B. albopilosum - fascinating little T.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I had looked at these when my son got his first T but he decided on the P. vittata. I looked again when I was choosing my first T but decided on the more colourful OBT. Since then I tended to ignore the B. albopilosum as I really do like the brighter or more patterned Ts but Coco came as a freebie.

Coco has been with me just under 2 months measuring just 0.5 inch and in that time has completely charmed me. First it built a web between the cork bark and the small plant but then it started to dig and disappeared from view. I thought I was going to end up with a pet hole..... but no.... it has gone down the side of its tub and I have the fun of being able to watch its antics below ground. I've never seen it come out for food but 2 small live crickets disappear overnight every feed.

A week ago

Pic taken yesterday evening

And today. You can just see the tunnel around the bottom of the tub too.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Oh wait til it grows up. They are absurdly adorable once they start looking like adults...like a tarantula teddy bear. I have a pair of siblings, a confirmed female and a suspect male, and I legitimately consider buying more every time someone is selling slings.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Yay pics! :D I love brachys in general, but I definitely want more B. albos in my collection. I love how fuzzy and cute they are, and the fact that they'll be with me until I'm pushing 50 is also an attractive prospect. You've heard of crazy cat ladies? I'm going to be a crazy spider lady. LOL! Congrats on your freebie B. albo - you'll share many happy years together. :)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Oh wait til it grows up. They are absurdly adorable once they start looking like adults...like a tarantula teddy bear. I have a pair of siblings, a confirmed female and a suspect male, and I legitimately consider buying more every time someone is selling slings.
Agreed, Belle. I have 3 slings & 1 JF (Dee Dee). She is really funny to watch. A vicious hunter, it's funny to watch her attack the stream of water when I refill her water cap. :)

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 09:37 AM ----------

Yay pics! :D I love brachys in general, but I definitely want more B. albos in my collection. I love how fuzzy and cute they are, and the fact that they'll be with me until I'm pushing 50 is also an attractive prospect. You've heard of crazy cat ladies? I'm going to be a crazy spider lady. LOL! Congrats on your freebie B. albo - you'll share many happy years together. :)
They are such an underrated species, Lyth. They are ALMOST the perfect T for a beginner, even though they might seem a little drab looking. :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
They are such an underrated species, Lyth. They are ALMOST the perfect T for a beginner, even though they might seem a little drab looking. :)
Agreed 100%. I haven't had mine for long but I'm already enamored. What personality it has shown at this point reminds me very much of my Avic, Amaranth - it's remarkably dainty and gentle. Definitely a great beginner T - and while not the most colorful, still arguably one of the cuter species available in the hobby. :)

Drache

Arachnosquire
Oh my - they were definitely on my list, but this thread moved them nearly to the top.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I can't wait until it gets all hairy and curly.

The hole is still getting bigger. I've just fed all the little ones and 5 minutes later Coco had 2 crickets down the bottom and was happily chomping away on one.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have 4 slings from 1/4" to 3/4". All of them are different. Well the two 3/4" ones are siblings and are pretty similar except one after 3 months just started to build a fort.

They tackle crickets like nobody's business. If I ever downsize I'm keeping those 2 for sure. :)

cold blood

Staff member
I don't see why you would feed a sling more than one cricket per sitting. One is just fine.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I don't see why you would feed a sling more than one cricket per sitting. One is just fine.
It was an accident and because they were smaller than it had eaten the last few feeds I just left them.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
I bought a G. pulchripes and G. rosea sling in june/july and received a B. albo that was a little under 2" as a freebie. It has molted once already and I totally agree with you; they are fascinating. Mine has built a pretty sweet burrow under some bark and eats dubia roaches every chance I give her. She was very easy to house as well, not too jumpy or nervous. So far she is my favorite one that I own, but she is also the biggest so that might have something to do with it lol.

Mine started to come out after about a solid week or week and a half after fully constructing a burrow. Then I began to see her explore a little and wait at the entrance of her burrow for prey. I am not one to shun the 'pet holes' though, I am a big fan of my P. imperator scorpions which tend to be given the same title. They just ask for a little more patience from their keeper before they want to let you see how awesome they look in the open :)

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I have one around 1.5" right now and has anyone mentioned how sloooooow they grow. I mean, holy heck, my guy molts and doesn't seem to get any bigger! Seriously, the last three molts he almost hasn't changed at all. I know how good they look when they start nearing maturity, which is why this is driving me crazy!

P.S. I am impatient :p

Damon

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Ohh Noooooo. I've just had an email from one of my favourite online shops and they're selling these little ones at £3 (less than 5 USD) each. I could get 2 more plus 2 little deli cups and shipping all for £13.57 (22 USD) but I said I wasn't buying any more Ts. Heeelllpppp :eek:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Ohh Noooooo. I've just had an email from one of my favourite online shops and they're selling these little ones at £3 (less than 5 USD) each. I could get 2 more plus 2 little deli cups and shipping all for £13.57 (22 USD) but I said I wasn't buying any more Ts. Heeelllpppp :eek:
Nope, shan't. Buy them, you know you want to. >:D

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say get them you know you want to lol

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm going to help you..... encourage you to get them!! how can you NOT get them at that price? I mean really... :/

;)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I'm going to help you..... encourage you to get them!! how can you NOT get them at that price? I mean really... :/

;)
Agreed, Enn. They really are little sweethearts. When I make orders, I usually get one as a freebie, which I don't mind at all. I've gotten 4 this way. LOL

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Having thought about it overnight, I have decided to be good and not buy them. The main reason being that I have no more cat proof space for them until my LPs are big enough to move out and into their larger homes. It was a hard decision but their safety comes first.