B. Boehmei Premolt?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So it has been refusing food for a week now, just as my B. Albopilosum did. my B. Albopilosum molted. my B. Boehmei hasnt so im asking is this premolt. It is 3/4 TO 1" DLS.
20160327_071751.jpg

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First your spider looks fat and healthy so nothing to worry about. Second if you don't want to loose your spider get rid of the substrate you're using, you will loose your sling if not remove the substrate when it molts.

The size of the water dish is to big get a water dish that it's at least the spiders size. You're going to drown the poor spider.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
First your spider looks fat and healthy so nothing to worry about. Second if you don't want to loose your spider get rid of the substrate you're using, you will loose your sling if not remove the substrate when it molts.

The size of the water dish is to big get a water dish that it's at least the spiders size. You're going to drown the poor spider.

pic is decieving, thats a water bottle cap with aquarium gravel. slings float right? not sure what i can use smaller than a water bottle cap. also the substrate is eco earth. this setup was reccomended from what i read by alot of the experienced guys here. but i do plan on changing over to topsoil after molt for each of my slings. whats the issue with the eco earth? how will my sling die? just curious cause tons of people use it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
forgot to add. yes i do know it is fat and healthy, but my question was is this premolt? im not worried about it not eating cause this could be normal, i was just asking is the abdomen premolt? my other T's either were fat and shiny or fat and black.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems that your sling has a lot of wood chip which to me it's something I would not use for substrate. I've seen tarantulas that have molted and have died from wood chip that can puncture a tarantula.
As for the water dish I would use a cotton ball in the water dish or a sponge that the spider is at least able to get out of the water dish safely. Remember that tarantulas do climb and fall. I wouldn't take the chance on a spider floating.

Just because it's not eating it doesn't mean your spider is in pre-molt but it is possible. It could just be it's not hungry or does not like the living condition that is living in. This is why I'm giving you the best advice I can give you so your little sling can live without having any harmful issues in the future.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
Does not look like pre-molt, but does not mean it isn't. At that size, the abdomen will darken and actually look glossy 2-5 days before the molt occurs. My boehmei will fast quite awhile before visible pre-molt occurs . Your sub is fine. Eco earth is my personal choice and I would stick with it if it is working for you. It certainly has for me. Your photo is deceiving though, it looks like Reptibark or similar product. Good looking sling! All the best.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
It seems that your sling has a lot of wood chip which to me it's something I would not use for substrate. I've seen tarantulas that have molted and have died from wood chip that can puncture a tarantula.
As for the water dish I would use a cotton ball in the water dish or a sponge that the spider is at least able to get out of the water dish safely. Remember that tarantulas do climb and fall. I wouldn't take the chance on a spider floating.

Just because it's not eating it doesn't mean your spider is in pre-molt but it is possible. It could just be it's not hungry or does not like the living condition that is living in. This is why I'm giving you the best advice I can give you so your little sling can live without having any harmful issues in the future.
thanks, i will go ahead and swap to topsoil today then. the eco earth is a little chippy, i think i can find some sponges to use as well. thanks for the advice.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sponges are bad. They are a source for bacteria. Eco earth is fine. I don't understand why Exoskeleton invertebrates is giving this advice...

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Sponges are bad. They are a source for bacteria. Eco earth is fine. I don't understand why Exoskeleton invertebrates is giving this advice...
Everything I've ever heard from many many experienced keepers says sponges are a HUGE no no, so I'm equally as puzzled. They're not gonna drown, they float as someone stated before.

cold blood

Staff member
I've had no issues using the same water dish for ts smaller than yours, its not something I would (or do) worry about.

It doesn't look pre-molt....at least not in the late stages. The dark spot will completely take over the rump prior to molting.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
thanks guys for clearing this up. i knew the setup i was using was what 90% here used.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm currently using the super shallow caps from Arrowhead brand water bottles with just enough water to completely cover the bottom for a couple of 2nd instar avic slings without any problems or concerns.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isn't bacteria everywhere? I personally don't use sponges or water dishes cause I mist the side walls of the enclosure for my slings. But if your going to use a water dish for a sling that is three times the size in my opinion I would use a cotton ball or a sponge. It's up to the tarantula keeper to see on how well kept/clean the tarantula enclosure should be kept that also includes water dishe, sponge, cotton ball etc. So if your worried about a sponge being filled with bacteria I be worrying about the water cap that it's full whatever your water cap has from what I've notice of your photo. Bacteria is everywhere.

Your sling is little from what I can see as I also see wood chips that I personally wouldn't use. As I stated before the spider will climb the walls of the enclosure so to prevent any kind of problems I would change some of the environment that it is in. In the wild spiders don't climb walls they have a choice of where is suitable for them to live. It's a personal of opinion as I have my own.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Isn't bacteria everywhere? I personally don't use sponges or water dishes cause I mist the side walls of the enclosure for my slings. But if your going to use a water dish for a sling that is three times the size in my opinion I would use a cotton ball or a sponge. It's up to the tarantula keeper to see on how well kept/clean the tarantula enclosure should be kept. So if your worried about a sponge being filled with bacteria I be worrying about the water cap that it's full whatever your water cap has from what I've notice of your photo. Bacteria is everywhere.

Your sling is little from what I can see as I also see wood chips that I personally wouldn't use. As I stated before the spider will climb the walls of the enclosure so to prevent any kind of problems I would change some of the environment that it is in. In the wild spiders don't climb walls they have a choice of where is suitable for them to live. It's a personal of opinion as I have my own.
While yes bacteria is everywhere, sponges act as incredible breeding grounds for all types of bacteria unlike just usual surfaces because of their porus nature and moisture retaining qualities, and even in houses contain more bacteria then almost anything else you can find around a common household, including toilets and the like. Not to mention they aren't exactly intuitive for Ts to drink from, it's much easier for them to just use water and much safer.

Edit: it's not just moisture, as a water dish obviosuly has that, it's the levels they retain constantly while still providing oxygen and surface area if I'm not mistaken.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
the water dish is absolutely acceptable, but i would swap to a finer grade substrate, b. smithi burrow as slings and that substrate i cant see supporting burrows. i would swap to the eco earth jungle mix or topsoil. your sling isnt in premolt or isnt far into premolt so rehousing now shouldnt be an issue.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Possible very early stage of pre-molt. Believe me, you'll know when a B. boehmei is about to molt. From my experience they are one of the easiest to tell when they are about to pop. They tend to have a very large, black and shiny balding abdomen. I know this is common for most sling in heavy pre-molt but I have found that my B. boehmei and B. smithi slings have all these signs in an almost exaggerated form :)

Oh and don't worry about the water dish, your sling will not drown.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
i did take some more eco earth and sifted it so only the finest, it almost looks like fine dirt now.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
it has now been 19 days, and wont eat. im not worried too much, because im still new to the whole hunger strikes some T's go on. but i also updated a new pic, it looks healthy so maybe its just refusing food for who knows. i also notice that it is always on top of its cork bark and never on the substrate, its loose bag eco earth, all my others are on it and have dug and such. maybe this one is just a odd ball who doesnt like its cage. any and all input is appreciated, ;)
20160331_130047.jpg 20160331_125150.jpg

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
1. Nice macro shots there!
2. It's a Brachi, get used to it. :shifty: My B. smithi goes about 2-3 months premolt and my B. albiceps (1.5") has been 29 days without food inside it's burrow for molt number 2.
3. My LP stayed on a small piece of bark for the first month i had her before she molted and finally began exploring.