B. boehmei vs. A. bicoloratum

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi!

My friend asked me for an advice, and unfortunately I cannot help him. Which of the two spiders mentioned in the topic would You get? Are they very much different in behavior, and appearance (from what I've seen - one is vibrant orange, the other yellow)?

We'll be thankful for any comments.

regards,
Thomas

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I already have 4 boehmei so I would get the bicoloratum.

I haven't had any experience with them so I can't comment on any differences.

From what I've seen, they both look very similar with only a couple discreet differences. For the life of me I can't remember what they are.

--Joe

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have both. My B. boehmei is a serious hair kicker while my A. bicoloratum is the sweetest T I've ever owned, temperment-wise - by a mile.

Differences that can be seen with the naked eye are a deeper 'pit' on the carapace of the B. boehmei while the A. bicoloratum has a very pronounced, raised, triangular feature on the front of it's carapace. I used to have the hardest time telling these apart from pictures until I owned both. Now the differences are too noticeable to overlook.

Oh, also, the B. boehmei is a darker orange, almost redish color while the A. bicoloratum is a duller, medium orange color.

Here are two pictures that show the differences quite nicely:

B. boehmei
http://giantspiders.com/boehmei male.jpg

A. bicoloratum
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/gal-A.bicoloratum.JPG

Last edited:

Arachnopeon
B. boehmei vs. A bicoloratum

I have had a 2.5" A. bicoloratum for about a year.(bought as female). It has fed maybe 3 times, premolt probably. She is shy,but does patrol her enclosure often, now les often as the time to molt probably is much closer. And she has no bald spot on her abdomen.I've had a 4" female B. boehmei for almost as long. She has a big bald spot on her abdomen(I have rehoused her twice) I believe Brachypelma to be more interesting than Aponopelma . Coloration to me is very similar. Both are bright orange and black. B. boehmei I would say is a bit shaggier (like a german sheppard dog the A. bicoloratum setae is short like a pitbull or boxer). They are both worth keeping. To me they are typical Aphonopelma/Brachypelma, accept the bicoloratum's color for the Aphonopelmas is the best I have experience with..

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bicoloratum is rarer and more valuable. Also considered better tempered. But to my eyes Boehmei is a better looking T. Certainly it's larger.

If I could only have one and cost wasn't a factor I'd probably get bicoloratum because of the coolness of its relative rarity and its docile disposition.

But I do only have one, and it's Bicoloratum. That tells you that cost is a factor, though Boehmei is not particularly cheap either.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The biggest A. bicoloratum i've had was about 4 inches not sure if they get any bigger, personally i'd go with the Brachypelma theyre more robust.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would go with the A. bicoloratum. Its one of my favorite T's (that's why its my avatar ;) ). B. boehmei are too flicky for me.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, yes. I forgot to mention - Definitely the A. bicoloratum over the B. boehmei. :D

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. bicoloratum has a very differently shaped carapace and tends to be more even tempered, but depending on where the spider is in the molt cycle, the colors can be very similar. Usually, boehmeis are red, while bioloratums are orange.

I have both species, and my favorite is my bicoloratum. She's an awesome T and absolutely beautiful.

She's also my avatar. :)

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i own both, but my opinion differs greatly from the rest.

b. boehmei all the way for me, that explains why i have a couple of boehmeis but only one bicoloratum.

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. bicoloratum is extremely slow growing. Ive had a sling since about last june and it has dug to the bottom of its vial and sealed up the entrance. Since then it has molted once but didn't look like it gained any size and still remains at the bottom of the vial. Its smaller than my pinky nail. So at that rate of growth it might outlive me. :eek:

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm gonna send him a link to the topic. Now I'm considering getting one of these, too :D

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelmas are notoriously slow growers. Did you put it in your will?

A. bicoloratum is extremely slow growing. Ive had a sling since about last june and it has dug to the bottom of its vial and sealed up the entrance. Since then it has molted once but didn't look like it gained any size and still remains at the bottom of the vial. Its smaller than my pinky nail. So at that rate of growth it might outlive me. :eek: