B.albo upsidedown? Dead or Molting?

bxzel

Arachnopeon
I checked my B.albo enclosure this afternoon, I notice that he or she (Unsex 3 inches) is upside down
I also notice that he or she made a lot of web. So my question is. Is he or she is still in the molting
process or is he or she about to die? I saw some of his/her legs are moving a little bit. Please help I have 39 other tarantulas but
this is the first time that it happened to one of my Ts.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I checked my B.albo enclosure this afternoon, I notice that he or she (Unsex 3 inches) is upside down
I also notice that he or she made a lot of web. So my question is. Is he or she is still in the molting
process or is he or she about to die? I saw some of his/her legs are moving a little bit. Please help I have 39 other tarantulas but
this is the first time that it happened to one of my Ts.
thats how they molt! do not touch the T. what I am confuse about is you have 39 T's and you don't know how they molt?

bxzel

Arachnopeon
thats how they molt! do not touch the T. what I am confuse about is you have 39 T's and you don't know how they molt?
False alarm it is molting :p. 35 of my Ts are still slings :p. I spend 300$ just to buy 35 different species of tarantulas this past
christmas. the other 5 are Sub-adult and Adult tarantulas. And 4 of those sub adult and adult Ts are in my possession for about a year now. I don't see them very often in the molting process. I usually see them already molted. So this is NEW to me.
Planning on adding 10 more Ts this upcoming February. Tarantulas are so cheap here in the Philippines.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
False alarm it is molting :p. 35 of my Ts are still slings :p. I spend 300$ just to buy 35 different species of tarantulas this past
christmas. the other 5 are Sub-adult and Adult tarantulas. And 4 of those sub adult and adult Ts are in my possession for about a year now. I don't see them very often in the molting process. I usually see them already molted. So this is NEW to me.
Planning on adding 10 more Ts this upcoming February. Tarantulas are so cheap here in the Philippines.
not going to lie man I am cringing right now. please do me a favor and learn as much about each species as you can. that way you won't need to ask question that should be known before jumping in to this hobby especially if you have so many T's in your possession.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most others have given great advice already, but I wanted to add another quick anecdote, about another sling b. albo actually, and molting.
The other night I was checking on my smaller slings, this one was about 1 and a half inches and had looked pretty fat for a bit, stopped eating, etc. It didn't make any webs, and when I checked on it, it was on its side, in a death curl type position, and it looked like it's abdomen exploded or split, and it was just -- a gooey mess.

When I tried to just get a closer look into the container, the T even kind of rolled over onto the other side, totally lifeless. It literally looked like an exploded mess. I thought it was done for. I have seen a lot of molts in various stages and this looked nothing like it - it looked like an exploding spider. I debated whether or not I should move it to an ICU type thing, but when looking really close, it looked like there were some legs sticking out in odd places, so I thought maybe it was molting and just died mid-molt or was in the process of dying, and me interfering would likely make it worse.

I just left it alone and went to bed.

The next morning, the T was standing next to the molt - it looked healthy as can be. If I had moved it or tried an ICU I would have killed it, I am sure. And it looked DONE FOR by how gooey, exploded, and how the abdomen looked wrecked.

My theory? I would say if it's at all remotely a chance that a T is molting and looks like it's in distress, it's best to just let it be if you are in doubt.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Most others have given great advice already, but I wanted to add another quick anecdote, about another sling b. albo actually, and molting.
The other night I was checking on my smaller slings, this one was about 1 and a half inches and had looked pretty fat for a bit, stopped eating, etc. It didn't make any webs, and when I checked on it, it was on its side, in a death curl type position, and it looked like it's abdomen exploded or split, and it was just -- a gooey mess.

When I tried to just get a closer look into the container, the T even kind of rolled over onto the other side, totally lifeless. It literally looked like an exploded mess. I thought it was done for. I have seen a lot of molts in various stages and this looked nothing like it - it looked like an exploding spider. I debated whether or not I should move it to an ICU type thing, but when looking really close, it looked like there were some legs sticking out in odd places, so I thought maybe it was molting and just died mid-molt or was in the process of dying, and me interfering would likely make it worse.

I just left it alone and went to bed.

The next morning, the T was standing next to the molt - it looked healthy as can be. If I had moved it or tried an ICU I would have killed it, I am sure. And it looked DONE FOR by how gooey, exploded, and how the abdomen looked wrecked.

My theory? I would say if it's at all remotely a chance that a T is molting and looks like it's in distress, it's best to just let it be if you are in doubt.
its not uncommon for a T to molt in a different position besides upside down. its just the normal way to molt for a T to be upside down, because its easy to do it that way. that doesn't mean their are not exception to the rule or I like to call them the rebels. :)

alpine

Arachnosquire
OP might I suggest the Tarantula Keepers Guide? It'll clear up a lot of these types of questions. That thing literally answered questions I didn't even know I had.

bxzel

Arachnopeon
not going to lie man I am cringing right now. please do me a favor and learn as much about each species as you can. that way you won't need to ask question that should be known before jumping in to this hobby especially if you have so many T's in your possession.

You don't need to worry. I know each of the species needs when it comes to humidity, substrate and
other basic stuffs. I also know that you must not touch or do anything to a tarantula while it is in premolt, molting and after it molts (Wait for its exoskeleton to harden up). Since it is the first time I saw
one of my Ts to do that for the very first time (Being upside down for 1 1/2 days), I was worried. Now that I know BETTER about the molting process I can be a better keeper now. I CAN LEARN FROM IT. :happy:

And btw my P.Regalis is one mean SOB, but I love her so much =)

alpine

Arachnosquire
You don't need to worry. I know each of the species needs when it comes to humidity, substrate and
other basic stuffs. I also know that you must not touch or do anything to a tarantula while it is in premolt, molting and after it molts (Wait for its exoskeleton to harden up). Since it is the first time I saw
one of my Ts to do that for the very first time (Being upside down for 1 1/2 days), I was worried. Now that I know BETTER about the molting process I can be a better keeper now. I CAN LEARN FROM IT. :happy:

Well in the future just keep in mind that generally Ts don't turn over and die, they only turn over to molt, when they are dying their legs curl up under them.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thirty five slings and you don't recognize or are not familiar with the molting process??? Please people, if you respect animals, research, research, research - before, not after, becoming a pet owner.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel

I am worried because, you think you did all your research, but you seemed to miss the most basic and important one of all. I am not trying to be mean, but I feel you have jump in the deep end of the pool with out learning to swim.

Last edited:

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
Dont worry about these guys criticism too much. None of your ts died yet. I kinda get their point but at the same time there are varying opinions on about every other topic like humidity.....

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Dont worry about these guys criticism too much. None of your ts died yet. I kinda get their point but at the same time there are varying opinions on about every other topic like humidity.....
seriously ? your implying that Molting or knowing about molting is a debatable topic. this isn't about Humidity or temperature for a certian specie this is about a crucial information that any beginner should know before buying even one T. so he may have the environmental condition done, but clearly not the basics down.

Last edited:

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Hmm a lot of alarm bells ringing in this thread... Singaporesling, the reason people come to this site is to gain knowledge from experienced keepers and general information about Ts for you to tell T/S to ifnore the advice given is ridiculous.

As for T/S a lot of good information has been given to you mainly, RESEARCH!!! So you own 39 Ts including some OW yet you can't even recognise a T when molting? I'm seriously dumbfounded by this, so you spent $300 on something you have seemingly done little research on? Mannnn I can't even respond to this bs seriously.

I'll see you in the bite reports along with your Poeci.

Peace.

bxzel

Arachnopeon
Hmm a lot of alarm bells ringing in this thread... Singaporesling, the reason people come to this site is to gain knowledge from experienced keepers and general information about Ts for you to tell T/S to ifnore the advice given is ridiculous.

As for T/S a lot of good information has been given to you mainly, RESEARCH!!! So you own 39 Ts including some OW yet you can't even recognise a T when molting? I'm seriously dumbfounded by this, so you spent $300 on something you have seemingly done little research on? Mannnn I can't even respond to this bs seriously.

I'll see you in the bite reports along with your Poeci.

Peace.
Woah! Hold it right there. I know when it is in premolt or not. I'm just new to the fact that my B.Albo's
molting process takes too long to molt about a day and a half. Besides I know the basic stuffs like
don't touch them while they are in premolt, molting and after their molt (Arrgghhh Do I even need to
type this one again for people like you?).
Yeah I admit, I am only a newbie in the hobby but you don't need to sound like a JERK.
BOTTOM LINE is it didn't died and so far I DIDN'T commit ANY MISTAKES.

Me getting bitten by my Poeci? Yeah you wish.....I know that they are very aggressive and
lightning fast. But I am cautious enough to avoid it.

And btw I only have 10 old-world Ts. These are

0.1.0 P.Regalis - approximately 5-6 inches ( I raised her from a half an inch sling) (My FAVORITE)
0.1.0 C. Darlingi - approximately 4-5 inches (I raised her from a 2.5 inch juvenile)
1.0.0 C. Marshali -approximately 3-4 inches ( I raised him from a half an inch sling)
0.0.1 Chilobrachys Burmensis - 1 inches
0.0.1 Ceratogyrus meridionalis - 1 inches
0.0.1 Ceratogyrus sanderi - 1 inches
0.0.1 Pterinochilus chordatus - 1 inches
0.0.1 Poecilotheria pederseni - 1 inches
0.0.1 Malaysian Earth Tiger - 1 inches
0.0.1 Poecilotheria ornata - 1 inches

Peace.

---------- Post added 01-11-2013 at 02:17 AM ----------

Well in the future just keep in mind that generally Ts don't turn over and die, they only turn over to molt, when they are dying their legs curl up under them.
Don't worry I will learn from this experience. I'm about to sell my corn snakes and my hedgehogs to become a full time tarantula
hobbyist.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Mod note

Seems this thread might be headed that way, so before it does I just want to remind you all to keep posts civil, and critisisms helpful.