B. Smithi is LOST!!!

Trenth_171

Arachnopeon
I came home the 2 days ago and went to check on my T's. I noticed one was missing and there wasn't a hole where he was hiding. I scooped out all the substrate one spoonful at a time to be sure and sure enough he is gone. I have looked all over and have finally decided that hopefully he will appear someday. Luckily I still got my freebie which is a G. Aureostriata. But it was the smithi that I really wanted.

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You may wanna try turning off all the lights and putting a thing of water in the center of the room and wait for him to show himself at night. I am new to this and hopefully will never have a MIA T. I have heard of others doing this, it might be worth a try. The best of luck and let us know how you make out. :) BTW, how big was your smithi and do you have any other pets roaming around (cat/dog)?

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Did you figure out how it got away? Good luck finding it. :)

Trenth_171

Arachnopeon
he was about 2 1/4 inches and I have 2 dogs in the house. That is another one of my worries. I hope they didn't have a snack.

I had made a homebuilt cage for it and had the top lid made of plexiglass. The corners started to turn up leaving a small gap.

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When my T got out I turned off all teh lights, and closed my blinds my T was more active during the night then the day, then i turned the heater on about 80 deg. and put water in the middle of my room, The heat makes them warm and more active and thirsty and after about an hour I noticed it crawling around my floor,

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck on finding it. The rule of thumb is you don't put it back into the same enclosure. I've known others who have done so only to end up losing their T again. Make sure the encloser is secure. Hope you find it!

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I lost a B. smithi about 5 weeks ago, just a sling (1/2"), and nowhere to be seen. Almost a year ago we had 2 slings disappear, a 1/4" G. rosea and a 1/4" A. seemanni. We never found the A. seemanni, but we did find the G. rosea, a pink spider on pink carpet, about 10 inches from it's old enclosure spot. It had been gone for about 8 weeks, and had obviously molted in that time. I was told they never usually wander far from their enclosures when they get out.
It was a little skinny, but not like I thought it would be. One day though, I almost expect to find the other two that are missing :)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i lost a T once, didnt see him for two weeks until i was driving my truck down the road one day and there he was on the passenger floor board goin for a ride with us.
Good luck on finding your sling and keep us posted on your results.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jbrd said:
i lost a T once, didnt see him for two weeks until i was driving my truck down the road one day and there he was on the passenger floor board goin for a ride with us.
Good luck on finding your sling and keep us posted on your results.
{D {D {D {D Glad you found it

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is plexiglass the same as perspex? Was it the heat that warped it?
my avic tank has a homemade perpex lid 10"x18"x5mm thick and it's never warped.
Maybe your lid was too thin for the size of the surface area. 5mm perspex shouldn't warp, unless its over a large area... Actually, thinking about it, my lid has perspex batons glued on the underside either end to prevent it sliding sideways, maybe that has stopped it warping... :?