b. boemhi climbing

jmoneyman

Arachnopeon
I recently filled up my tarantulas enclosure with more substrate after inadequate amount of it previous to adding more and my tarantula is still climbing the walls of her enclosure! it's so hard to figure out what's wrong but I've been keeping the humidity a lot lower than before at around 49 percent and before I put more substrate in it was at a steady 67 or 68 percent thinking that was the reason she was climbing only to find myself wondering why she's still climbing after the substrate fill and humidity drop. I didn't take anything out or move anything around, literally just filled it up with more coco fiber and it's been 6 days with the new substrate in. she will not get off the glass!!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
nothings wrong they all do that anytime their dirt has been messed with. it will settle down again

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
no that's how old it is here's the picture
In those pics, the substrate looks really loose and spongy. Think about going to the beach and walking in really deep sand, or trying to walk through deep snow - it's no fun. Tarantulas don't like it either, so they tend to stay on the sides of the enclosure when that's the only solid surface. Make sure the substrate is packed down so that it's firm, then just be patient - it can take weeks for a T to settle in, if not longer.

Also, that mesh lid is a hazard, especially if your T climbs a lot. The tarsal class can get stuck, then they may detach a leg or otherwise injure themselves trying to get down. You should consider replacing it with acrylic that has lots of holes drilled in it for ventilation.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
no that's how old it is here's the picture
The substrate is not deep enough try and get some better pictures from above. It’s definitely not a mature male just wait till it molts again to sex it unless you already did that before.
In those pics, the substrate looks really loose and spongy. Think about going to the beach and walking in really deep sand, or trying to walk through deep snow - it's no fun. Tarantulas don't like it either, so they tend to stay on the sides of the enclosure when that's the only solid surface. Make sure the substrate is packed down so that it's firm, then just be patient - it can take weeks for a T to settle in, if not longer.

Also, that mesh lid is a hazard, especially if your T climbs a lot. The tarsal class can get stuck, then they may detach a leg or otherwise injure themselves trying to get down. You should consider replacing it with acrylic that has lots of holes drilled in it for ventilation.
yes
depends what brand the lid is the zilla ones are hard to replace . when Ts aren’t happy they wander. I got one enclosure needs some work .
most mine like tree bark but the last stuff I found was too thin to bake . Haven’t figured out what to do with it yet.

jmoneyman

Arachnopeon

I do have an acrylic lid I just need to drill more holes in in so the humidity doesn't rise which does happen with that lid specifically but would a mixture of other substrate help, when I added more substrate I made sure to pack it down as hard as I could?

The substrate is not deep enough try and get some better pictures from above. It’s definitely not a mature male just wait till it molts again to sex it unless you already did that before.
yes
depends what brand the lid is the zilla ones are hard to replace . when Ts aren’t happy they wander. I got one enclosure needs some work .
most mine like tree bark but the last stuff I found was too thin to bake . Haven’t figured out what to do with it yet.
here's a pic from above

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I do have an acrylic lid I just need to drill more holes in in so the humidity doesn't rise which does happen with that lid specifically but would a mixture of other substrate help, when I added more substrate I made sure to pack it down as hard as I could?
Stop worrying about humidity, simply keep the sub dry...that is all you need to be worrying about

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +

here's a pic from above
Maybe it was the angle of the other pics, but it looked fluffy to me. If it's packed down, then maybe your T just hasn't gotten used to the texture of it. I personally don't like coco coir because it seems to get really fluffy/loose when it's dry, so you might consider mixing in some top soil just to add a little weight to help it pack down better.

Mature male- he’s going to wander around like that. Give water and feed sparingly
Mature males will definitely wander, but the spider the OP posted pics of above is not mature, and might not even be a male. The pics are too dark to say for sure, but it looks kinda like a female to me.

jmoneyman

Arachnopeon
Maybe it was the angle of the other pics, but it looked fluffy to me. If it's packed down, then maybe your T just hasn't gotten used to the texture of it. I personally don't like coco coir because it seems to get really fluffy/loose when it's dry, so you might consider mixing in some top soil just to add a little weight to help it pack down better.

Mature males will definitely wander, but the spider the OP posted pics of above is not mature, and might not even be a male. The pics are too dark to say for sure, but it looks kinda like a female to me.
I'll be sure to go get a different substrate to mix it up with and see if it helps thanks everyone for the commentary and help.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince

you can see the emboli