B. boehmei or A. bicoloratum? I think boehmei...

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
This 4" T has been for sale at Petco for over 9 months for $149 - marked as a "Mexican Bloodleg". I asked the manager to save the molt for me (recently the bald spot had darkened) and it just molted 2 days ago. I think it is a female B.boehmei because of the fused spermatheca vs. an A.bicoloratum which would have a divided spermatheca according to my search on this forum.

I offered $60 which I would be willing to pay for a 4-4.5" female B.boehmei. The manager will give me a call after he checks his numbers.

Second opinions on sex, species, and price?

Thanks!
Nancy

Attachments

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Here is a better picture - I think the first image only shows the uterus externus. Am I on the right track? Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still a newbie...

Attachments

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Determining species would be much easier if you have a picture of the spider itself.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As mentioned,pics of spider if possible. And if he goes for it,$60 is a STEAL for a 4 inch female boehmei.......Heck of a Petco find...

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Oh, sorry - I didn't have my camera at the store, but they let me keep the exuvium so here is a picture of that... Does that help? I pretty much have it narrowed down to one of the two species, but like I said, I'm pretty new at this so I welcome your thoughts.

Attachments

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 for boehmei

The carapace isn't elevated enough to be AB

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last edited:

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your input. He has not responded to my offer yet, but if he doesn't go for my $60 and we start haggling, what do you think should be my maximum to still make it a reasonable deal given that he hasn't been able to sell it in 9 months?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since its its female, 100$ at that size seems still a steal. but this is my canadian price thinking!!!

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Those links are awesome, Crysta, thanks! I'm leaning towards B.boehmei still - I don't see the nob things on the corners of the spermatheca (I just looked again with my magnifying glass) and also the carapace of the live spider doesn't have as much black on it as the pictures of B.baumgarteni I see on Google images. Food for thought, though... I hadn't even considered that species. I'll keep you posted about whether the deal goes through. :)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your input. He has not responded to my offer yet, but if he doesn't go for my $60 and we start haggling, what do you think should be my maximum to still make it a reasonable deal given that he hasn't been able to sell it in 9 months?
Honestly,run a search in the classifieds and see what they have been going for.Just from our experience I can tell you anywhere from $80 all the way up to $150

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Update...

I offered $60 and after some thought the manager let me have her for $70. He was glad to find her a good home since she had been in the store for over a year. I know some people say, "don't support that kind of store because it will just encourage them to keep selling tarantulas", but I felt the spider had done her time and deserved parole.

Attachments

Austin

Arachnosquire
Ya I would definately say that T has done her time, haha. Congrats though for the great deal. I also vote B. Boehmei