b lateralis questions?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am getting 1000 b latts next week and i have a couple of questions about them.first what size of tub should i get?i know that they multiply fast so i want to take that into consideration.second, what should i feed them?3rd,how can i keep their humidity up for egg cases.any pics of setups are appreciated!thanks!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Buy a sterilite bin; depending on how big they are you'll probably want a 16 quart or larger. Keep them on a substrate of coconut fiber/cypress mulch/coir/potting soil/topsoil *basically choose three of those and mix them together* For moisture mist the cage and feed them carrots/yams.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep most roaches in a Sterlite 66 quart bin. Lats are great because they eat anything. A good colony of them will eat a whole cantelope melon overnight.
Use the same substrate suggested as posted above about 2 inches deep.

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why the substrate?

:confused: I don't use ANY substrate with my roaches... is there a specific reason why you guys do? Most of the people I know with colonies don't either. I don't have any problems with them reproducing on bare ground, and it's a LOT easier to clean with no substrate, too.

I only keep b. lateralis and g. portentosa... I know other types of roaches require substrate and would use it if needed.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:confused: I don't use ANY substrate with my roaches... is there a specific reason why you guys do? Most of the people I know with colonies don't either. I don't have any problems with them reproducing on bare ground, and it's a LOT easier to clean with no substrate, too.

I only keep b. lateralis and g. portentosa... I know other types of roaches require substrate and would use it if needed.
Some people just prefer substrate because it makes the roaches happier. But the egg crate setup makes us happier. Because it is a lot easier to clean. Nothing wrong with either way. Substrate is usually used by those keeping them for pets instead of food for their other animals.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people just prefer substrate because it makes the roaches happier. But the egg crate setup makes us happier. Because it is a lot easier to clean. Nothing wrong with either way. Substrate is usually used by those keeping them for pets instead of food for their other animals.
I use no substrate at all for any of my roaches...just lots off egg crates and cardboard. I also don't use the sterlite containers either because some always end up finding a way out. I use 10 and 20 gal glass tanks and made a plexiglass lid for them both with a tight fit. I removed all the silicone on the corners with a razor (they climb the stuff) then covered it all with black Matt paper because they like it dark. Used spray adhesive for that.

My Dubia and Lats breed like crazy in these and no escapees! :cool:

People swear by the plastic bins but from my experience some always find a way out.

TheBugBarn

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't say they multiply quicky. They lay eggs, and it does take some time for the eggs to hatch. The newborns are tiny. A 20 gallon tub should be all you need. I don't use substrate, just plenty of egg crates.
Lateralis are SERIOUS climbers. I've even seen an "escapee" climbling across my ceiling. The best barrier I've found so far is packing tape. It' s like glass, and they can't climb that.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought that they are non climbing species.would Vaseline work?

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are climbers but not glass and smooth surface climbers... but the tiny ones seem to always find tiny grooves in plastic in places and find a way up. Or even if a plastic bin has dust on it the small ones will climb right up. that's why my lits snap shut with no room for escapees.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use no substrate at all for any of my roaches...just lots off egg crates and cardboard. I also don't use the sterlite containers either because some always end up finding a way out. I use 10 and 20 gal glass tanks and made a plexiglass lid for them both with a tight fit. I removed all the silicone on the corners with a razor (they climb the stuff) then covered it all with black Matt paper because they like it dark. Used spray adhesive for that.

My Dubia and Lats breed like crazy in these and no escapees! :cool:

People swear by the plastic bins but from my experience some always find a way out.

Nice setup. I have mine in a small container right now. I only have 7. Started with 8, but one is gone and I have no clue how. I can't wait until they are adult and breeding because I am already tired of buying crickets for my T's. I don't even know if I have both sexes at this point. I sure hope so. If I have any males, they haven't grown wings yet.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can get them dirt cheap.... prolly even find someone to give you a few hundred...with only 7 you have a while till they mature..then a while more to lay eggs..then about 2-5 weeks for the eggs to hatch...if one disssapears its prolly because the others ate it. They will cannabalize if one dies or gets wounded.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can get them dirt cheap.... prolly even find someone to give you a few hundred...with only 7 you have a while till they mature..then a while more to lay eggs..then about 2-5 weeks for the eggs to hatch...if one disssapears its prolly because the others ate it. They will cannabalize if one dies or gets wounded.
I did not know that. That would explain the legs I saw. I just thought one molted when I saw the legs. Yeah, they are cheap. I payed 15 cent each. Maybe they will have them at the expo next time I go and I can pick up about 20 or so. I don't want too many. I only have 5 slings. Biggest being 1" (A. Versicolor) and smallest is 1/4" (A. Hentzi).

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought 100 of them because I am tired of getting crickets every week, plus they smell. I'll have to go look for a good enclosure tomorrow for them since they sound like escape artists. I'm a little bit paranoid of them getting loose and infesting my house. {D Do you put air holes in your containers? What size do you think I should get for 100?