B Smithi Moult. A girl?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wahey! My big ol' smithi Tom is moulting right now. He (I think he is now a she!) is almost out and is lying on top of the final piece, getting his strength back. Pictures you say? Coming as soon as my camera is charged up. Missed most of the moult unfortunately but usually I don't even see this part. Mostly I come home and see a shed exuviem with a spider next to it. Tom was nearly 5" before, can't wait to get the ruler out now!!

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow I think today is B.Smithi Moult Day because ours 2" molted about 30 mins ago

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your moult too! I have just managed to remove the exuvium and I am pretty sure he is now a she :) Any ideas what sex your smithi is?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok ,the forum is back up so I can put my pictures on :)

This is her after the moult, see how much colour she has in her. You can see the little web-mat she made to moult on here too:

So, what do you guys think? Is this a female? I'm pretty sure it is but would like a few other opinions:

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that a big rock you got in there for her ?? looks like a good set up.

Sam,

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigSam
Is that a big rock you got in there for her ?? looks like a good set up.

Sam,
It is a big rock, she seems to like to sit on it sometimes. I find that she is not much of a climber or a digger, more of a sitter :D There was also a half a coconut shell in there too but I took it out to take the picture. Since that picture was taken she has been moved into a glass aquarium with a bit more space:)

Thanks for confirming that Tom is actually more of a Tina too :D

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like I'm a tad late on the response but you have a female there. If only all the sex me pics were so easy to tell. :)

Phil

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Phillip
If only all the sex me pics were so easy to tell. :)

Phil
If all the pictures were that clear and of molts in decent shape, they would be. I can still remember when I saw my first clear picture of a molt pointing out the "flap". It was like someone had turned on a light in a darkened room. I just wish sexing from the outside were as clear.

Botar

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Me too Botar, but if the flap was on the outside.... it would drag!!!!=D

That's a definite "girlie flap!!"

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It becomes easy from the outside with practice. Better to look at a live one than a pic but with some species such as Brachys it's a piece of cake.

Phil