B. Smithi, L4, wierd behavior, and some general questions.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Hello All!

I think I have a odd b. smithi.
I am relatively new to tarantulas (about 1 year experience).
About a year ago I got a few tarantulas, one of which being a b. smithi, now it is a L4 (3 molts), and it acts COMPLETELY different than the other b. smithies that I have seen on youtube, take this clip for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBYZFeg4zw
It says L5, but there is no way that that is an L5, most likely L4.

In any case. My tarantula is super-docile. It doesn't move around much at all, likes to crawl on the side of it's enclosure and stay there for extended periods of time, likes to crawl in the corner and put half it's body up on the glass, and the other half on the substrate. When I feed it it is never aggressive, I give it flies, crickets, and wax worms, it never fights it's prey, and prefers dead prey over live (or near dead). When I do feed (first introduce the prey) the prey gets near the smithi, the smithi runs (usually up the wall)...

Is this normal?

Also, here are my questions, any answers are greatly appreciated =) Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Should I give a water dish into the enclosure?
2) How long can the b. smithi survive without food for, how do I know when It is desperate?
3) I just remembered, Every time the t molted, he never spun a web to lay on, is this normal?

I will attach a picture tomorrow (as it is a little dark to take pics now
Thanks!

Last edited:

jukahman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I think there is something wrong with your substrate (too wet) thats why your Smithi goes to the glass of your tank. And my smithi last about one month without eating. This is just based on my experience BTW. hope it helps.:razz:

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Too wet substrate aside (it really isnt, he just gets scared by prey), what about the other habbits?
The smithi goes about a month without food.

As promised, I have attached a picture, unfortunately it isn't super clear as it was taken by my phone.

Attachments

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With water dishes, I've heard other T keepers not using them but in all my experience of keeping T's and other arachnids.. I've always kept water dishes. T's get most of their water from the prey (smaller insects) but I've always kept a shallow dish as a precaution.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info so far!
What about the generally slow behaviour? Ive never seen my smithi interested in food at all.
And about the web during molting, and in general, I haven't seen any webs from it at all. Normal?

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
I have a B. Smithi about the same size as yours and when i first got it she always went for the prey and never turned down a meal. As off about 2 weeks ago she sorta just stopped {D
She runs from any food that gets to close to her and she just decides not to eat. So my guess is its just something they do from time to time. :D
Will post pictures of mine in a little bit

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Too many bumps on a thread might warrant an infraction...word to the wise.

xStainD

Arachnopeon
My smithi does the same thing. The substrate is bone dry but for some reason she still feels the need to climb. They can go for a long time without food, as long as the abdomen is plump you have nothing to worry about. Your smithi may be running from prey items because they are too big. Try using smaller crickets and see if that helps. Also, it is never a bad idea to keep a water dish in the enclosure.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Well, I hardly consider 5 days a short period for bumps, anyway, for some reason my smithies behaviour has changed.
I build him a burrow out of some rocks and wood, and now he esily kills prey and drags it away with him... how odd...

Boterbal

Arachnopeon
My Smithi just kills its prey, makes the feeding web, and then just places the killed prey on top of it, leaving it there.
After a day or two I just remove it again, as it just seems interested in the killing, not the actual feeding :S

Confusing :(

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
My smithi makes no webs at all =(

Also, I feed my T waxworms now, and when it does kill them, it drags them into the burrow that I made for it, and eats it there, should I take out the eaten prey out of the burrow? I don't want to disturb the tarantula?

TarantulaRescue

Arachnopeon
Good morning :)
Ts have their own little personalities. Even if they are from the same sac, some eat more than others, and grow faster.
Please see response to your other questions below in caps:
1) Should I give a water dish into the enclosure? GENERALLY RECOMMENDED FOR 3" LEG SPAN OR GREATER.
2) How long can the b. smithi survive without food for, how do I know when It is desperate? RECOMMEND FEEDING AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK.
3) I just remembered, Every time the t molted, he never spun a web to lay on, is this normal? AS LONG AS THE T MOLTS OK, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
TarantulaRescue, Thank you for a great response!
What about the eaten prey, should I remove it from the enclosure? I mean the T drags the prey into his shelter and eats it there, should I lift up the shelter and take out the waxworm, or leave the shelter and the tarantula in peace?

TarantulaRescue

Arachnopeon
It is a good idea to check within 12 hours and remove any dead eaten or uneaten prey, otherwise it will start to smell, possibly attract mold/bacteria, and create an unhealthy environment for the T. Hope that helps! :)