B. lateralis sticky backs?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have started a B. lateralis colony. And for some strange reason, they feel sticky.
I went to pick one up and it was sticky, like they all have some type of sticky substance on their backs. I also noticed that they rub their backs against the egg crates sometimes.

Has anyone noticed this and what is it?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it's some kind of defensive strategy. I've also noticed that they deposit that sticky substance onto my fingers when I grab them.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dubias tend to segregate a substance from their mouth that smells really strong, like if it were some kind of defensive way to keep predators from feeding on them.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dubias tend to segregate a substance from their mouth that smells really strong, like if it were some kind of defensive way to keep predators from feeding on them.
Yeah I have noticed the drop they secrete from their mouth but never smelled it or noticed any odor. I always thought that they vomited a little water from them scrunching up so tight after being caught.

Now the "defense" idea makes more sense in the case with both species. It does feel nasty when I grab them though (B. lateralis). I find it odd that it has never been mentioned. Learned something new.:)

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes it's a defense mechanism, it's been mentioned in older posts but it is not the most talked about aspect of these roaches :)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What the...? I've never noticed this before. Do my lateralis just not feel real defensive or what?

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed the same thing with my wood roach nymphs.

When I capture them and put them all in a small plastic container for photographing, they are always getting stuck to each other with this clear slime looking stuff that comes off the tip of their abdomens

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i first found out about this after i fed one to my GBB. i came back to check on it to notice its left1 and left2 legs were stuck together with a sticky substance. so i proceeded to seperate its legs with toothpicks, and then went to the roach colony, and picked one up and it was all over my fingers. reminded me of a "sap" like substance.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well also, correct me if im wrong!

but dont males secrete a substance under here wings wich the females are attracted to and acually "lick" and then proceed to breed.

i have on many occasions noticed my male lateralis and dubia having there wings lifted up exposing there back.

could this be the substance mentioned? it would only make sence for them to secrete a sugar based(which could explain the sap like texture) liquid to attract a nearby female for breeding.

wheres Mattk? haha he knows everything about roaches!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well also, correct me if im wrong!

but dont males secrete a substance under here wings wich the females are attracted to and acually "lick" and then proceed to breed.

i have on many occasions noticed my male lateralis and dubia having there wings lifted up exposing there back.

could this be the substance mentioned? it would only make sence for them to secrete a sugar based(which could explain the sap like texture) liquid to attract a nearby female for breeding.

wheres Mattk? haha he knows everything about roaches!
I would not know this since in my lateralis colony I do not have not one adult male.:(

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
male dubias

i think thats just part of the mating ritual...it sorta dances facing away from the female, if i'm not mistaken.