = smithi and the Smithi = hamorii. annitha_smithi.jpg

Attachments