B. Lateralis egg

winwin

Arachnoknight
My 1 and only female lat layed an egg 2days ago, and today it layed another 1, is it always like that? I removed both eggs and moved them to a vial with some damp coco peat. Is that the right thing to do?

Moose9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure about the frequency of every couple of days, but they are egg laying machines. Keep the eggs warm and damp and they should hatch without a problem. Mine seem to hatch out in about 3 weeks, average time.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Not sure about the frequency of every couple of days, but they are egg laying machines. Keep the eggs warm and damp and they should hatch without a problem. Mine seem to hatch out in about 3 weeks, average time.
I'm sure it's the same female that laid another egg because I only have 1 female. lol

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1 and only female lat layed an egg 2days ago, and today it layed another 1, is it always like that? I removed both eggs and moved them to a vial with some damp coco peat. Is that the right thing to do?
Starting with only one female...ambitious? I'm just curious as to why one would want to buy only one female if they wanted to start a colony, or did you just buy a few of them young?

They should hatch fine. If they dont in about 3 weeks--which is unlikely--then start troubleshooting. I think your method is fine. And yes, they lay eggs with great frequency when well fed and warm.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Starting with only one female...ambitious? I'm just curious as to why one would want to buy only one female if they wanted to start a colony, or did you just buy a few of them young?

They should hatch fine. If they dont in about 3 weeks--which is unlikely--then start troubleshooting. I think your method is fine. And yes, they lay eggs with great frequency when well fed and warm.
I used to have 40 juvies but all of them were eaten by my scorp and T before they even got to adult. Now I got some for free and at first there were only 1 pair of adults, now there are 3 males and not sure if the newly molted one is a female, I got around 15+ juvies. My cousin has 100 lats so by june, if mine isn't a good amount yet, I'll ask a few from him. :D

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to have 40 juvies but all of them were eaten by my scorp and T before they even got to adult. Now I got some for free and at first there were only 1 pair of adults, now there are 3 males and not sure if the newly molted one is a female, I got around 15+ juvies. My cousin has 100 lats so by june, if mine isn't a good amount yet, I'll ask a few from him. :D
Got it. To give you a time frame. When I started with 75 lateralis and it took about 4 months to get going. But, population growth is roughly geometric and so they multiple fast once you meet a certain amount. Good luck.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Got it. To give you a time frame. When I started with 75 lateralis and it took about 4 months to get going. But, population growth is roughly geometric and so they multiple fast once you meet a certain amount. Good luck.
Ok Thanks! I think it'll be a bit faster here in the Philippines because of the tropical weather. Lately we are experiencing el nino so it's very hot and humid. Temperature is around 30C most of the time.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Yesterday, the same female laid another egg. It's amazing how fast they lay eggs. I hope they grow fast as well.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And today, same female, another egg... Wow... :worship:
Ahaha loves them. Just dont let them get out, because they will infest you! haha

I had some A. lateralis escape about 3 years ago, and then I just let them die off a 1 year after I had them. Then last summer, my dad was modifying the bathroom and I saw a few big ones inside the wall.
I was like 'whats that dad?' hahahaha

and I am in canada... ! that was after 2 winters. they are pretty hardy.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Ahaha loves them. Just dont let them get out, because they will infest you! haha

I had some A. lateralis escape about 3 years ago, and then I just let them die off a 1 year after I had them. Then last summer, my dad was modifying the bathroom and I saw a few big ones inside the wall.
I was like 'whats that dad?' hahahaha

and I am in canada... ! that was after 2 winters. they are pretty hardy.
Woah, and to think I'm in the Philippines... They would really infest my house huh? I have only 1 escapee and it was still very small so I didn't worry too much about it.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Woah, and to think I'm in the Philippines... They would really infest my house huh? I have only 1 escapee and it was still very small so I didn't worry too much about it.
lol actually philipines is infested by lobster,lateralis and other pest sp roaches. I was watching news about food regulation and the police raided this place where they make bread and other asian pastry in the philipines. the place was kinda popular to the people over there, there where a lot of people buying goodies from that store. they check the back where they actually make the food. the place is messy and there are a lot of rotting stuff, when they flip some of the walls I saw at least 6 different sp of roaches but the most noticable are the lobsters and red runners.

the best way to control those roaches is buying this pesticide that looks like a chalk, where you just need to draw a line where you don't want roaches or ants to pass, if a roach or ant past the line they will die in 2-3 mins :)

winwin

Arachnoknight
lol actually philipines is infested by lobster,lateralis and other pest sp roaches. I was watching news about food regulation and the police raided this place where they make bread and other asian pastry in the philipines. the place was kinda popular to the people over there, there where a lot of people buying goodies from that store. they check the back where they actually make the food. the place is messy and there are a lot of rotting stuff, when they flip some of the walls I saw at least 6 different sp of roaches but the most noticable are the lobsters and red runners.

the best way to control those roaches is buying this pesticide that looks like a chalk, where you just need to draw a line where you don't want roaches or ants to pass, if a roach or ant past the line they will die in 2-3 mins :)
Yeah, I use that. But I don't think we have lats here. It's like a lat but a lot bigger. And very red and can fly and climb. I saw another roach I fed to my wild caught scorpion I don't know what roach that was but it was big, around 2.5".

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

humans need to be gross for roaches to be viewed as gross :S lol

winwin

Arachnoknight
How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? The 1st egg was on May 4 and until now none has hatched...

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? The 1st egg was on May 4 and until now none has hatched...
It's normal for them to take well over a month depending on temp and humidity, so I wouldn't fret yet. I keep mine at 85 Fahrenheit in an incubator and it still takes 3-4 weeks for the majority to hatch.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Do you really need to separate the eggs from the rest of the colony?
This thread is a decade old. :banghead:
And you could've figured out that question if you just searched for it.
No, it does not HAVE to be separated, but you CAN if you want to.