B. Dubia Colony Heating?????

zm378205

Arachnopeon
I have heard that the roaches thrive 85-92 degrees. I was wondering how most people achevied these temps. Do you use human heating pads, reptile heating pads, or another source and if other please explain. If there are other links that I should check out please let me know

Thanks

jmiller

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Human heating pads or reptile under tank heaters both work well. Under tank heaters should be on a reostat.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, the best idea if you are seriously considering to keep your colony going for a long time is, besides having the room at that temps (which is hard) is to get ceramic heating lamp.

http://www.qshifterhobbies.com/images/09/feb/ceramic_heat_lamp.jpg

You can get them at most of the pet stores. You would need to get the heating lamp and the right side of
this http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/giant/501520.jpg (sorry, I dont remmember the name of it in English)
to support the heat of the lamp.

A 75 W one will be enought to heat a big tub of roaches.

They are a little pricey but last long and works great to achieve those temps.

Last edited:

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Anyone know if it would be better to use a space heater in a small room to heat my colony or to use a heat pad... It seems like I have heard that the control of the room temp is better than just using a heat pad??? any advice or suggestions??

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An upside to using a space heater is that you can keep your Ts in the warm room as well as the dubia colony.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just have a heatmat hanging vertically in the middle of my vertical eggboxing. So the mat is actually inside the container, this way a vertical and horizontal heat gradient is created so the roaches can regulate themselves (move closer or away from the mat as appropriate).

I did have to cut a small hole in the lid to feed the cable through it but my roaches are happy even in the frigid conditions of the UK :)

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just keep mine in the airing cupboard. It's always around 25-30 degrees in there (77-86F) and they're breeding fine.

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OMG, if you keep them that warm you will shortly be overrun. Mine seem to double the population every 11 days, in a 65 degree room. That's without feeding or watering them more than once a week. I had to kill off some there were getting to be so many.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a standard heating pad from Rite-aid and placed it under the bin. At first I used it direct (without the cover) and it created hi temps for the floor. http://www.amazon.com/SoftHeat-Heat.../dp/B0000E3J98/ref=acc_glance_hpc_ai_-2_3_tit

Than I used the cover and it buffered it to a more manageable temp. The room temperature has an effect on the final temps it puts out. I have it placed a little under half the bin's bottom. Have found that I am getting babies{D Temps are between 80-90F with humidity between 60-80%