B. Albopilosum strike

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
So, my B. Albo struck at my tongs just now, she didn't take a threat posture first (she's incredibly tolerant of me, so much so that I would almost believe she likes me) I was wondering, is it because I tong feed her? She sees the tongs and thinks there is food on the end of it? I probably need to buy a paint brush then if that's the case right (for corralling her I mean) I usually corral her with the tongs, but if she's gonna start striking at the tongs whenever she sees them, if there is no food on the end of it, eventually she'll hurt herself wont she? I've seen many MANY people on AB recommend a paint brush for corralling, or is there anything better at the job?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're not smart enough to make that analogy (tongs = food), so no, that's not the case.

Paintbrushes are great for manipulating spiders.

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
They're not smart enough to make that analogy (tongs = food), so no, that's not the case.

Well, you know far more about T's than I do, but the way she struck at it was almost identical to when she strikes for food, she showed no interest in it until the strike, then when she struck, she immediately began feeling around it with her pedipalps and front set of legs. Well in any case, why would she strike it? I've never had her show any aggression of any kind to ANYTHING other than food (in which she is a total monster, I might add)

Also, what kind of paintbrush? Probably a really long one? With a large bushel of bristles?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

They can't make the analogy, but they can think the tongs are in fact food. That is, until they strike them and realize they aren't.

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
They can't make the analogy, but they can think the tongs are in fact food. That is, until they strike them and realize they aren't.
Ok, well I wont use anything for corralling other than a paintbrush from now on, the tongs are hard, and might break her fang if she strikes them enough.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Perhaps if the tongs had the same chemical "smell" from the cricket/roach/mealworm/super/whatever the tarantula picked up on that and the vibrations and it was a case of mistaken identity. But I would say any kind of paintbrush that has a decent sized handle for you to corral with will be fine. I either use my coated tipped tongs or a pen or pencil to move my not slings around.