B.smithi or B. emilia

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yesterday I picked up 2 new T's. My problem is the place I got them from lables them by their common name. I know that one is a P. irminia its the other one that I am confused about the container says Mexican Red Leg but on the way out I asked one of the employees what the scientific name was for the T they were selling in the back with out showing him the one I had (they didn't have any other Brachypelma sp. for sale besides the one I purchased) and he said B.smithi. I am a little confused becuase I thought B. emilia was the Red Leg. Its only about 1" so its hard to take a picture of it. Any way to tell the 2 apart at this size? Its not a big deal which one I have but I want to know so I can get the other one as well.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I think you might have a hard time identifying what T you have there before it has grown a little. But if you see an upside down dark V appearing on the T's carpace (seen from the front) then it's an emilia.

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks I figured it would be a tough call. I will keep watch for that as it grows. Either way I won't be unhappy. I guess I just have to wait and see what I have and then get the one I don't.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also think you will have to wait until it starts showing its adult colors before you know for sure. Either way, they are both great tarantulas and you won't be disappointed with either one.

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I know I won't be dissapointed either way...its just my husband (who is not into T's) but a limit of 8 on me...Yeah I am working on that but for now its 8 I already have 6...and a freind of mine who own a petshop has a 2" B. smithi that I was going to get...oh well if I end up with 2 I just end up with 2.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldnt worrie too much about it they are easy to tell appart later in life . and you dont need to know now, as they will thrive in the same conditions . Either way you got a nice T . :)

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks...also any suggestions on photographing them at such a small size? I tried yesterday but it was pretty blurry. I am working with a Sony f707 digi cam. Not a bad camera but hope to upgrade to a Nikon D50 soon.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does your camera have a macro mode? Look for a button or menu option labelled with a picture of a little flower. When you use your camera in macro mode it sets itself up to focus on things very close to it, which is a much easier way to photograph small things than using the zoom or whatever. You should try and keep the camera as steady as possible in macro because a tiny bit of shake can make it blurry. I usually rest my cam on the edge of my T tank when I take a pic.

Good luck with the pic. And like everyone else has said you will love your Brachy whether it's a smithi or an emilia. I have both, my smithi is 2.5", gorgeous but hides all the time. My emilia is 1.5", nowhere near as shy and has a lovely calm personality but can be a little nervous sometimes. Congrats on your new T :)

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, My camera has Marco mode...I hardly ever use zoom. I think flash may have been my trouble. Being that the T is in a small glass candle style enclosure the flash maybe reflecting somehow. I will try taking them in the daytime today.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At that size it may be next to impossible to ID (for certain) from a photo. This is a guesstimate, but at about 1.5 inches your little brachy should show some hint of color. B emilia, which I thought was called "painted leg" has a black triangle on its carapace as cirith ungol stated. I won't even attempt to learn the common names of the orange/red/black brachys...it's just too confusing!
here's an interesting link about brachypelma
http://www.brachypelmas.co.uk/just brachypelma/carapace.htm

Last edited:

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pics added

Thanks, Well when I looked up Mexican Red Leg B. emilia is what came up. When I searched for Red Knee it was B. smithi that came up. I am still very new to the whole T world... my knowlegde is with constrictors for the most part...but I am trying to absorb as much info as possible on Tarantulas. Thanks for the link as well.

Here are a few pics I snapped today not the best but just thought I would share.

no flash

\

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You have a B. emilia there. A cute one too :D

What is that substrate? Looks a bit like sand. If it is you should swap it out asap I don't think it's good for Ts.

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really you think so? That is what I was hoping it was..since I am getting a B. Smithi from a friend soon.

I think it maybe sand..doesn't look like calci sand or any other reptile sand though. I bought the T and the jar it was in together. I am going to pick up soil and I have some vermiculite here. Should I change it to that. This is the only one I have on this substate as I did not put it in there.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When it gets a little bigger, you will see the legs of a B. smithis- if it is one, look almost segmented with colors...the carapaces at that size look very similar, but the legs are very different. A B. emilia's legs will look very orangy/copper at the ends up to about the third segment (sorry, don't know the name of that body part!) With my first smithi I wasn't sure if I had the right specie either. But the legs are a dead giveaway!

Lori

Arachnopeon
hide

I was wondering about your hide....it looks great but is there any concern that a bigger T would move the substrate and get crushed by the rock?

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well I swaped out the sand with peet moss and potting soil mixture. The rock hide seems safe to me.. the rock is very light and actually pretty secure its kind of flat where it meet the floor then slopes up..I can shift the enclosure a bit and it doesnt move ( I tried this when I had the T in a vial while I was switching the substrate) SO I hope everything is right now.

amberlecemu

Arachnopeon
I'd love to have an Emilia added to my collection, pity there's none in stock now and the one i saw at the store the other day got picked up first by someone else. Enjoy.;)

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope it does turn out to be one. I have been lucky to find everything I was looking for locally. I wouldn't mind having to ship but its just soo much easier when I can pick them up in person. I have a few more on my list. The only one I got that wasn't is the P. irminia...my husband who doesn't even like them though it was nice looking so had me get it along with this one. I have heard alot about them..and most say they are pretty aggressive...since I am new to this I was trying to stick with the more docile species...oh well....guess I got one that will really keep me on my toes.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Haha, I know what you mean. I have only been keeping Ts about 2 months and just got an OBT, fast as hell and a bit scary but I love it :D You just have to respect what it can do and consider how it might react to things, and you'll be fine.